The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 23rd May) - I hope to God they get through – Viduka Exclusive

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 23rd May) - I hope to God they get through – Viduka Exclusive

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 23rd May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

I hope to God they get through - Viduka Exclusive

As part of the lead-up to Sunday's play-off final at Wembley, Best Online Poker Sites gave us the oportunity to speak to Mark Viduka, and secure (the first part of) an exclusive interview with the former Leeds legend. These days the 48 year old can be found tucked away in the hills above Zagreb, where he and his family runs a successful coffee shop, aptly called Non Plus Ultra, (No Higher Point), where celebrities including former Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic are among the patrons. He still had time to watch Farke's men dismantle Norwich in the second leg Semi-Final last week, and is now praying for a Leeds victory on Sunday. Mark believes after the trials and tribulations of last Summer, then coming so close to automatic promotion, the Whites deserve their spot, back in the top flight.

I watched it last night. Just you know, I hope to God that they just get through. That's my message. Hopefully all the all the fans will be out there and getting behind the team and we can get through that last hurdle. Because they deserve it. The boys deserve it. For this year. I think that they deserve to get through.

Piroe - I think I could have done better

Speaking ahead of Sunday's showdown, Leeds striker Joel Piroe has told Elland Road journalist Adam Pope that he hasn't been happy with his form this season! The 24yo Dutchman was Daniel Farke's marquee signing last Summer, penning a four year contract with the Whites, in a deal worth £10.5m, rising to £16m due to various add-ons. He has netted 14 times this season, and provided 3 assists in 2623 minutes of league game time. This gives him a ratio of a goal every 187 minutes; very similar to Bamford (a goal every 182 minutes).

I think I could have done better. Especially, if I look at the Norwich game, I could have scored a couple more. I’m not really happy with it but 14 is not a bad number. With the team we have, we need to back ourselves and make it happen. Of course, we are very happy and celebrated a little bit in the dressing room. But we now know we have to look forward to Wembley.

Promotion bonus could lead to points deduction next season

Former Everton and Aston Villa Chief Executive Keith Wyness believes Leeds United could fall foul of Profitability and Sustainability rules if they beat Southampton on Sunday at Wembley. A staggering £20million in win bonuses has been promised to Farke's players should they win promotion back to the Promised land, but it could very well spell disaster as far as their finances go, and could lead to fines, point deductions and even transfer embargo's Wyness, who now runs his own football consultancy firm, believes promoted sides (to the top flight) should be given a two or three-year “amnesty” to establish themselves while avoiding sanctions for overspending.

When I had a look at the numbers at the top level, I realised that we could have the most ridiculous situation. If Leeds get promoted on Sunday, they could breach PSR and land a points deduction because of the win bonuses and promotion bonuses they have to pay the players.

That could be the amount which tips them over the edge. It just makes no sense at all. It’s quite normal in the Championship to incentivise promotion for the squad. I believe it may be as much as £20million owed to the Leeds squad if they win at Wembley.

It comes back to what I’ve been saying for months – we need an amnesty for promoted clubs. Give them two to three years to try and establish themselves in the top flight. We’ve got to find a mechanism to give these clubs a chance. It makes the league more exciting and more competitive.

Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 23rd May) I hope to God they get through - Viduka Exclusive

Post by Sean_Nile »

Oooh I'm shivering in my shoes, better not get promoted then because of the financial repercussions.

What a lot of twaddle, Everton, Newcastle, Everton, Chelsea, have managed just fine with FFP though they have all but broken them.

And here is a bucket of ice to add to the cold water you have thrown on getting to Wembley, could you not have thought of something more inspirational and uplifting for such a momentous occasion.

