The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 15th April) Leeds are falling apart - again

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 15th April) Leeds are falling apart - again

Post by Sean_Nile »

The form of the top six teams at weeks 4,8,12. None of the top three teams Ipswich, Lester, or Leeds are on form at the moment, however the teams that Leeds have to play are on form. Lester have been out of it for some time, and I would say Ipswich are doing the best.

Which is not good news for betting men.
IMG_20240415_165541.jpg
IMG_20240415_165610.jpg
IMG_20240415_165633.jpg
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 15th April) Leeds are falling apart - again

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:53 am I am not convinced Gruev is our best defensive midfielder. He is tidy but he is not going to create anything based on what I have seen so far. We needed a goal, they had parked the bus. Under the circumstances I had no issue with Gruev going off. If he had been on the pitch - do you think we had more chance of scoring or preventing their goal ?

Gnonto is the change that baffled me most. But other posters suggest it may have been down to metrics, coming back from an injury etc. All of which are valid possibilities. The fact he isn’t injured is a positive as we are going to need him big time for the next three games.
Gruev, has hardly got an attacking bone in his body, were those two shots his first for Leeds on Saturday? Nevertheless, we'd have more chance of preventing their goal with Gruev on, as he is a natural defensive player as opposed to Archie taking on that role. Gray's defensive awareness is not one of his strong points of his game got caught ball-watching, not the first time this season, bless him!

Gruev, Gnonto & Roberts all unlucky to be subbed, there were others who deserved an early bath.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Blackburn had three opportunities to score & caused chaos each time.

Meslier makes a fine save from Szmodics.

Roberts intervention to stop them scoring on the line, with the ball fortunately rolling into Meslier's hands.

One punt up field from their keeper & our four defenders were all over the place & incapable of dealing with only two men up top as Szmodics finds the space to slot home, notice how he hits his shot across our keeper, that's the key to scoring goals.
Phild
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Phild »

Not sure we seemed capable of scoring even before the subs
Opposition goalkeepers are having a relatively comfortable time against us of late and that’s what worries me
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

In perspective these last 3 matches were against 3 sides that we struggled against first time around. We took 1 point this time compared to 4 points from the same 3 fixtures first time around - the big difference being that we beat Blackburn first time around but it was a game where perhaps the scoreline flattered us as we won 2-0 despite only having 8 shots compared to Blackburn's 12 and Blackburn even enjoyed 54% possession against us which is remarkable given how we usually dominate possession.

It could have been far worse. We could have repeated the 4 point haul that we got against those 3 teams (Blackburn, Sunderland and Coventry) that we achieved first time around but if Leicester and Ipswich had repeated their results (from their last 3 matches using the results from when they played those team earlier in the season), then Leicester would have taken 9 points and Ipswich take 7

So we got 1 point instead of 4
Ipswich got 2 points instead of 7
Leciester got 3 points instead of 9

So we were 3 points worse off, Ipswich 5 points worse off and Leicester 6 points worse off.
Southampton have been the only team to have bettered their earlier results taking 7 points from their last 3 matches against teams that they took 5 points from earlier in the season.
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

WhiteRose wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:23 am I think they were and I think we would have won had Farke not gone bonkers with subs, there was no need to bring those 3 players on when he did, all just felt a bit desperate, chasing a goal whilst forgetting the other team could still score.
That’s a good point ( breaking the flow which lots of subs).
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:31 am Not here... hated the subs the second Paddy was getting warmed up and I think most of us didn't like the removal of Gnonto, Roberts and Gruev, even at the time
I meant the changes to the starting line up ( not the subs which seemed to disrupt our effectiveness).
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:33 pm In perspective these last 3 matches were against 3 sides that we struggled against first time around. We took 1 point this time compared to 4 points from the same 3 fixtures first time around - the big difference being that we beat Blackburn first time around but it was a game where perhaps the scoreline flattered us as we won 2-0 despite only having 8 shots compared to Blackburn's 12 and Blackburn even enjoyed 54% possession against us which is remarkable given how we usually dominate possession.

It could have been far worse. We could have repeated the 4 point haul that we got against those 3 teams (Blackburn, Sunderland and Coventry) that we achieved first time around but if Leicester and Ipswich had repeated their results (from their last 3 matches using the results from when they played those team earlier in the season), then Leicester would have taken 9 points and Ipswich take 7

So we got 1 point instead of 4
Ipswich got 2 points instead of 7
Leciester got 3 points instead of 9

So we were 3 points worse off, Ipswich 5 points worse off and Leicester 6 points worse off.
Southampton have been the only team to have bettered their earlier results taking 7 points from their last 3 matches against teams that they took 5 points from earlier in the season.
Could have been better given how utterly crap Sunderland and Blackburn have been for months
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Phild
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Phild »

Not sure why making the subs ultimately lost the game
Had to change it up at some point as things were not working and he still retained a back 4 which should have been more than comfortable to cope with any threat
People saying 1 point would have been Ok
Surely not before the game and only with the hindsight of the Ipswich result
Think 2 wins and a draw will be enough but not sure we have it in us
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Phild wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:56 pm Not sure why making the subs ultimately lost the game
Had to change it up at some point as things were not working and he still retained a back 4 which should have been more than comfortable to cope with any threat
People saying 1 point would have been Ok
Surely not before the game and only with the hindsight of the Ipswich result
Think 2 wins and a draw will be enough but not sure we have it in us
Yeah if Farke had have not made the subs and even if we went on to draw fans would have been saying 2 points dropped and blaming Farke.

