Starting XI

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Starting XI

Post by weasel »

Given that a fair few of our players will leave, a hope that we are able to re-invest a decent chunk of the money, a realism over players we are likely able to sign put the line-up you'd like to see.

I will kick off by saying I can't see any of the loanees returning with the possible exception of Aaronsen as there may be no takers. As such I will include him in my squad but he doesn't make my starting XI although it may suit him playing in this 'lower' league. I expect Rutter, Summerville, Gnonto and Messlier to leave - I hope we get fees for all of them as I wouldn't expect Summerville and Gnonto to have loan clauses. Rutter may have a loan clause though given his wages - in all honesty though I wouldn't mind him leaving on loan and then coming back an improved player as he can learn and improve elsewhere. Rodon will likely return but it may be in our budget to get him though I could see Ipswich going in for him. Firpo may leave, likely he will have a loan clause, though there is a chance he stays. As such I am going to say that Firpo and Rodon leave and Rodon signs elsewhere rather than returning.

GK Alex McCarthy
LB
RB
CB Struyjk
CB Ampadu
DM Gruev
CM Gray
LW Jack Clarke
RW Dan James
FW Joseph
FW Piroe

GK - I'm sure McCarthy came to us on loan many moons ago and did well. He is out of contract and likely Southampton will buy someone. As such his choice is likely to be on the bench in the prem or look to come to a club where he can start (he was originally back up at Saints). As such I would look to sign him as would be a freebie and he is experienced and has dealy with the pressure of playing at ER.

Fullbacks is a tricky situation. I'd keep Byram as a more than capable back-up for both sides but obviosuly we cannot rely on the fitness. If Firpo stays I m fine with him at left back but I think he will go and at least we now have a chance of recuperating some money for him. I really can't say I have noticed any decent full backs so will take suggestions on those positions.

CB Struyjk is fine at CB if he is over his injuries. I'd keep Ampadu there mainly because we have 3 DMs and I'd be looking to only play 1. I would expect Cooper and Cresswell to go so we need back-up or a starter and we then push Ampadu into midfield.

DM Given I have Ampadu staying in defence I'd go with Gruev. Kamara always seemed just to be a player we knew we could get but was our back-up plan. Tidy enough but we need more in our midfield than Gruev and Kamara have. I'd then have Gray as a more orthodox midfielder and hope he can add goals and creativity to the side.

LW I'd be tempted to go for Clarke, he won't be cheap and he may have lower prem sides after him. However the opportunity to return here might appeal to him and the chance to come to a big club rather than meander in the lower reaches of the prem fighting relegation. If not then the lad at Preston might be worth a punt as he looked handy against us.

RW and hopefully Dan James stays

FW Piroe - let's see how well he plays as the focal point of our attack. When he was in the side with Dan James he was playing more as a 10. James is less greedy than Summerville and Gnonto and similarly if we got someone like Clarke he is an intelligent player who can create plenty for a good finisher.

FW Joseph - sod all the no.10 stuff and play with two strikers. If they both get 20+ it gives us a great platform.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Starting XI

Post by Cjay »

Better get Pukki, Buendia and Krul in.

He's never had any success without them performing miracles . . . . :oops:

Besides we have a £70mil transfer debt to pay for first.
Last edited by Cjay on Sun May 26, 2024 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier
Gray
Firpo
Ampadu
Cresswell
Struijk
James
?
Joseph
Piroe
Georginio - playing here on the left wing, he has way too much talent to leave out

We could use a progressive 8, depth at wing back both sides, couple of wingers for depth assuming Cry/Willy/Anthony and Harrison are not playing for us. I don't expect Geo to leave.... Cry and Willy, even Gray we make profits on. Don't want to negate that by big losses on Rutter
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Had we gone up Cry is worth 30 plus, Willy 20/25 plus. Think we lose a fair chunk of that now as we're a second tier club still
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Van Ewiejk at RB from Coventry would be amazing. Might’ve been the best RB in the league and that’s saying something.

Also O’Hare at the 10 would be nice.

Not sold on Clarke at LW as he seems to go missing for long stretches.

Not sold on retaining Piroe. He’s not a 9 and is not a 10. Very few teams can operate a system that suits that profile. He looked decent for a few games this year, but we need a real 10 and a real 9 (unless people want to bring in a new manager that utilizes a 9.5 in their system).

Sargent at CF makes sense (seems like a mover ala Bamford, but a finisher ala Piroe). Perhaps a straight swap for Piroe with them might work?

Some players from Norwich (as backups) could be useful to round out the squad. McLean would be an upgrade over Gruev, IMHO.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United