Cantona and the murder of Paul Nixon
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
-
Mountain
- First Team

- Posts: 2285
- Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am
Cantona and the murder of Paul Nixon
Cantona and that Selhurst Park moment on BBC2 tonight in their review of the 94/95 season.
Cantona laughed, said he didn't kick Simmons hard enough and his only regret was that it cost his team a title. And completely ignored that Paul Nixon, a Crystal Palace fan, was stabbed, beaten with bricks, run over by a coach and died in fights with ManU fans in a cup tie just 3 months later, in the wake of the hostility created by that Selhurst Park moment.
It's time for the Cantona love in to stop. It's time for some journalist, anyone, to ask him if he has ever thought about the family Paul Nixon left behind.
Cantona laughed, said he didn't kick Simmons hard enough and his only regret was that it cost his team a title. And completely ignored that Paul Nixon, a Crystal Palace fan, was stabbed, beaten with bricks, run over by a coach and died in fights with ManU fans in a cup tie just 3 months later, in the wake of the hostility created by that Selhurst Park moment.
It's time for the Cantona love in to stop. It's time for some journalist, anyone, to ask him if he has ever thought about the family Paul Nixon left behind.
- Muppet the Cat
- Moderator

- Posts: 18293
- Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
- Location: Cardiff
Re: Cantona and the murder of Paul Nixon
You can’t lay responsibility the actions of the mindless thugs responsible for the death of Paul Nixon at the door of Cantona, I’m afraid.
-
Mountain
- First Team

- Posts: 2285
- Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am
Re: Cantona and the murder of Paul Nixon
Oh I agree, I'm not saying they should accept blame, I'm saying that they should show respect and not airbrush Paul Nixon out completely. The reaction of player and club remains incredibly crass to this day.Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:40 pm You can’t lay responsibility the actions of the mindless thugs responsible for the death of Paul Nixon at the door of Cantona, I’m afraid.
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41693
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: Cantona and the murder of Paul Nixon
Its very sad what happened to that other fan but not sure you can blame Cantona for that?
Mindless thugs will do what mindless thugs do regardless of prior events
Have to say though the fact that poor man has almost been totally airbrushed form history is very sad, i had absolutely no idea about those events.
Mindless thugs will do what mindless thugs do regardless of prior events
Have to say though the fact that poor man has almost been totally airbrushed form history is very sad, i had absolutely no idea about those events.
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- Chilli D
- Superstar

- Posts: 8780
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm
Re: Cantona and the murder of Paul Nixon
I had no idea about that either. How come I never heard about that?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
- Ratscoot
- Manager

- Posts: 4221
- Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:52 pm
Re: Cantona and the murder of Paul Nixon
Wow I can’t say I ever heard that he’d been killed after the Cantona event, that’s just mad how it’s been brushed under the carpet, I agree you can’t blame Cantona for him been killed but you can 100% Blame the Scum fans.
Got to question why I don’t remember this and the only thing I can think is because it wasn’t widely reported, mmm would that be that the media have this massive love in with this club. The Cantona event appears on many football related shows and is now treated as a bit of a joke event and that Cantona is somewhat of a “hero” partly for doing it but they never ever mention that the guy died a few months later, at the hands of this clubs supporters.
I’d go further in the fact that the media jump over any clubs fans that sing songs or aim venom about the Munich Air-crash but never mention how vile their fans are to others and this is just another example of the media bias.
Got to question why I don’t remember this and the only thing I can think is because it wasn’t widely reported, mmm would that be that the media have this massive love in with this club. The Cantona event appears on many football related shows and is now treated as a bit of a joke event and that Cantona is somewhat of a “hero” partly for doing it but they never ever mention that the guy died a few months later, at the hands of this clubs supporters.
I’d go further in the fact that the media jump over any clubs fans that sing songs or aim venom about the Munich Air-crash but never mention how vile their fans are to others and this is just another example of the media bias.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
-
Norm
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 6930
- Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
- Location: SW Missouri USA
Re: Cantona and the murder of Paul Nixon
How has Cantona got anything to do with a murder from mindless and legally guilty idiots?
He had no connection with the tragedy and cannot be held in any way responsible.
I've never heard such nonsense in all of my life!
He had no connection with the tragedy and cannot be held in any way responsible.
I've never heard such nonsense in all of my life!
- Johnboy1965
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 812
- Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:53 am
Re: Cantona and the murder of Paul Nixon
Sad to say that I have never heard of the Paul Nixon murder either. Shocking but not unsurprising, given that it involves Scum, that this has been completely glossed over by the media.
Can you imagine the reaction if it had been Leeds?
Can you imagine the reaction if it had been Leeds?
-
Mountain
- First Team

- Posts: 2285
- Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am
Re: Cantona and the murder of Paul Nixon
I'm not sure where the confusion arises. I never suggested Cantona was responsible for the murder. I simply think it's completely disrespectful that this incident is analysed over and over again and now it's this giggling "I didn't hit him hard enough" without even a passing reference to the fallout. I'm not assigning guilt, I'm asking for respect.
-
Mick Jones shoulder
- Manager

- Posts: 2911
- Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm
Re: Cantona and the murder of Paul Nixon
You have conclusive evidence to link the two events, should make interesting reading.
-
Mountain
- First Team

- Posts: 2285
- Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am
Re: Cantona and the murder of Paul Nixon
https://theathletic.com/1542276/2020/01 ... aul-nixon/Mick Jones shoulder wrote: ↑Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:53 pm You have conclusive evidence to link the two events, should make interesting reading.![]()
https://www.atthematch.com/article/twen ... ng-fu-kick
There had been no history of issues between the clubs before Cantona's kick, Just 3 months later ManU fans ambushed Palace fans and Nixon was stabbed and beaten to death.