Word of advice never apply for a job as coach of cheer leaders
Last edited by Sean_Nile on Thu May 23, 2024 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 23rd May) - I hope to God they get through – Viduka Exclusive

Post by The Subhuman »

Bonuses should not be a part of FFP, should really just be transfer fees and salary etc, ditto with things like ground maintenance..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 23rd May) I hope to God they get through - Viduka Exclusive

Post by Kennyb41 »

Well there you go, straight from the horses mouth..." I could've done better"

It will come with him (it might not)

New club, different players, different manager, different formation, tactics, style ?

There is no need to designate him a failure at this point, nor a success, we've seen a lot of good and bad, he can quite obviously finish but has weaknesses.

Only a fool with no patience rushes in and stamp their feet like a child.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 23rd May) - I hope to God they get through – Viduka Exclusive

Post by Kennyb41 »

And he's right, 14 is not to be scoffed at for half a season where he lost his way a bit, i like to think DF has been working with all 3 of Rutter PB and Piroe, and perhaps PB helping Piroe.

I'm very undecided who i want to see start in Firpo/Byram, Firpo being better attacking, and Byram the better defender.

But i feel after Norwich i'm favouring Piroe/Rutter than PB/Rutter, and fingers and toes crossed it works.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Keith Whine-rs: pot kettle black, as Kenny said the other day.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

I’m one of those who (erroneously) always believed the Wembley pitch bigger than others, so I fretted a bit about Firpos defensive positioning. Now I’m not concerned. I know at some stage he’ll get lost and we could pay a high price, but I’m happy with his attacking/assisting prowess, so Jr would get my nod.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:08 am And he's right, 14 is not to be scoffed at for half a season where he lost his way a bit, i like to think DF has been working with all 3 of Rutter PB and Piroe, and perhaps PB helping Piroe.

I'm very undecided who i want to see start in Firpo/Byram, Firpo being better attacking, and Byram the better defender.

But i feel after Norwich i'm favouring Piroe/Rutter than PB/Rutter, and fingers and toes crossed it works.
Byram is also stronger on the right I reckon
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:45 am Oooh I'm shivering in my shoes, better not get promoted then because of the financial repercussions.

What a lot of twaddle, Everton, Newcastle, Everton, Chelsea, have managed just fine with FFP though they have all but broken them.

And here is a bucket of ice to add to the cold water you have thrown on getting to Wembley, could you not have thought of something more inspirational and uplifting for such a momentous occasion.

Word of advice never apply for a job as coach of cheer leaders
I can imagine Farkes rallying cry on Sunday pre match in the dressing room.
Lads whatever you do don’t win. Yes you’ll get god knows how much bonus (not you Piroe as only 14 goals you mug) but think of the club next year for goodness sake you completely selfish bunch of c u next Tuesdays. Now go out and lose to the best of your ability.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:08 am
This is a local forum for local people, we'll have no superstitious tomfoolery here.

What we want is hard facts and statistic, numbers to bore us out of our skulls.

We'll have none of this black magic jiggery pokery, rubbing of rabbits feet, or consulting bat s**t crazy old women in caves.

Why is crossing fingers a symbol for good luck? Crossing fingers dates to a pre-Christianity belief in Western Europe in the powerful symbolism of a cross. The intersection was thought to mark a concentration of good spirits and served to anchor a wish until it could come true.

On the otherhand cross your fingers and tell a lie and it doesn't count... which hocus pocus is your cup of tea.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:30 am Byram is also stronger on the right I reckon
I can't say i agree with that tbh going off his first outings at LB, and more recently the 2 or 3 at RB where i feel he was less effective.
Ar chie is also a concern at RB defensively, it's why i feel we just have to be on the front foot to get the best from him, i thought he was quite outstanding v Norwich though.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Orange Box wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:28 am I’m one of those who (erroneously) always believed the Wembley pitch bigger than others, so I fretted a bit about Firpos defensive positioning. Now I’m not concerned. I know at some stage he’ll get lost and we could pay a high price, but I’m happy with his attacking/assisting prowess, so Jr would get my nod.
If i was manager now, i'd be going thru plans to utilise both, get them both sat down and say 'look atm it doesn't matter which one of you starts, because i've plans to use you both in equal measure come Sunday.

