Plymouth Argyle v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Plymouth Argyle v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by DDB220 »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:23 pm Tough win. 2-0 doesn't do Plymouth justice.
I disagree - they huffed and puffed but they didn’t create much. We hit the woodwork twice, should have had a pen if the ref played DJ the advantage on the initial challenge. Then there was the own goal which was a marginal offside against Gnonto.
They created a couple of half chances - we defended well for the most part.
Last edited by DDB220 on Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gnonto, Kamara, Ampadu & Rodon brilliant today
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:17 pm 2 more for Perkins - road to redemption?
Apparently PL cup, great win then and into the QF's go check out Thomas's and Perkins' second goal and a great double save from Christy at the death
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Did Geo win the Sky MOTM?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:40 pm I disagree - they huffed and puffed but they didn’t create much. We hit the woodwork twice, should have had a pen if the ref played DJ the advantage on the initial challenge. Then there was the own goal which was a marginal offside against Gnonto.
The created a couple of half chances - we defended well for the most part.
Apart from Whittaker's effort from the set-piece when we were 2 up, did Plymouth have a shot on target.

Rodon & Ampadu stood firm to stop any chances for the Plymouth forwards.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

DDB220 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:40 pm I disagree - they huffed and puffed but they didn’t create much. We hit the woodwork twice, should have had a pen if the ref played DJ the advantage on the initial challenge. Then there was the own goal which was a marginal offside against Gnonto.
They created a couple of half chances - we defended well for the most part.
I see your point, DDB, as we were clearly the better side. I guess compared to the last few matches they it more a grind. Miller's to balls right across the goal mouth and his near shot from the left-hand side could easily have changed the match, especially before our second goal went in.
In Farke we trust...
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:40 pm Gnonto, Kamara, Ampadu & Rodon brilliant today
Agree - I thought Gruev and Gray were decent as well. I have mostly 7’s and a couple of 8’s for Gonoto and Amps but I don’t bother with the scoring thread, the difference in perspectives is interesting though.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Geo was better than anyone is giving him credit for. Gnonto should have been MOTM but Geo didn't do much wrong considering he was double teamed and overly pressed
Last edited by The Subhuman on Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Meslier actually caught a ball under pressure.

I nearly fell off my settee. :lol:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:45 pm Meslier actually caught a ball under pressure.

Good game from Mes imo
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:44 pm I see your point, DDB, as we were clearly the better side. I guess compared to the last few matches they it more a grind. Miller's to balls right across the goal mouth and his near shot from the left-hand side could easily have changed the match, especially before our second goal went in.
They had the crowd behind them for a portion of the second half and got on the front foot but I was encouraged they actually started to press forward as I expected us to punish them if they didn’t score.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:44 pm Geo was better than anyone is giving him credit for. Gnonto should have been MOTM but Geo didn't do much wrong considering he was double teamed and overly pressed
Georginio did lots of good things but he gave the ball away at least ten times.

That's why our brilliant tactician of a coach Farke switch Rutter & Piroe.

Gnonto MOTM.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:45 pm Meslier actually caught a ball under pressure.

Most keepers punch these days. The keeper gets very little protection - you only have to look at the number of players looking to target the keeper in the set piece. He has been solid for the most part on the high ball this season - people who claimed he was average cannot bring themselves to give him the recognition his displays have deserved.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:37 pm Farke spotted the problem moving Piroe into the No.10 role & pushing Rutter forward who continuously lost possession putting us on the back foot

Georginio went from villain to hero.

SKY having a laugh, giving the man of the match to Rutter.

Gnonto was our best forward.

Summerville had a stinker.
Spot on. I though Rutter had a mare in terms of losing possession in the 10 role and putting us under pressure. Great pass to Gnonto and took his goal well but you can see why Farke had him and Piroe the other way round earlier in the season. Can't keep losing the ball today like he did especially if it is around the centre circle.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:44 pm Agree - I thought Gruev and Gray were decent as well. I have mostly 7’s and a couple of 8’s for Gonoto and Amps but I don’t bother with the scoring thread, the difference in perspectives is interesting though.
Indeed :tup:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:43 pm Apart from Whittaker's effort from the set-piece when we were 2 up, did Plymouth have a shot on target.

Rodon & Ampadu stood firm to stop any chances for the Plymouth forwards.
They did when Messlier pushed it out for a corner, possibly a mishit cross though. Am staggered that Plymouth's xg is nearly at 1, can't recall any decent chance. For ours in comparison to be just over 1 is staggering and paints it as a close game for those who rely on stats rather than their eyes, or didn't watch the game.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

:lol: :lol:
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:48 pm Georginio did lots of good things but he gave the ball away at least ten times.

That's why our brilliant tactician of a coach Farke switch Rutter & Piroe.

Gnonto MOTM.
I don’t mind Geo giving the ball away if it is in areas where we do not find ourselves exposed defensively. He was clearly frustrated but rather than playing it simple he kept trying to spin his marker, who did a good job of getting tight. Geo normally wins the physical battle in these situations but the big lump who was on him gave him very little space.
But Geo will always be a threat as he proved, that is why for me I would always keep him on the pitch. But he needs these games to learn as he will face these problems and attention far more regularly in the Prem.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:49 pm Spot on. I though Rutter had a mare in terms of losing possession in the 10 role and putting us under pressure. Great pass to Gnonto and took his goal well but you can see why Farke had him and Piroe the other way round earlier in the season. Can't keep losing the ball today like he did especially if it is around the centre circle.
Absolutely bang on :tup:

Once the change was made we wasn't on the back foot any longer, credit to Piroe who retained the ball far more efficiently than Rutter.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:43 pm Did Geo win the Sky MOTM?
Yes, because he scored the decisive goal.

Typical SKY. :roll: