Horse Racing News.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Horse Racing News.

Post by Jaydog »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:35 am No worries, Jay, so were you 3-4 furlongs out?
That bend were looking down on is about 2 furlongs out Nick.
That’s where they start the 2m2f Chester Cup.
The track is a mile in circumference.
So the 5 furlong start is directly the other side of the track from where we were on the wall.
Permanently turning. I’ve walked round it a few times.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Jaydog wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:32 am That bend were looking down on is about 2 furlongs out Nick.
That’s where they start the 2m2f Chester Cup.
The track is a mile in circumference.
So the 5 furlong start is directly the other side of the track from where we were on the wall.
Permanently turning. I’ve walked round it a few times.
:tup: thanks, Jay; again, it's hard to gauge from the pictures. I was telling Leon I do the same at Down Royal. Take the dog out for a walk then find a vantage point for a free bit of racing. I also pay in on many occasions, just to dispel any notions that I'm a tight git!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:54 am :tup: thanks, Jay; again, it's hard to gauge from the pictures. I was telling Leon I do the same at Down Royal. Take the dog out for a walk then find a vantage point for a free bit of racing. I also pay in on many occasions, just to dispel any notions that I'm a tight git!!
Don’t blame you.
Lots of people on the wall for a free days racing.
£43 for Tatts!!
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Jaydog wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:22 am Don’t blame you.
Lots of people on the wall for a free days racing.
£43 for Tatts!!
Ouch, that's pretty steep. DR do a £12.50 special, which gets you in, a beer and a burger. Extra for the posh lounges, but I'm happy track side with the great unwashed!
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:55 am Ouch, that's pretty steep. DR do a £12.50 special, which gets you in, a beer and a burger. Extra for the posh lounges, but I'm happy track side with the great unwashed!
😁
It’s the May meeting so it’s priced accordingly.
Derby & Oaks trials so decent racing.
Such a unique track. Definitely worth a visit.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Jaydog wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:59 am 😁
It’s the May meeting so it’s priced accordingly.
Derby & Oaks trials so decent racing.
Such a unique track. Definitely worth a visit.
Ah right, I guess that's fair enough. And, like you say, you'll pay that bit extra for decent racing. I've never been in that part of the world before; if I ever am, I'll try and time it for a race meeting.
hector

Post by hector »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:54 am :tup: thanks, Jay; again, it's hard to gauge from the pictures. I was telling Leon I do the same at Down Royal. Take the dog out for a walk then find a vantage point for a free bit of racing. I also pay in on many occasions, just to dispel any notions that I'm a tight git!!
But you are mate....... You can't convince anyone otherwise :P :)
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

hector wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:05 am But you are mate....... You can't convince anyone otherwise :P :)
I resemble that accusation!!
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

https://www.racingpost.com/news/britain ... e39I202Vl/

Reg Akehurst. What a legend. RIP.
My mate had a great contact who was the agent for Danny (?) Wright. A very good apprentice in the 90s.
He was riding Knowth for Akehurst at Glorious Goodwood and we were there. We had fair bit on at 16/1 as we’d been told it had a great chance.
Won easy but got demoted for interference with the second place horse. Absolute scandal tbh as the 2nd & 3rd had strong jockey club connections. Lord Vestey was one 🙄
Akehurst knew it too and appealed to no avail unsurprisingly. This was before first past the post so we lost our money 😢
A really top class dual purpose trainer.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:04 pm https://www.racingpost.com/news/britain ... e39I202Vl/

Reg Akehurst. What a legend. RIP.
My mate had a great contact who was the agent for Danny (?) Wright. A very good apprentice in the 90s.
He was riding Knowth for Akehurst at Glorious Goodwood and we were there. We had fair bit on at 16/1 as we’d been told it had a great chance.
Won easy but got demoted for interference with the second place horse. Absolute scandal tbh as the 2nd & 3rd had strong jockey club connections. Lord Vestey was one 🙄
Akehurst knew it too and appealed to no avail unsurprisingly. This was before first past the post so we lost our money 😢
A really top class dual purpose trainer.
One of the most feared trainers, he had a good innings, Jay.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:12 pm One of the most feared trainers, he had a good innings, Jay.
Yeah old Reg landed some massive gambles in his time.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The hugely popular Harchibald, who is remembered most for his part in the thrilling Champion Hurdle of 2005 when Paul Carberry sat motionless halfway up the run-in, has died at the age of 25.

Harchibald was adored by jump racing fans for his ability to stay on the bridle during his races and, while he didn't win the Champion Hurdle 19 years ago as Hardy Eustace outbattled him close home, he almost won more supporters by the manner of his defeat.

Indeed, his trainer Noel Meade admitted he won't be remembered most for the 14 races he won, including five Grade 1s, but instead the high-profile event he narrowly failed to.

Meade told the Racing Post: "Harchibald was the most wonderful horse. It's funny because he is more popular for the race he didn't win rather than all the races he did win. He didn't maybe do all the things we wanted him to do, but he did a lot of them. He gave us some fantastic days. He was a great one and we'll never forget him.

"He was 25 and he enjoyed a wonderful retirement. Johnny Hurley looked after him since he retired and he treated him like a king."

Reflecting on what made Harchibald so good, Meade said we were led to believe he was a seriously quick horse by the way he travelled in his races, but it was another department of his game that made him such a talent.

Screenshot 2024-05-15 08.49.02.png
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:17 pm Yeah old Reg landed some massive gambles in his time.
York Dante meeting begins today,

Do you have any fancies, Jay?
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:51 am York Dante meeting begins today,

Do you have any fancies, Jay?
Yes love York. Unfortunately working Thursday and Friday so will record it.
Nothing in particular just enjoy the Derby & Oaks trials to see if there’s any clues for the big races. You?
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:49 am The hugely popular Harchibald, who is remembered most for his part in the thrilling Champion Hurdle of 2005 when Paul Carberry sat motionless halfway up the run-in, has died at the age of 25.

Harchibald was adored by jump racing fans for his ability to stay on the bridle during his races and, while he didn't win the Champion Hurdle 19 years ago as Hardy Eustace outbattled him close home, he almost won more supporters by the manner of his defeat.

Indeed, his trainer Noel Meade admitted he won't be remembered most for the 14 races he won, including five Grade 1s, but instead the high-profile event he narrowly failed to.

Meade told the Racing Post: "Harchibald was the most wonderful horse. It's funny because he is more popular for the race he didn't win rather than all the races he did win. He didn't maybe do all the things we wanted him to do, but he did a lot of them. He gave us some fantastic days. He was a great one and we'll never forget him.

"He was 25 and he enjoyed a wonderful retirement. Johnny Hurley looked after him since he retired and he treated him like a king."

Reflecting on what made Harchibald so good, Meade said we were led to believe he was a seriously quick horse by the way he travelled in his races, but it was another department of his game that made him such a talent.

Screenshot 2024-05-15 08.49.02.png
He had a good innings.
Carberry was top notch. Punters just didn’t understand his predicament. If he goes for Harchibald early on the run in the horse would down tools so he tries to kid him but that Hardy Eustace was a warrior so there was only going to be one winner.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Audience was the shock 22/1 winner of the Group 1 Lockinge Stakes.

All eyes were on six-time Group 1 winner Inspiral, ridden by John and Thady Gosden's new stable jockey Kieran Shoemark for the first time, but unflappable understudy Robert Havlin called the shots from the word go on Audience. He came home a length and three-quarters in front of Charyn, with favourite Inspiral a further 11 lengths away in fourth and her main market rival Big Rock only sixth.

Screenshot 2024-05-18 19.17.03.png