Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- essexwhite
- First Team

- Posts: 2041
- Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:33 pm
- Location: scotland
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
Till death us do part
Porridge
One foot in the grave
Rab C Nesbitt
The Good Life
Porridge
One foot in the grave
Rab C Nesbitt
The Good Life

- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
Of course The Good Lifeessexwhite wrote:Till death us do part
Porridge
One foot in the grave
Rab C Nesbitt
The Good Life
- Martyn
- Superstar

- Posts: 10635
- Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
- Twitter: @MartynStead
- Location: and Momentum both uncertain
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
That's progress.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
- woodfordwhites
- First Team

- Posts: 1838
- Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:07 pm
- Location: east london
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
sounds good. im waiting for next month to see marching on togethergessa wrote:As a side note, I'm off to Manchester on the 4th Feb to see the Phoenix Nights stage show.
Anyone else going?
-
Armleywhite
Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
I used to think that but there has been a recent surge in good US humour that translates well. "How I met your mother" and the brilliant "Big bang theory" to name but two. The Big Bang theory is very very funny with a sarcastic dry wit that many Brits get.1964white wrote:
Indeed GandiAmerican humour...yawn, yawn, yawn :sleep3:
-
MeeTa
- Manager

- Posts: 4456
- Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:41 pm
- Twitter: @EirikOstrem
- Location: A place you cant afford to live
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
1964white wrote:
Indeed GandiAmerican humour...yawn, yawn, yawn :sleep3:
The amount of great US comedy shows is staggering, beyond and above anywhere els

- essexwhite
- First Team

- Posts: 2041
- Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:33 pm
- Location: scotland
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
I dont understand American comedy at all,,to me they laugh at nothing

- John in Louisiana
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 13916
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
- Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
That's just the laugh track.essexwhite wrote:I dont understand American comedy at all,,to me they laugh at nothing
About eighty years ago my grandparents (New Yorkers) were in London and were attending the London premier of a Marx Brothers movie. As usual, Margaret Dumont's part was that of the rich widow who Groucho was chasing for her money. At one point Groucho gets up on tiptoe, looks over the front of Margaret Dumont's dress, and says, "Why there's gold in them thar hills!"
My grandparents were the only two in the theater who laughed at that line. The woman sitting next to them leaned over to her husband and said, "They must be speaking pidgin English."
Last edited by John in Louisiana on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Wolfetoneleeds
- Manager

- Posts: 2580
- Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:17 pm
- Location: Leeds
Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
Ye American comedy isn't my bag either.essexwhite wrote:I dont understand American comedy at all,,to me they laugh at nothing
Only Frasier ive only liked.
Properly others.
- Gurj
- Manager

- Posts: 2755
- Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 am
- Location: Birmingham
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
OFAH
Allo Allo
It ain't half hot Mom
HI-Di-Hi
Just Good Friends
Allo Allo
It ain't half hot Mom
HI-Di-Hi
Just Good Friends
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
- MOTliam
- Reserve Player

- Posts: 322
- Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:00 pm
- Location: Birmingham B68
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
Read all of this earlier when I was on my train earlier and was so happy to see so many of the great sitcoms I grew up with (from my Dad, I am 26 after all). I'll post my faves tomorrow. There's loads of fantastic American sitcoms to add 64.
I don't know if animated programs should be included in this 'poll' however. I watch a lot of those btw as they do give a lot more flexibility in what you can do and as long as you have good voice actors the subject matter isn't distorted.
I don't know if animated programs should be included in this 'poll' however. I watch a lot of those btw as they do give a lot more flexibility in what you can do and as long as you have good voice actors the subject matter isn't distorted.
- Baby Lemonade
- Reserve Player

- Posts: 372
- Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:08 am
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
I have to say I'm inclined to agree, I tried watching Big Bang Theory as my son raves about it, and I didn't find it funny at all, just the usual whooping and clapping over the most obvious things, no subtlety.essexwhite wrote:I dont understand American comedy at all,,to me they laugh at nothing
As John Cleese once said of Monty Python's surprise popularity in the States, 'They love us....but they laugh in all the wrong places'
-
ldsutd
- First Team

- Posts: 1127
- Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:42 am
- Location: LEEDS
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
Too many to mention; can I do an American list and a home grown list?
porridge......................................... scrubs
rising damp..................................... the middle
royal family.................................... 2 and a half men (Sheen years)
only fools and horses......................... cheers
phoenix nights.................................. mike and molly
oh I forgot Early doors, red dwarf, black adder..... I love a good laff
porridge......................................... scrubs
rising damp..................................... the middle
royal family.................................... 2 and a half men (Sheen years)
only fools and horses......................... cheers
phoenix nights.................................. mike and molly
oh I forgot Early doors, red dwarf, black adder..... I love a good laff
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 78993
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
the middle is very good
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- Martyn
- Superstar

- Posts: 10635
- Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
- Twitter: @MartynStead
- Location: and Momentum both uncertain
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
Enjoying californication so far. Cheers faaip
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 78993
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
thought you would....
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- BobHirst
- Manager

- Posts: 3452
- Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:20 pm
- Location: Texas
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
The Good Life
Soap
Black Adder
Likely Lads
Reggie Perrin
Vicar of Dibley (some episodes)
Just rented Blazing Saddles. Not seen it since it was at the movies. I hope it holds up.
That and 'Something About Mary' had me in LOL mode.
Soap
Black Adder
Likely Lads
Reggie Perrin
Vicar of Dibley (some episodes)
Just rented Blazing Saddles. Not seen it since it was at the movies. I hope it holds up.
That and 'Something About Mary' had me in LOL mode.
- barryanorak
- Manager

- Posts: 3191
- Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
Faaip, you mentioned Brooklyn Nine Nine...
Is it worth a tenner to get the first season?
Is it worth a tenner to get the first season?
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...
- Martyn
- Superstar

- Posts: 10635
- Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
- Twitter: @MartynStead
- Location: and Momentum both uncertain
Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
Good call on Soap, classic American comedyBobHirst wrote:The Good Life
Soap
Black Adder
Likely Lads
Reggie Perrin
Vicar of Dibley (some episodes)
Just rented Blazing Saddles. Not seen it since it was at the movies. I hope it holds up.
That and 'Something About Mary' had me in LOL mode.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 78993
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Favorite comedy's sitcoms?
I'd try an episode or two of the new series currently on 4...there's 2 episodes on 4OD..series one started a little slow so if you don't like it now you won't like it thenbarryanorak wrote:Faaip, you mentioned Brooklyn Nine Nine...
Is it worth a tenner to get the first season?
a few full episodes on you tube too right now too
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"