The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd April) Farke gets his excuses in early

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd April) Farke gets his excuses in early

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 3rd May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Farke gets his excuses in early

Daniel Farke has blamed injuries and busy schedule for Leeds sudden decline in form since the International break. Two wins, two draws and four losses have seen Leeds chances of automatic promotion almost diminish. They must beat Southampton and pray that somehow Huddersfield Town can overcome Ipswich, or pin all their hopes on the play-offs!

This isn't Farke's first gig in the Championship. He is well aware of the draining and debilitating challenges it brings; and if truth be known we have actually been quite fortunate this season with injuries! The Summer transfer window was hurried. Leeds had the chance to complete the rebuild in January but decided not to. Last season Radrizzani failed to prepare for life in the Championship. This campaign, the club still refuse to learn by their mistakes!

If you want to bring it over the line you also need a bit of luck. There were a few things we couldn’t influence. Key players like Gnonto, Gruev, Roberts came back injured from international duty, Georgi Rutter needed surgery. Couldn’t influence the schedule. The run-in, normally you think why do you have to play Monday and Friday. You need a bit of luck in these terms. Sadly in these games we didn’t have the experience of Connor Roberts, didn’t have Dan James who has been fantastic, best goals and assists season in his life.

Bamford not available for QPR. Struijk, we’re playing without our cornerstone in defence. For a team like Ipswich, when the schedule came out it’s also not great for them, two weeks without a game then play three times in a week. Credit to them. Two weeks without a game does them a favour. All their key players are back. Sometimes you need a bit of luck with the run-in that the schedule does you a favour and that your key players are available and in the best chance.

Farke excited by play-off hopes

Speaking at a packed out Elland Road press conference, Leeds gaffer Daniel Farke revealed that when he took the ER gig, he didn't think the Whites had a chance of even reaching the play offs. The club's failure to prepare for life in the Championship, was further compounded by relegation clauses in many of the players contracts, allowing them to leave en masse on loan (for free), making Farke's mission all the harder. The 49ers must take some of the responsibility for this. When buying into a club, who wouldn't scrutinise the paperwork relating to your biggest asset (the players)? This could damage the club for many years to come.

We still have a chance of the top two. If second doesn’t happen, then I’m excited by the play-offs. If you told me in September we’d have a chance of the Premier League in the first year of asking. I didn’t say this in public but internally I would have said no chance, because of the situation we were in [last summer]. It’s a great situation.

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd April) Farke gets his excuses in early

Post by The Subhuman »

I like he says Struijk is his defensive cornerstone
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd April) Farke gets his excuses in early

Post by Sean_Nile »

I get knocked down, but i get up again, you're never gonna keep me down.

For though the righteous fall seven times, they rise again, but the wicked stumble when calamity strikes.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:21 am I like he says Struijk is his defensive cornerstone
That makes it even worse

He suffered a potentially season ending injury the month before the January transfer window and failed to bring anyone else in!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:29 am That makes it even worse

He suffered a potentially season ending injury the month before the January transfer window and failed to bring anyone else in!
Good left sided CB's are as rare as rocking horse s**t .... Ampadu did brilliantly to switch there, (still can't work out how he's had a worse season than Rodon in our POTY poll,) but we did miss him as the DMF, as well as Gruev played the defensive bit with the loss of Struijk's progressive football and Ampadu's progressive football in midfield, we seemed to struggle more in transition which added to Farke's natural slow build ups made it tough for us to beat the low block.

And we faced the low block a hell of a lot more than Ipswich..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:37 am Good left sided CB's are as rare as rocking horse s**t .... Ampadu did brilliantly to switch there, (still can't work out how he's had a worse season than Rodon in our POTY poll,) but we did miss him as the DMF, as well as Gruev played the defensive bit with the loss of Struijk's progressive football and Ampadu's progressive football in midfield, we seemed to struggle more in transition which added to Farke's natural slow build ups made it tough for us to beat the low block.

I agree with all that.

What I'm saying is injuries are inevitable but even after losing spence (one of the best Championship players only 18 months previously) and Ayling to just bring in Connor Roberts is more or less gross negligence.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:56 am I agree with all that.

What I'm saying is injuries are inevitable but even after losing spence (one of the best Championship players only 18 months previously) and Ayling to just bring in Connor Roberts is more or less gross negligence.
We do not know what deals he was trying to achieve in the Jan window. Detail tends to emerge later - no point just sticking any bum on a seat. As I recall loans were difficult because of promises of playing time. Even Roberts did not play a huge amount of mins.
In addition the return to form (subjective) of Bamford probably made his mind up about the need for a further 9. In hindsight KM would have been a great addition, if for nothing else to deny the impact he has had for Ipswich.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:56 am I agree with all that.

I said in January we didn't do enough... The one time you do business in Jan is when you're pushing, and we were pushing hard.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

It does beg the question that if Cresswell and Cooper are not deemed good enough, a CDM was pulled back into defence to replace Struijk, why were they not sent out on loan in January?

Similar thing with Jaidon Anthony, where as a back-up winger we've already got ample cover. We've got Summerville, Gnonto, and James as wingers, and I'm pretty sure that Georginio, Firpo and Roberts could also play as wingers in an emergency. Not knocking Anthony, as I think he's done well when given a chance. But for the money we'll be paying that's a waste of a loan.

Why did we not send him back? And Cresswell and Cooper out on loan? And use the financial resources created to bring in loans for positions of need, and players that DF will actually trust and play? Kiefer Moore was available and went to Ipswich, David Brooks was available and went to Southampton. If we had been able to recruit a LCB, or even a CB who DF trusted to fill that position, we've then got EA back in midfield.

Why was nobody brought in to replace Leo Hjelde? He went on a permanent deal in January. Not rated by Farke, but Sunderland saw enough to give him a 4 and a half year deal. The same Sunderland that have taken 4 points off us this season.

The right ins and outs might just have given us the extra resource and options in the squad to get us automatic promotion. Because when you look at Daniel's "bigger picture" we've failed to secure automatic promotion and even win the Championship, only by a handful of points.

Small details have made the difference and caused us to come up short. The club and Farke should learn from this.
Last edited by White Riot on Fri May 03, 2024 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:12 am I said in January we didn't do enough... The one time you do business in Jan is when you're pushing, and we were pushing hard.
:tup: :tup: :tup:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:12 am I said in January we didn't do enough... The one time you do business in Jan is when you're pushing, and we were pushing hard.
Exactly, you're looking for the X factor to get us over the line and we didn't secure it.

I like Connor Roberts a lot, and it's a real shame he's been injured. He brings leadership and will to win, to a leaderless group of players. But was Connor ever gonna be enough to spark our automatic promotion?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

White Riot wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:01 am Exactly, you're looking for the X factor to get us over the line and we didn't secure it.

I like Connor Roberts a lot, and it's a real shame he's been injured. He brings leadership and will to win, to a leaderless group of players. But was Connor ever gonna be enough to spark our automatic promotion?
It's not even the X factor. As White Riot said, we didn't need Jaidon Anthony. It was a strange loan signing. We gave Spence back and wasn't replaced.

We were pinning our hopes on no injuries and seeing out the season with the tank on empty - but why?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Playing Cresswell now would be like taking the car out of the garage when it hasn't been used for 9 months
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:25 am Playing Cresswell now would be like taking the car out of the garage when it hasn't been used for 9 months
And after some Millwall geezer had borrowed it for a year :lol:
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Charles De Ketelaere oh how we persued him.

Che Adams oh how we wooed him.

Anyone would think transfers are so easy. Twice we have sent private jets to pick up players, only to see deals fall through. Sometimes the players we are interested in fail their medical.

Seems we are either thwarted at every turn, or we dodge a bullet. It often seems that it is luck instead of due diligence that reaps rewards, as is the case with Gnonto, and he was a last minute acquisition when the Bamba Dieng deal falls through.

It is all very well to say we should have strengthened in January but if we look at our experiance it is a fallacy to think it would be easy or successful.

