Jesse Marsch- New Canada manager

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Jesse Marsch post Villa

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:54 pm Good on Marsch for calling out the time wasting.

Bamford is very concerning, pretty clear his fitness is clinging on by a thread.

Does that mean Gelhardt was dropped ?
With Bamford on the bench, heard to see Joffy getting on the pitch

If it had been Rodrigo on the bench, I see where you bring Joffy on

Other than that, I guess he just saw more options with Gnonto, Summerville, and Greenwood

Suggestion is he'll play in the reserves on Tuesday
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I think Jesse was off the mark with the time wasting. There were a couple of moments. But it was nothing like the Everton game.

He could have complained more about level officiating. We deserved our yellows. They got away with several bad challenges that our players got booked for. Like for like. The result is that our players get frustrated and commit more fouls.

If anything, I'd say he needs to quit on the officials and start focussing on how we handle adversity as a team. Work on the things in our control and ideas to counter the opposition. Otherwise he's just going to get a bad rap (we don't have the benefit of being a top 6) and the officials will keep working against us
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Jesse Marsch fan report-Poll added

Post by Cjay »

So Jesse has been here now for some time.

He has taken charge of around 20matches which seems a fair amount to judge.

What do we think?

Is he the right man?

Thoughts on his style, performances etc.

His Premier League record is slightly worse on points per game compared to Bielsa.

1.26 for Marsch to 1.28 for MB.

Although under normal circumstances with fans in attendance it is better.

In terms of goals scored/conceded.

Marsch per game is better at 1.52 compared to MB's 1.78 for conceded per game.

Goals scored goes to MB at 1.42 per game compared to 1.21 under Marsch.

Marsch has lost 36% of his Premier League games compared to Bielsa's 43%

Bielsa had a 35.9% win percentage compared to Marsch's 31%.
Last edited by Cjay on Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:13 pm With Bamford on the bench, heard to see Joffy getting on the pitch

If it had been Rodrigo on the bench, I see where you bring Joffy on

Other than that, I guess he just saw more options with Gnonto, Summerville, and Greenwood

Suggestion is he'll play in the reserves on Tuesday
Will be interesting to see what he does vs Palace.

Personally I'd drop Greenwood for Gelhardt if it has to be that bench.

But Greenwood seems to be Jesse's Tyler Roberts.

Hopefully Joffy comes back next weekend
Signed

King Cjay

andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:48 pm Will be interesting to see what he does vs Palace.

Personally I'd drop Greenwood for Gelhardt if it has to be that bench.

But Greenwood seems to be Jesse's Tyler Roberts.

Hopefully Joffy comes back next weekend
There are times when I'd rather see Greenwood off the bench than Klich.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Jesse Marsch fan report

Post by Cjay »

I will kick it off then.

I think Jesse has done as well as he could under difficult circumstances last season and with the squad he has this season.

Elements of the style worry me.

The constant rush to get it forward means we often lose the ball and get caught short on the turnover because we push the full backs up.

He doesn't believe In keeping possession for the sake of it but I think that is something he needs to accept is necessary at times.

I am still unconvinced that narrow attacks work also.

But I think we are more solid under Marsch and a bit more streetwise.

I think he has done ok.

But do have doubts over the style long term.

But if the board only want to survive I think he will do enough for that.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:53 pm There are times when I'd rather see Greenwood off the bench than Klich.
Doesn't convince me at all Greenwood tbh.

Rather see Gyabi on the bench given we spent £5mil on him and he is actually a midfielder.

Greenwood has Jack of all trades master of none vibes.
Signed

King Cjay

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

He's had half a season and got the players he wanted, but we still don't look like a coherent team for 90% of the time. I very much doubt it's going to improve much from this point onwards. He's never been good enough, or the right fit, for me.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

SaraM wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:20 pm He's had half a season and got the players he wanted, but we still don't look like a coherent team for 90% of the time. I very much doubt it's going to improve much from this point onwards. He's never been good enough, or the right fit, for me.
And who are you going to get in that's realistic? Orta wants Ryan Lowe ffs.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Happy with him tbh. The target is to finish 17th and I we should have enough to do so. Anyone who thinks we should be doing better, or there are a plethora of quality managers queuing up for the job, are delusional.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:24 pm And who are you going to get in that's realistic? Orta wants Ryan Lowe ffs.
She answered the question tbf.