We have played a similar way many times this season but got a goal at some point and then won the match. Similarly we have done this several times where we have dominated but not scored and then lost the match. Could easily have happened against Sunderland that we lost. We just have to bounce back and trust the way we played which has seen us win far more than we have drawn or lost.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:53 pm Could have been better given how utterly crap Sunderland and Blackburn have been for months
It could but it does show how everyone is struggling and we could have won 2 out of 3 matches and been in a worse position.
Phild
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Phild »

I cursed at the subs only for the reason that I did not think they would win us the game
Their goal was route 1 where they win BOTH the first and second ball
Subs or no subs same result
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:02 pm Yeah if Farke had have not made the subs and even if we went on to draw fans would have been saying 2 points dropped and blaming Farke.

We have played a similar way many times this season but got a goal at some point and then won the match. Similarly we have done this several times where we have dominated but not scored and then lost the match. Could easily have happened against Sunderland that we lost. We just have to bounce back and trust the way we played which has seen us win far more than we have drawn or lost.
If ever the world suffers a terrible natural disaster I hope I’m able to read your take on things. I’m sure it’ll be upbeat & positive 😁
Off course I’ll probably only be able to read Cjinx version and then if I’m still alive I’ll top myself 😂
Much love Cjay. Much love.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:53 pm Could have been better given how utterly crap Sunderland and Blackburn have been for months
Have to correct you there. Blackburn are in the top 6 form wise over the last 4 games.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Sean_Nile wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:28 pm Have to correct you there. Blackburn are in the top 6 form wise over the last 4 games.
1 win in 11 when we played them
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Not sure whether next season will be a bit less competitive at the top. I’d be surprised if kompany stayed at Burnley, wilder will leave sheff united who have a massive 2 point deduction. Luton I’m not sure on I guess rob edwards stays which would keep them up there and I can’t really see anyone else in the champ becoming much better than they already are. It would also be highly unusual for another league 1 team to be as good as Ipswich. If the 49ers do a proper gamble and don’t sell off our best I can see us doing well again - question is does Farke remain?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

WhiteRose wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:43 pm Not sure whether next season will be a bit less competitive at the top. I’d be surprised if kompany stayed at Burnley, wilder will leave sheff united who have a massive 2 point deduction. Luton I’m not sure on I guess rob edwards stays which would keep them up there and I can’t really see anyone else in the champ becoming much better than they already are. It would also be highly unusual for another league 1 team to be as good as Ipswich. If the 49ers do a proper gamble and don’t sell off our best I can see us doing well again - question is does Farke remain?
Id say he does, this is a freak season with the top 4 being so dominant for so long and as you say it is hard to see it replicated next time.

Under Farke we have scored the goals and won us the points that would ordinarily take us up. He was handed a 4 year contract and imo the owners would be crazy to replace him.

I think Watford have the potential to have a strong season, out of all the teams I have watched they seem to be the only ones whose good players are not owned by someone else.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Didn't see the game due to working all weekend. Lad at work was down to the last 4 in a rolled over Last man standing comp worth £3400 to the winner. Who did he choose... Yep, infact two of them chose the mighty Leeds he said. I said to him straight away we are in terrible form and then back tracked a bit and told him we had not lost at home all season as i didn't want to stress him any more. He told me he had also put £50 on the draw just in case... :shock: . One of the lads had gone out on Friday with LC so it was down to the last 3 with the other one choosing Swansea and winning it.

Top bloke tho Andy. Although understandably gutted he said he was happy for the Scouser who did win it. He had met him at the races last year.

Leeds, Leeds are falling apart again....
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:02 pm Yeah if Farke had have not made the subs and even if we went on to draw fans would have been saying 2 points dropped and blaming Farke.

Your not really making an argument for Farke though are you, it's more of an apologetic excuse with no real feeling.. Yes subs had to be made, but you don't sub for sub sake with no consideration for what comes next... If it were a chess game Farke swapped his queen and rooks for three pawns

And yes we kept a back four but removed the protection for the back 4 while altering the back 4 personnel...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

A Bristol Shitty mate was messaging me Saturday “we stuffed them 5-0 and you can’t beat them”.
I said well we beat you twice as we always do. Go figure.
It’s that no real logic time of the season.