I want playoff football and here's why

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: I want playoff football and here's why

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:09 am Nooo it isn't..... It's only football, there are more important things in life you know
Totally agree, although I'm refusing to watch our contenders matches to keep the stress factor down to a bare minimum.

It was great logging on to MOT & BBC Sport with the realization that Cardiff had scored the winner in the 96th minute, I'd have been like cat on hot bricks had I watched the previous 95 minutes.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:19 am :tup:

This forum will be a great place IF we make the playoff final. Dead, if we go up in second. At that point we'll start getting the pointless "Why haven't we bought anyone threads"
Indeed.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:41 am 1. It extends the season for us by up to 3 games. Weekends/weeks without football are not the same, MOT will not have to go into hibernation till the 24/25 season kicks off in July (lets face it with the Euro's this year there will not be much in player sales and buys until that's over)

2. Should be a great sense of anticipation here should we make the final.

3. A trophy for the cabinet is on the line, think we all realize a second Championship trophy is unlikely now and you get f**k all for second

4. We need to break the cup/playoff curse. This could be the way
Some good points, Faaip.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:39 pm Thought I'd made that clear, are you saying I didn't give good enough reasons? Thought the debate was worth having
You've created that, alright. :tup:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Playoffs are locked in as far as I am concerned so we may as well and try and enjoy them.

It will be hard going though, as we will play three sides who have made it very difficult for us.

WBA we struggled home and away
Norwich we stole a win in the first game and then SH who were all over us at their place and who have some very classy players.

But if we can get Rutter fit I reckon we could get to Wembley
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Debate worth having but personally playoffs is an awful prospect.

I said ages ago whichever of us, Ipswich or Leicester ended in the playoffs would never win them, stand by that.

The mental blow of not getting automatic would be so vast I don't think any of us 3 would recover imo.

May have some faith if we won our next 3 and ended in the playoffs, atleast in good form.

But at the moment
giphy-3.gif
giphy-3.gif (4.67 MiB) Viewed 693 times
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:54 pm Debate worth having but personally playoffs is an awful prospect.

I said ages ago whichever of us, Ipswich or Leicester ended in the playoffs would never win them, stand by that.

The mental blow of not getting automatic would be so vast I don't think any of us 3 would recover imo.

May have some faith if we won our next 3 and ended in the playoffs, atleast in good form.

But at the moment

giphy-3.gif
A key point.

Teams finishing 3rd rarely win the play-offs.
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

The automatic promotion spot would be a massive achievement for Leeds United, I would take this all day long and the thought of having to get to the premiership through the playoffs is another level of stress that any fan would want to avoid imo. There are many factors that shape my decision, one of course is our absolute shite record in the playoffs and not forgeting our form has dipped considerably since the international break and key players like Rutter are struggling...... We will soon see where Leeds finish in the coming weeks, 2 wins and draw and we may have chance, if not we have to rely on DF tactical knowledge to bring us home. omg.. :)
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

While I haven't completely ruled out automatic promotion, I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that we will be in the play offs and have started considering who I want us to play.
I think Leicester are locked in for top 2 after their lucky win on Saturday so it's between us and Ipswich for the other spot.
If it goes down to the final day, Ipswich will definitely clinch it if they just need to win as they're at home to a piss poor Huddersfield.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:06 am Money ain't everything .. and it's easily wasted
DF and these new guys seem to have their heads screwed on correctly, and i can't see them putting any money into the hands of a self centred bullying haphazard clown.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sean_Nile wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:54 am A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
Twiggster would have agreed
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

If we are definitely in the playoffs before the last game should we consider resting most of the team for the Southampton match ?
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:06 am Money ain't everything .. and it's easily wasted
Orta's gone . 😉
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:56 am While I haven't completely ruled out automatic promotion, I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that we will be in the play offs and have started considering who I want us to play.
I think Leicester are locked in for top 2 after their lucky win on Saturday so it's between us and Ipswich for the other spot.
If it goes down to the final day, Ipswich will definitely clinch it if they just need to win as they're at home to a piss poor Huddersfield.
That lot of retards has had luck all season..pure and utter luck and nothing else , so why would it change now . Good thing is I hope they break Derby's worst ever points total in PL and get the worst ,lowest number ever.......AND.....break their own record for biggest defeat (9-0) . Anyway , play offs......I really hope not, Leeds record is abysmal in play offs and current form doesn't really point to stopping that. Southampton are the team to watch( unlucky against the previous mentioned scum ) and I think maybe Albion will be a bit too physical... technically Leeds on their day are better than any, but it's also the mental game and not sure Lees players are up to that. I hope for second place still , but it's a tough shout .
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Clacton White wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:22 am Orta's gone . 😉
I’m guessing that’s a glib off the cuff remark but Orta did alright tbf, a lot of this excellent current team is Orta’s.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Clacton White wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:29 am That lot of retards has had luck all season..pure and utter luck and nothing else , so why would it change now . Good thing is I hope they break Derby's worst ever points total in PL and get the worst ,lowest number ever.......AND.....break their own record for biggest defeat (9-0) . Anyway , play offs......I really hope not, Leeds record is abysmal in play offs and current form doesn't really point to stopping that. Southampton are the team to watch( unlucky against the previous mentioned scum ) and I think maybe Albion will be a bit too physical... technically Leeds on their day are better than any, but it's also the mental game and not sure Lees players are up to that. I hope for second place still , but it's a tough shout .
Completely agree regarding the Ipswich comments CW.
West Brom were so unlucky on Saturday, they looked a really good side. We should try and sign Mikey Johnston in the summer, he looks hell of a player. I think he's currently on loan from Celtic.
Last edited by Chilli D on Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:05 pm Totally agree, although I'm refusing to watch our contenders matches to keep the stress factor down to a bare minimum.

It was great logging on to MOT & BBC Sport with the realization that Cardiff had scored the winner in the 96th minute, I'd have been like cat on hot bricks had I watched the previous 95 minutes.
You're getting as bad as me!
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Boss: "Do you want the promotion? If so, it's yours!"

Worker: "No thanks, I'd like to enter into an extremely difficult one-off competition against three of my best peers to see who gets the promotion regardless of past performance just for the fun of it"

...said no-one ever (until this thread)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:10 am You're getting as bad as me!
Pointless stressing ourselves out at our ages, although you are still a young lady, Swannie.