Either/or could be waiting in the wings after one has given his all for 55-60mins, and as manager i should know which one would get into a game quicker than the other.

So if Firpo starts i'd be telling him you're been replaced after 60 mins unless you're absolutely flying, having a blinder and tell me and you look ok to carry on for up to 75/80 mins even 90, and vice versa. Same with RB and Byram/Gray/Roberts, there is now not much to choose between them.

This can also happen in other areas of the pitch, James/Gnonto for example.
Last edited by Kennyb41 on Thu May 23, 2024 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

;@)
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Bonuses do not have to be paid in cash lump sums. They may equate to share options.
It depends upon the structure of the bonuses, for which only the players and the paymasters will be savvy.

Finances are such a big issue these days the accountants and CFO will have worked out every expenditure down to loose change.

Weather in Italy is amazing, my pale pasty body is turning a nice shade of pink.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:09 am This is a local forum for local people, we'll have no superstitious tomfoolery here.

What we want is hard facts and statistic, numbers to bore us out of our skulls.

We'll have none of this black magic jiggery pokery, rubbing of rabbits feet, or consulting bat s**t crazy old women in caves.

Why is crossing fingers a symbol for good luck? Crossing fingers dates to a pre-Christianity belief in Western Europe in the powerful symbolism of a cross. The intersection was thought to mark a concentration of good spirits and served to anchor a wish until it could come true.

On the otherhand cross your fingers and tell a lie and it doesn't count... which hocus pocus is your cup of tea.
I'll be doing ALL the above and some, if we happen to score when i go for a fag i'll be having 20 during the match.

And 'squeaky arse time' don't even feckin mention it, especially where LUFC are concerned.

How are our 'Doodles' friends feeling about this one anyway ?

Is this their 'Superdish' equivalent?

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:20 am Weather in Italy is amazing, my pale pasty body is turning a nice shade of pink.
I've only been to Southwold for a week, plus playing bowls & taking long walks in my shorts, I'm brown already & we are not even in the summer months yet. :-D
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:13 am I can't say i agree with that tbh going off his first outings at LB, and more recently the 2 or 3 at RB where i feel he was less effective.
Ar chie is also a concern at RB defensively, it's why i feel we just have to be on the front foot to get the best from him, i thought he was quite outstanding v Norwich though.
Byram is right footed, so would be playing as an inverted left back (if on the left side) which could (might) imbalance the team. Firpo, for all his weaknesses never gives the ball away cheaply in the final third, and plays intelligent balls.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:42 am I've only been to Southwold for a week, plus playing bowls & taking long walks in my shorts, I'm brown already & we are not even in the summer months yet. :-D
Behave, not had a holiday of any kind since 2017
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Orange Box wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:28 am I’m one of those who (erroneously) always believed the Wembley pitch bigger than others, so I fretted a bit about Firpos defensive positioning. Now I’m not concerned. I know at some stage he’ll get lost and we could pay a high price, but I’m happy with his attacking/assisting prowess, so Jr would get my nod.
I'd worry about Firpo's defensive positioning if it was played on a sheet of A4.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chilli D wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:36 am I'd worry about Firpo's defensive positioning if it was played on a sheet of A4.
I think we're quick to jump on Firpo as he's been (wrongly) a scapegoat in the past. We've seen Rodon, Ampadu, and especially Gray caught out of position on a fairly regular basis in recent weeks and in the case of Gray, most of the season.

Firpo is actually a decent defender, especially if he asked to do that job, he can and does get turned but so do Gray and Rodon. Firpo maybe doesn't have their recovery time though, he's not as quick as the formerly mentioned pair.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:35 am Behave, not had a holiday of any kind since 2017
I did mean this year.

I still have two more holidays to come during the summer months :-D

Amazing how much money I save not going to all the away matches. Even Wembley is going to be relatively cheap for me being an old codger!!!!