The question is purely about Jesse Marsch not a what if scenario
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:26 pm Happy with him tbh. The target is to finish 17th and I we should have enough to do so. Anyone who thinks we should be doing better, or there are a plethora of quality managers queuing up for the job, are delusional.
But what about his style?

His results?
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:32 pm She answered the question tbf.

The question is purely about Jesse Marsch not a what if scenario
Fair enough. I just think fans who call for managers to go should give a realistic replacement.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SaraM wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:20 pm He's had half a season and got the players he wanted, but we still don't look like a coherent team for 90% of the time. I very much doubt it's going to improve much from this point onwards. He's never been good enough, or the right fit, for me.
He didn't get the striker he wanted tbf, he had to settle for a player he had said weeks earlier wasn't ready.

He also has 1 fit left back whose dodgy at best and no one else.

He also can't be happy about the squad size because Marsch is on record for saying he likes a larger squad (but we have the same senior squad size as last season).

He is having to compromise.

Do think you can see a style of play developing.

Whether it is a style that will work long term I have doubts.

You only have to look at Ralf Rangnick and Ralph Hasenhuttl who use a similar style to see potential red flags.

But don't think the board have done everything they can to help Marsch by any stretch.

So under the circumstances he has done the best he could.
Last edited by Cjay on Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:34 pm Fair enough. I just think fans who call for managers to go should give a realistic replacement.
She didn't call for him to be sacked just isnt keen which is fair.

I can understand concerns.

At the same time I never felt that Bielsa to Marsch was a good choice mid season.

Fundamentally there styles are opposite.
Signed

King Cjay

andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

It's still too early to say. We've only played 7 in this ridiculously ragged stop-start season.

There have been some big positives. Good early results including the emphatic Chelsea win. Imo that Chelsea win was better than any Bielsa performance.

Not been convincing the last few games. But the schedule has been such a mess. I'd rather have 3 games in 8 days than this ridiculous month off. Referees have hurt us too in recent games. I think Jesse does need to do better with the officials though.

For me, the key will be in how well he develops our squad players. Budget is tight. We might sign one or two in January. So his success now depends on how well he develops the peripheral players. He needs to make premier league players out of Gelhardt, Gnonto, Summerville, Greenwood. And longer term, Perkins, Gyabi, Gray, and Joseph. If he can convert half of that batch into starting options, I'll call him a success.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:40 pm It's still too early to say. We've only played 7 in this ridiculously ragged stop-start season.

There have been some big positives. Good early results including the emphatic Chelsea win. Imo that Chelsea win was better than any Bielsa performance.

Not been convincing the last few games. But the schedule has been such a mess. I'd rather have 3 games in 8 days than this ridiculous month off. Referees have hurt us too in recent games. I think Jesse does need to do better with the officials though.

For me, the key will be in how well he develops our squad players. Budget is tight. We might sign one or two in January. So his success now depends on how well he develops the peripheral players. He needs to make premier league players out of Gelhardt, Gnonto, Summerville, Greenwood. And longer term, Perkins, Gyabi, Gray, and Joseph. If he can convert half of that batch into starting options, I'll call him a success.
What about the style?

Do you have confidence in that?
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:46 pm What about the style?

I mentioned in the Positive/Negative thread that if we want to stay up on the cheap, then we need to adapt a more defensive structure. We don't have the funds to play like Brazil. George Graham turned us into a top 5 side by being more defensive.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:46 pm What about the style?

Yes. Mainly because it has worked at times. We've been unlucky in a couple of games and poor in a couple of games. I don't think it's the system. Younger and newer players need a little more time. And our injury situation hasn't been ideal. I'll give it time for it to show a bit more consistency.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:50 pm I mentioned in the Positive/Negative thread that if we want to stay up on the cheap, then we need to adapt a more defensive structure. We don't have the funds to play like Brazil. George Graham turned us into a top 5 side by being more defensive.
I can agree with that. And we were poor today but kept a clean sheet with 10 men. George Graham would be pleased.