Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- Smudge3920
- Superstar

- Posts: 5203
- Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:08 pm
- Location: Canada
Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
Fiction...
Herman Melville's classic - Moby Dick (or the Whale)
Non Fiction...
T.E Lawrence (An autobiographical account) - 7 Pillars of Wisdom.
Herman Melville's classic - Moby Dick (or the Whale)
Non Fiction...
T.E Lawrence (An autobiographical account) - 7 Pillars of Wisdom.
-
WestgateRun
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 518
- Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 7:53 pm
- Location: Wakefield
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
Fiction: Brideshead Revisited (Evelyn Waugh)
Non-Fiction: The Alan Clark Diaries (not the ex-Leeds legend)
Non-Fiction: The Alan Clark Diaries (not the ex-Leeds legend)
- lufc1304
- Superstar

- Posts: 14818
- Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
- Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
- Location: Lisburn, N.I
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
Fiction: The Power of the Dog (Don Winslow)
Non-Fiction: Careless Love, the unmaking of Elvis Presley (Peter Guralnick) (with a special mention for his Sweet Soul Music, which is an epic tome)
Non-Fiction: Careless Love, the unmaking of Elvis Presley (Peter Guralnick) (with a special mention for his Sweet Soul Music, which is an epic tome)
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
- Lorimer46
- First Team

- Posts: 1725
- Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:22 pm
- Twitter: @dsc67
- Location: Tweedbank, Scottish Borders
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
Fiction - Strip Jack (Ian Rankin) Rebus book no 4
Non Fiction - An Innocent Man - John Grisham . The true story of the wrongful conviction of Ron Williamson
Non Fiction - An Innocent Man - John Grisham . The true story of the wrongful conviction of Ron Williamson
" The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley "
Gang aft agley "
- John in Louisiana
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 13928
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
- Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
Fiction: The Lucia novels by EF Benson
Non-Fiction: The Harry Potter novels by JK Rowling.
Don't tell me they're not real!
In actuality - and it's hard to call this work a "favorite" as it is so horrifying - it's The Gulag Archipelago, bu Alexander Solzhenitsyn.
Non-Fiction: The Harry Potter novels by JK Rowling.
Don't tell me they're not real!
In actuality - and it's hard to call this work a "favorite" as it is so horrifying - it's The Gulag Archipelago, bu Alexander Solzhenitsyn.
- Smudge3920
- Superstar

- Posts: 5203
- Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:08 pm
- Location: Canada
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
John in Louisiana wrote: ↑Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:37 pm Fiction: The Lucia novels by EF Benson
Non-Fiction: The Harry Potter novels by JK Rowling.
Don't tell me they're not real!
Oh they are mate...definately real![]()
In actuality - and it's hard to call this work a "favorite" as it is so horrifying - it's The Gulag Archipelago, bu Alexander Solzhenitsyn.
Read that back in the 80's mate, you are right ...it is a horrifying recollection
-
Azkal
- Superstar

- Posts: 5484
- Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:15 am
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
Fiction: The Glass Palace - Amitav Ghosh
Non-Fiction: Sword And Scimitar - Raymond Ibrahim
Non-Fiction: Sword And Scimitar - Raymond Ibrahim
- John in Louisiana
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 13928
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
- Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Albus Percival Wolfric Brian Dumbledore
- Gandalf
- Superstar

- Posts: 11608
- Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
Fiction: The Millennium series of books by Stieg Larsson (and after his death by David Lagerkrantz) introducing the amazing character - punk hacker Lizbeth Salander - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Later made into the film series.
Non-Fiction: Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson. Wonderfully funny rendition of the travels of the author (An American) around Britain. A must read.
Non-Fiction: Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson. Wonderfully funny rendition of the travels of the author (An American) around Britain. A must read.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
-
60sUnited
- Manager

- Posts: 2673
- Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:38 pm
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
Fiction : Captain Corellis Mandolin
Non Fiction : Around Ireland with a Fridge ( something like that )
Non Fiction : Around Ireland with a Fridge ( something like that )
- White Riot
- Superstar

- Posts: 22394
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
- Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
Fiction: Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
Never had the same thrill reading any other book as this one when you read it for the first time.
Non-fiction: Journey into Darkness - John Douglas and Mark Olshaker
John is one of the founding FBI profilers and the true mind behind the great TV show Mindhunter.
So, very disturbing, but entrancing too.
Never had the same thrill reading any other book as this one when you read it for the first time.
Non-fiction: Journey into Darkness - John Douglas and Mark Olshaker
John is one of the founding FBI profilers and the true mind behind the great TV show Mindhunter.
So, very disturbing, but entrancing too.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79084
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
The only thing wrong with LOTR is it lacks humour, outside of that it's nigh on perfect. Only Feists's Riftwar saga comes close for me.White Riot wrote: ↑Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:07 pm Fiction: Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
Never had the same thrill reading any other book as this one when you read it for the first time.
Non-fiction: Journey into Darkness - John Douglas and Mark Olshaker
John is one of the founding FBI profilers and the true mind behind the great TV show Mindhunter.
So, very disturbing, but entrancing too.
The movies don't do the books justice.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- White Riot
- Superstar

- Posts: 22394
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
- Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
I think there is some humour in LOTR, just it's very subtle. Though Peter Jackson did a valiant job, I always feel that reading a book is a very personal experience. A film is always just going to be a director's interpretation of what he/she experienced when reading the book. So for me I just take the movies for what they are. A filmed version of a book can never really capture your own experience and how your imagination flowed at the time you delved into the book.
Jackson did try to inject humour into the films, some of which worked and some came across as a bit heavy handed and not in tune with the original themes of the story. I haven't read the Riftwar saga Faaip, but will probably get round to it in the years to come, I've tended to avoid fantasy stuff, as I couldn't get into stuff like Isaac Asimov.
For historical novels there is no one better for me than Conn Iggulden, the Emperor series about Julius Caesar is absolutely breathtaking.
David Fincher has done a great job directing Mindhunter, and I think he's a brilliant director. But again it's never going to match the feelings I had when first reading the John Douglas books.
I've probably had much better movie experiences when I haven't already read the book before watching the film: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Black Hawk Down, etc, i.e. these were new and different experiences for me as I was unfamiliar with the stories.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79084
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
Not sure I agree on the directors interpretation. He gave bigger roles to some characters if they had big names playing them. Arwen is a fairly minor character in the books. Think Liv Tyler has a much bigger role. Moved a couple of locations around as well IIRC, I could only watch the first two and never watched the final one.White Riot wrote: ↑Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:02 am I think there is some humour in LOTR, just it's very subtle. Though Peter Jackson did a valiant job, I always feel that reading a book is a very personal experience. A film is always just going to be a director's interpretation of what he/she experienced when reading the book. So for me I just take the movies for what they are. A filmed version of a book can never really capture your own experience and how your imagination flowed at the time you delved into the book.
Jackson did try to inject humour into the films, some of which worked and some came across as a bit heavy handed and not in tune with the original themes of the story. I haven't read the Riftwar saga Faaip, but will probably get round to it in the years to come, I've tended to avoid fantasy stuff, as I couldn't get into stuff like Isaac Asimov.
For historical novels there is no one better for me than Conn Iggulden, the Emperor series about Julius Caesar is absolutely breathtaking.
David Fincher has done a great job directing Mindhunter, and I think he's a brilliant director. But again it's never going to match the feelings I had when first reading the John Douglas books.
I've probably had much better movie experiences when I haven't already read the book before watching the film: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Black Hawk Down, etc, i.e. these were new and different experiences for me as I was unfamiliar with the stories.
You're right in the most part about books to movies or series but LOTR trilogy is one of the worst for me and there are a few that get it spot on for me.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79084
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
GOT works for me as book to TV except maybe for the final series (not as bad as some made out though and episode 3 The Long Night is probably the finest single episode of anything...) Though the TV series outpaced the books in the end, I think GRRM is still writing the final book/s
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- White Riot
- Superstar

- Posts: 22394
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
- Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
I would say that it's much more difficult to develop and portray characters in movies than in books. I'd read that the Tolkien family were very unhappy with the way the films portrayed the books.faaip wrote: ↑Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:36 am Not sure I agree on the directors interpretation. He gave bigger roles to some characters if they had big names playing them. Arwen is a fairly minor character in the books. Think Liv Tyler has a much bigger role. Moved a couple of locations around as well IIRC, I could only watch the first two and never watched the final one.
You're right in the most part about books to movies or series but LOTR trilogy is one of the worst for me and there are a few that get it spot on for me.
I enjoyed the Harry Potter films, but watched them before I read the books. But I still found the books were a much better experience.
Watching the first few moments of Fellowship of the Ring I knew immediately that I was going to be absolutely disappointed if I compared the movies to the books.
So I pretty much treat movies as separate entities and know they can't live up to my expectations.
For me films are much more of a shallow and temporary experience, whereas books stick in your mind forever.
A good example is Silence of the Lambs, the books are awesome, but I was so crestfallen with that movie. Johnathon Demme did not come anywhere near doing justice to that story. Yet, it won lots of awards.
-
liggy
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 2257
- Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:54 am
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
Non fiction Being and time Martin Hiedegger
Fiction.....the little match girl bros grimm
Fiction.....the little match girl bros grimm
- BobHirst
- Manager

- Posts: 3453
- Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:20 pm
- Location: Texas
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
I can't decide which
category to put these in.
The Bible - God
On the origin of species - Charles Darwin
category to put these in.
The Bible - God
On the origin of species - Charles Darwin
- Gandalf
- Superstar

- Posts: 11608
- Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
"Hiedegger, Hiedegger, was a boozy beggar, who could drink you under the table" - maybe not you, though.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79084
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Your 2 Favourite books...1 Fiction, 1 Non fiction
That's very "Texas" of you
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"