2026 Tour de France Competition: FINAL STANDINGS

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
Clacton White
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:56 pm

Re: Cycling fans? Tour De France competition?

Post by Clacton White »

Definitely interested, it's only a few weeks away I think . Last month we visited one of the towns that will have the Tour going through it this year ....Evian on Lake Geneva . Love watching the tour for some of the towns and villages it goes through and the fantastic countryside. Count me in !
The only problem might be Pogdacar is levels ahead of the rest now , he is as far ahead as Mercyx was in his day .
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20753
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Cycling fans? Tour De France competition?

Post by whiteswan »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2026 8:34 am I don’t think there is anything more divisive than the cyclist and driver argument. And yet, as with most things in life, it’s the 1% idiots in both camps who fuel the debate. Most cyclists are aware of the issues and cause no problem. Most car drivers are respectful and show patience.
If I'm on our very quiet country roads with no other car in sight and a cyclist is coming towards me I stop, allowing the cyclist to navigate safely past me.

But I agree with some of the comments on here about inconsiderate cyclists. The ones who just pull out of another road without looking, the ones who race down my little lane where I live, the ones racing on the footpaths where it is illegal to cycle. In fact a dog was killed on one of out footpaths when an idiot on a bike hit it. Too many internal injuries for it to survive.

You are right OB, there's good 'uns and bad 'uns in both camps.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Cycling fans? Tour De France competition?

Post by Jaydog »

Chilli D wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2026 6:35 am A member of my cycle group was hit by a van while out on a solo ride only last month and died after being in a coma for 3 weeks. I was a pall bearer at his funeral on Friday. A very sad day for me.
The driver of the van was arrested for being under the influence of drugs.
My condolences Chilli 😞
That is absolutely shocking.

I was knocked off my bike many years ago by a suspected drunk driver. I have never ridden on a public road since. Its either forest tracks or old tarmac railway lines etc
I have heard many stories of road rage involving cyclists. No thanks!
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3350
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:02 am

Re: Cycling fans? Tour De France competition?

Post by GreennWhite »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2026 5:44 am I’ve watched TDF religiously since the early 90s because the ITV highlights coverage was so good, but last year when it became pay to view I stopped on principle (even though I had access to the channel it was on) and didn’t see a single second. Same again this year, I’m afraid.
I do cycle though, but it’s becoming more dangerous, especially where I live. I’m in the countryside with lots of twisty bends and high stone walls. Although my area is home to a Scottish designated cycle route, drivers never seem to give a hoot about the fact. It’s war out there, and the person on two wheels never comes out on top.
OB, maybe I'm not reading your post correctly but i watched the TDF highlights last year on TV and it was free. Cant remember exactly what channel it was on, maybe ITV4 ? But it was definitely free.
And i read today that Channel 5 have agreed a deal with TNT to show highlights for the 2026 TDF race for free in the UK. So keep an eye out for that closer to the start of the race.
I'm not much of a cycling fan, but i like to watch the highlights to see all the great places the tour goes through on its journey. When i niece lived in France we followed the tour for 3 days across part of the country and it was a good experience. 8-)
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155274
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Cycling fans? Tour De France competition?

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2026 11:25 am If I'm on our very quiet country roads with no other car in sight and a cyclist is coming towards me I stop, allowing the cyclist to navigate safely past me.

But I agree with some of the comments on here about inconsiderate cyclists. The ones who just pull out of another road without looking, the ones who race down my little lane where I live, the ones racing on the footpaths where it is illegal to cycle. In fact a dog was killed on one of out footpaths when an idiot on a bike hit it. Too many internal injuries for it to survive.

You are right OB, there's good 'uns and bad 'uns in both camps.
I nearly got knocked over in Beverley last Friday. I was exiting a shop in the precinct & a young cyclist missed me by inches as he flew past me. I've noticed a lot of teenagers using the footpaths/precincts as a cycle track of late.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Cycling fans? Tour De France competition?

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2026 11:44 am I nearly got knocked over in Beverley last Friday. I was exiting a shop in the precinct & a young cyclist missed me by inches as he flew past me. I've noticed a lot of teenagers using the footpaths/precincts as a cycle track of late.
Its those electric bikes doing 50+ that are going to kill somebody.
You don’t hear them.
However they are delivering food to fat people so fair enough 🙄😆
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 11781
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Re: Cycling fans? Tour De France competition?

Post by Barlow Boy »

whiteswan wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2026 11:25 am If I'm on our very quiet country roads with no other car in sight and a cyclist is coming towards me I stop, allowing the cyclist to navigate safely past me.

But I agree with some of the comments on here about inconsiderate cyclists. The ones who just pull out of another road without looking, the ones who race down my little lane where I live, the ones racing on the footpaths where it is illegal to cycle. In fact a dog was killed on one of out footpaths when an idiot on a bike hit it. Too many internal injuries for it to survive.

You are right OB, there's good 'uns and bad 'uns in both camps.
🤬🤬🤬
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79058
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Cycling fans? Tour De France competition?

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2026 11:53 am Its those electric bikes doing 50+ that are going to kill somebody.
You don’t hear them.
However they are delivering food to fat people so fair enough 🙄😆
Going to? They have and just recently

https://www.itv.com/watch/news/teenaged ... ng/2n8bpv3
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Cycling fans? Tour De France competition?

