Album of 1984 (Round 3) - RESULT

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155102
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 1999

Post by 1964white »

Antony & the Johnsons 'The Crying Light'
Blueneck 'The Fallen Host'
Yo La Tengo 'Popular Songs'
Major Lazer 'Guns Don't Kill People
Dinosaur Jr. 'Farm'
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155102
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 1999

Post by 1964white »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:52 pm Stick her down for Blueneck then! :tup:
The best nominated album that I hadn't heard previously

So impressed I'll have to pay £16 on the wondrous 'Fallen Host'

The £100's worth of Amazon vouchers I received as pressies will help though :-D
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155102
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 1999

Post by 1964white »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:50 pm Blimey, prices seem to have jumped since I got mine. Glad you liked it though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174379143212
Blueneck have a Sigur Ros feel imo!
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155102
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 1999

Post by 1964white »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:59 pm Have you heard King Nine? It's the album Faaip first recommended to me. I think the Fallen Host is the best of the 'early' ones, although I do like their sparse feel. King Nine and The Outpost are very good with a fuller sound.
Not yet but I'll certainly give them a spin :)
gessa

Re: Album of 1999

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:10 pm The best nominated album that I hadn't heard previously

So impressed I'll have to pay £16 on the wondrous 'Fallen Host'

The £100's worth of Amazon vouchers I received as pressies will help though :-D
Go on their website mate, sure they still have it for a tenner.

Edit.

Just text you a text to a link . Band camp have it for £3.99 CD
£9.99 vinyl
Last edited by gessa on Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155102
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 2009

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:25 pm Go on their website mate, sure they still have it for a tenner.
I'll give it a go mate :tup:
gessa

Re: Album of 1999

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:27 pm I'll give it a go mate :tup:
Sent you a link to band camp mate
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155102
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 2009

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:32 pm Sent you a link to band camp mate
Thanks Ges, you've saved me a tenner, much appreciated :tup:
Azkal
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5472
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:15 am

Re: Album of 2009 - VOTE NOW

Post by Azkal »

Yo La Tengo 'Popular Songs'
Woodpecker Woolliams 'Diving Down'
Blueneck 'The Fallen Host'
Major Lazer 'Guns Don't Kill People Lazers Do'
Porcupine Tree 'The Incident'
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8201
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Re: Album of 1999

Post by Mrs64 »

Antony & the Johnsons 'The Crying Light'
Flaming Lips 'Embryonic'
Blueneck 'The Fallen Host'
Blue Roses 'Blue Roses'
Yo La Tengo 'Popular Songs'
User avatar
Haighy
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2077
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Album of 2009 - BB, Durly, Finn, Haighy, John, Mrs 64, Onemore, SG,1304 TO VOTE

Post by Haighy »

Baroness
Alexisonfire
Blueneck
Porcupine Tree
Muse.
User avatar
Finnatic
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6703
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: Album of 2009 - BB, Durly, Finn, Haighy, John, Mrs 64, Onemore, SG,1304 TO VOTE

Post by Finnatic »

Blue Roses
Dinosaur Jr.
User avatar
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois

Re: Album of 2009 - BB, Durly, Finn, Haighy, John, Mrs 64, Onemore, SG,1304 TO VOTE

Post by John in Louisiana »

Still going to have to abstain, I'm afraid. Haven't had much of a chance to listen to any of these.

Sorry.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155102
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 2009 - BB, Durly, Finn, Haighy, John, Mrs 64, Onemore, SG,1304 TO VOTE

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: ↑Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:17 pm Still going to have to abstain, I'm afraid. Haven't had much of a chance to listen to any of these.

Sorry.
Ok John :tup:
User avatar
Durly
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2339
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Album of 2009 - BB, Durly, Finn, Haighy, John, Mrs 64, Onemore, SG,1304 TO VOTE

Post by Durly »

Some nice surprises this time. The Blueneck and Alexisonfire albums I really liked and had never heard either before. Dinosaur Jr will always score highly, as I've loved them since the beginning and J is still my favourite guitarist. The Horrors (which I didn't know either) one is pretty decent (shades of The Chameleons at times).

Balmorhea 'All Is Wild All Is Silent'
Dinosaur Jr. 'Farm'
Blueneck 'The Fallen Host'
Alexisonfire 'Old Crows/Young Cardinals'
The Horrors 'Primary Colours'
Image
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18290
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Album of 2009 - BB, Durly, Finn, Haighy, John, Mrs 64, Onemore, SG,1304 TO VOTE

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Durly wrote: ↑Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:15 am Some nice surprises this time. The Blueneck and Alexisonfire albums I really liked and had never heard either before. Dinosaur Jr will always score highly, as I've loved them since the beginning and J is still my favourite guitarist. The Horrors (which I didn't know either) one is pretty decent (shades of The Chameleons at times).
Firstly, I'm gobsmacked :shock: that I've put something up you've not heard before Durly; and, secondly I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I'd recommend the 2012 'Death Letter' EP which contains 4 (of the 6) tracks from the OC/YC album in, toned down harsh/dirty vocals, versions. I like both versions of the songs - it depends what mood you're in when you want to listen to them :)

I also really like Dallas Green's City and Colour side project.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155102
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 2009 - BB, Onemore, SG,1304 TO VOTE

Post by 1964white »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:54 pm Bit surprised the Blueneck is doing so well tbh. My album for 1999 came last!
Looking a likely surprise winner Sara, great to see a outsider win one of these year competitions

It really is a terrific album, still waiting for my copy to arrive from the USA I believe.

Thank you for the recommendation :tup:
gessa

Re: Album of 2009 - BB, Onemore, SG,1304 TO VOTE

Post by gessa »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:05 pm I'm really pleased so many people liked it. I don't think it's their best, personally, so I would recommend at least checking out King Nine as well.
In was certainly in my list of ones to nominate, I have it on vinyl, and the sound is so much better than the download I had previously, I think King Nine and The Outpost are better albums but all 3 are excellent
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78973
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Album of 2009 - BB, Onemore, SG,1304 TO VOTE

Post by The Subhuman »

King Nine edges it for me with the Outpost and then Scars of the Midwest but there are no poor albums at all..I don't own the Fallen Host though
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:48 pm

Re: Album of 2009 - BB, Onemore, SG,1304 TO VOTE

Post by onemoreslogan »

Hard to find time these days. I confess I couldn't listen to them all but I came close.

Farm
Alesisonfire
Yo La Tengo
Blueneck
Major Lazer
Post Reply