Some clubs like Brentford and Ipswich don't make the same mistakes, indeed for the most part (Pontus and Kieffer) they are highly successful in their transfer dealings.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:08 am

Good Morning. It's Friday 3rd May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Farke gets his excuses in early

Daniel Farke has blamed injuries and busy schedule for Leeds sudden decline in form since the International break. Two wins, two draws and four losses have seen Leeds chances of automatic promotion almost diminish. They must beat Southampton and prey that somehow Huddersfield Town can overcome Ipswich, or pin all their hopes on the play-offs!

This isn't Farke's first gig in the Championship. He is well aware of the draining and debilitating challenges it brings; and if truth be known we have actually been quite fortunate this season with injuries! The Summer transfer window was hurried. Leeds had the chance to complete the rebuild in January but decided not to. Last season Radrizzani failed to prepare for life in the Championship. This campaign, the club still refuse to learn by their mistakes!

Farke excited by play-off hopes

Speaking at a packed out Elland Road press conference, Leeds gaffer Daniel Farke revealed that when he took the ER gig, he didn't think the Whites had a chance of even reaching the play offs. The club's failure to prepare for life in the Championship, was further compounded by relegation clauses in many of the players contracts, allowing them to leave en masse on loan (for free), making Farke's mission all the harder. The 49ers must take some of the responsibility for this. When buying into a club, who wouldn't scrutinise the paperwork relating to your biggest asset (the players)? This could damage the club for many years to come.

"Complete the rebuild in January"

I'll say that again

Complete the rebuild in January...

One more time.

Complete the rebuild in January.

I have a question for you.

Yes or No

Do you actually believe the stuff you write?

A bit like Chelsea and Forest do every season then? They love a rebuild.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Supersaint3
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Supersaint3 »

Can I be a voice in saying, we have probably over achieved this season given the start we had and particularly what Farke started with? Playoffs we won't come up I feel... And it does feel that given the momentum up to the international break we should be going up top two and it is a disappointing season in that respect... But I want to advocate for Farke's work all the same... Anyway I'm just on the flight now, few pints of Guinness imbibed :D and I managed to score a ticket (albeit in the away end) in Dublin airport so the trip isn't a total loss! I'll at least be in the stadium with a big coat on me and keeping mum... Anyone know is it possible to get taken out of the away end and into the home fans once in ER?
Leeds and St. Patricks Athletic FC!
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Supersaint3 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:38 pm Can I be a voice in saying, we have probably over achieved this season given the start we had and particularly what Farke started with? Playoffs we won't come up I feel... And it does feel that given the momentum up to the international break we should be going up top two and it is a disappointing season in that respect... But I want to advocate for Farke's work all the same... Anyway I'm just on the flight now, few pints of Guinness imbibed :D and I managed to score a ticket (albeit in the away end) in Dublin airport so the trip isn't a total loss! I'll at least be in the stadium with a big coat on me and keeping mum... Anyone know is it possible to get taken out of the away end and into the home fans once in ER?
Well done mate 👍

If you wait until you get in to ER, take your seat in amongst the Saints fans and then hurl abuse at them, I'm sure the stewards will just think you're one of the South Stand regulars that's stumbled down the wrong path and reunite you with our most civilised group of supporters 8-)
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

White Riot wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:16 pm Well done mate 👍

If you wait until you get in to ER, take your seat in amongst the Saints fans and then hurl abuse at them, I'm sure the stewards will just think you're one of the South Stand regulars that's stumbled down the wrong path and reunite you with our most civilised group of supporters 8-)
OR the Southampton thugs ( im sure they have a few ) will beat your head in and stamp you into the concrete. :)
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:37 am Good left sided CB's are as rare as rocking horse s**t .... Ampadu did brilliantly to switch there, (still can't work out how he's had a worse season than Rodon in our POTY poll,) but we did miss him as the DMF, as well as Gruev played the defensive bit with the loss of Struijk's progressive football and Ampadu's progressive football in midfield, we seemed to struggle more in transition which added to Farke's natural slow build ups made it tough for us to beat the low block.

Maybe this was because most teams worked out we are crap against a low block. Rocket science, it ain’t.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.