Post by Jaydog »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2026 1:04 pm Going to? They have and just recently

https://www.itv.com/watch/news/teenaged ... ng/2n8bpv3
And on drugs. 7 years is not enough imo.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Chilli D
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8784
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Cycling fans? Tour De France competition?

Post by Chilli D »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2026 11:41 am My condolences Chilli 😞
That is absolutely shocking.

I was knocked off my bike many years ago by a suspected drunk driver. I have never ridden on a public road since. Its either forest tracks or old tarmac railway lines etc
I have heard many stories of road rage involving cyclists. No thanks!
It was at a junction on the A134 at Long Melford Jay.
I've had a number of close shaves myself but thankfully haven't been knocked off.
If I can feel a motorist getting impatient behind me, I will pull over and let them pass rather than them pulling an idiot manoeuvre and either taking me out or an oncoming vehicle
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
User avatar
Evan R
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2025 2:38 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: Cycling fans? Tour De France competition?

Post by Evan R »

Chilli D wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2026 2:23 pm It was at a junction on the A134 at Long Melford Jay.
I've had a number of close shaves myself but thankfully haven't been knocked off.
If I can feel a motorist getting impatient behind me, I will pull over and let them pass rather than them pulling an idiot manoeuvre and either taking me out or an oncoming vehicle
Chili I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Every cyclist's biggest nightmare. I do this as well, especially on climbs where cars cannot safely pass and are impatient.
User avatar
Evan R
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2025 2:38 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: Cycling fans? Tour De France competition?

Post by Evan R »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2026 8:34 am I don’t think there is anything more divisive than the cyclist and driver argument. And yet, as with most things in life, it’s the 1% idiots in both camps who fuel the debate. Most cyclists are aware of the issues and cause no problem. Most car drivers are respectful and show patience.
I think this sums it up well, OB.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Cycling fans? Tour De France competition?

Post by Jaydog »

Chilli D wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2026 2:23 pm It was at a junction on the A134 at Long Melford Jay.
I've had a number of close shaves myself but thankfully haven't been knocked off.
If I can feel a motorist getting impatient behind me, I will pull over and let them pass rather than them pulling an idiot manoeuvre and either taking me out or an oncoming vehicle
Very sad Chilli. Hopefully the culprit gets punished severely.

My neighbour was out with a group and someone came past them in a dangerous manner so one of the group gave her the🖕
In a country lane. She turned round and came back to try & run them over. They clambered up in to the verge to escape. Nutter 😳
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Evan R
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2025 2:38 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: Cycling fans? Tour De France competition?

Post by Evan R »

Well I didn't realize this would stir up such a conversation! I think Orange Box summed it up very well- mostly it's just the small % of jerks on either end of it causing the problems. Mostly people are considerate, decent human beings.

Glad to see there are a good amount of fellow cyclists here on the MOT forum! I searched and didn't see any pre-existing threads for general cycling discussion so I was thinking to create one and then leave this one for the TDF competition. Looks like there is enough initial interest to give it a go! By my count potentially 6? Chilli, Malcolm, Finnatic, Pullhard, Clacton, and myself. Still considering how to construct the competition. Will follow up.
User avatar
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 15042
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: 2026 Tour de France Competition

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Evan R wrote: ↑Sun Jun 21, 2026 11:27 pm Any other cycling fans? Looking forward to the upcoming TDF, as always. Considering a sort of competiton if any interest and if not- just a space for general discussion.

Would be looking forward to it if it was still on ITV with the best commentary team in sport.

Alas it's on TNT now which is £30 a month.
User avatar
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Cycling fans? Tour De France competition?

Post by malcolmw »

Evan R wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2026 5:15 am It is a really fascinating sport. Seeing them battle in the mountains and all the tactics that go into setting up a stage. Have you checked out the Netflix documentary they did for a few years back? I really enjoyed it.

That’s too bad on the coverage. Fortunately it’s included with Peacock here in the states which also gives me EPL and darts coverage as well.
I'll let you know if I can find a relatively cheap way of getting it this year.
User avatar
Evan R
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2025 2:38 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: 2026 Tour de France Competition

Post by Evan R »

That's too bad about all the issues many of you are having with TV coverage these days. I feel fortunate to be able to just login using my friend's Peacock account.. but even if I was paying it isn't too bad compared to what I'm seeing on here! :shock:
User avatar
Finnatic
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6711
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: 2026 Tour de France Competition

Post by Finnatic »

YorkshireSquare wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2026 8:06 pm Would be looking forward to it if it was still on ITV with the best commentary team in sport.

Alas it's on TNT now which is £30 a month.
The highlights show was on Blaze (?) or one of those channels included in Virgin or Sky packages, last year. Somebody usually shows it if you search.
User avatar
Finnatic
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6711
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: 2026 Tour de France Competition

Post by Finnatic »

Just done a search and Channel Five are showing the highlights at 7pm UK time.
That’s good for me as I can get C5 in HD and it’s free to air.
User avatar
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 15042
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: 2026 Tour de France Competition

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Evan R wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22, 2026 10:36 pm That's too bad about all the issues many of you are having with TV coverage these days. I feel fortunate to be able to just login using my friend's Peacock account.. but even if I was paying it isn't too bad compared to what I'm seeing on here! :shock:

Used to get it free on both ITV and Eurosport :(
Post Reply