andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Sun Nov 10, 2024 5:30 pm
May be a part of football too. I think crowds in football as a whole are getting quieter. Clubs are promoting the game to the suits and the tourists - people who attend one game a year. It softens the atmosphere. Most are probably showing up nowadays to hear the songs rather than sing the songs.
I remember on my one trip to Elland Road I had to buy a hospitality ticket as I wasn't able to procure a ticket among the real fans. When everyone stood to sing Marching On Together at the start of the game I was a lone voice among a sea of people who couldn't be bothered. Later, when Ayling scored the wonder goal (vs. Huddersfield, just before Covid shut everything down), I was the only one in the entire section who jumped out of his seat.
I am grateful I had the opportunity to see a game at Elland Road. It was quite literally the fulfillment of a lifelong dream. I am certain, however, that I missed out by not being able to sit with the real fans and I am also certain that the overall atmosphere was robbed of what it could have been by hundreds of people in the crowd who were there because........well.....who knows why they were there?
That being said, the atmosphere was still amazing. I have been to World Series games, NFL and NBA playoff games, and some historic college football rivalry games, and the electricity in the crowd at ER was the equal of, if not greater than, any of them, and that was for a regular season game (albeit one where Leeds went top of the table).