The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 27th March) Wales heartache and the knock on effect for Leeds

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 27th March) Wales heartache and the knock on effect for Leeds

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 27th March, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Wales heartache and the knock on effect for Leeds

Wales were cruelly denied a place in this Summer's Euro 2024 finals, after being knocked out in a penalty shoot out by Robert Lewandowski's Poland last night. After 120 minutes of gruelling football failed to separate the two sides, the play-off would be decided from spot kicks. Unfortunately for Dan James (Wales fifth penalty taker), Szczęsny guessed the right way, and sent Wales crashing out of the competition.

Joel Rodon (120 mins), Ethan Ampadu (120 mins), Connor Roberts (84 mins) and Dan James (50 mins) all find themselves back in action in 48 hours time, when Leeds go to Vicarage Road hoping to keep their automatic promotion dreams alive. What kind of condition (both physically and mentally) will they be in? Leeds will almost certainly be without Junior Firpo (returning from a 14 hour flight from Peru) and Georginio Rutter (keyhole surgery last week); can they afford to do without their Welsh contingent? Connor Roberts picked up a knock, which led to his 84th minute substitution.

'Bulletproof ' Ampadu has been an inspiration

Ethan Ampadu has been an absolute inspiration since joining the Whites last Summer from Chelsea for £7m. He has started every league game this season, amassing an incredible 3420 minutes of game time. He has been substitution just once this season (in the league), in the dying minutes of the Boxing Day defeat at Preston, yet still averages 90 minutes per game.

His ability to switch roles mid season from midfield to centre back (when Pascal Struijk got injured) has left Whites fans in awe. Since joining Joel Rodon at centre back, fourteen games ago, Leeds have conceded just three times! Such devastating form could make it difficult to recall him back to midfield when Struijk returns.

For a footballer with the attributes to fill either position [centre back and midfield], what to do when the answer to the question of which suits him best is ‘both’? Thirty-eight games into Leeds United’s season, Daniel Farke is no better placed to settle the debate. Ampadu, for several months, was rock solid at the base of his midfield but since January, he has been part of a defence which is as close as it gets to being impossible to penetrate. The discussion about him is the toss of a coin.

The past eight months have been a test of how bulletproof Farke’s first signing for Leeds is and no respite is coming. In pursuit of promotion, Farke might need Ampadu to push through and compile an ever-present Championship term. Nothing at Leeds is more certain than Ampadu’s name on the teamsheet, but an absent Struijk would make his form and durability critical for the matches that remain. Like Ben White, who started and finished every league fixture when Leeds last won promotion in 2020, Ampadu has a knack for going through contest after contest without looking like the elastic is about to snap.

Joseph sends Spain three points clear in Euro qualifiers

Matteo Joseph's 88th minute winner was all that separated Spain and Belgium (U21's) last night. He had only been on the pitch for five minutes when he broke the deadlock, sending his team three points clear of nearest rivals Scotland in group B of the Euro U21 qualifiers! Joseph 20, has only recently pledged his allegiance to Spain, having represented England U20's ten times, scoring three times. His mother is Spanish, whilst his father (Emile Heskey's cousin) is English. During a recent interview, Leeds Manager Daniel Farke claimed Mateo Joseph had 'opened the door' to the Leeds United first team - now it is up to him to go through it!

Last edited by Ellandback1 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th March) Wales heartache and the knock on effect for Leeds

Post by The Subhuman »

Erm .....It's Wednesday
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th March) Wales heartache and the knock on effect for Leeds

Post by Ellandback1 »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:26 am Erm .....It's Wednesday
Good spot!!!!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 27th March) Wales heartache and the knock on effect for Leeds

Post by Ellandback1 »

To me, Ampadu has to be player of the season. He's been head and shoulders consistently our best player, just behind Rodon. Really hope both are fit for Friday!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 27th March) Wales heartache and the knock on effect for Leeds

Post by Chilli D »

The dilemma for DF is whether to go with a Cresswell/ Cooper CB combination for the Watford game and save Rodon and Ampadu for Monday.
I expect both will say they want to play.

Good to hear Joseph scored again, he's really starting to knock on the starting 11 door now. I expect him to get more minutes in the last 8 games.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
Said the same thing last night, hope our welsh contingent bounce straight back on friday night.
It's not only the minutes played, it can get you down losing in a big game like that, hopefully they get the right support back at ER.

Ampadu has truly been inspirational all season, he needs to keep itup to get something out of a gruelling season.

Chuffed for Joseph, theres no way he'd get into the England set up anyway with Southgates favouritism.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

To me, Ampadu has to be player of the season. He's been head and shoulders consistently our best player, just behind Rodon. Really hope both are fit for Friday!
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:01 am Good spot!!!!
Just be very sure if you change the title of the Topic you don't precipitate a forum meltdown.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sean_Nile wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:34 am Just be very sure if you change the title of the Topic you don't precipitate a forum meltdown.
LOL, but of course he can change the thread title, it's his to edit
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:11 am The dilemma for DF is whether to go with a Cresswell/ Cooper CB combination for the Watford game and save Rodon and Ampadu for Monday.

Good to hear Joseph scored again, he's really starting to knock on the starting 11 door now. I expect him to get more minutes in the last 8 games.
Watford have pace up front, we will be without Firpo so to bring in those two would be a massive risk.
Joseph scoring again makes a huge case for him to start on Friday
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:11 am The dilemma for DF is whether to go with a Cresswell/ Cooper CB combination for the Watford game and save Rodon and Ampadu for Monday.

Rodon & Ampadu have to start if fit.

I wouldn't trust Coops & Cresswell, lets face it, they have hardly played for months.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Pretty certain he won’t make a change for any of our remaining games unless he is forced to do so as a result of injuries or suspensions. He is definitely not the tinkering type.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:02 am To me, Ampadu has to be player of the season. He's been head and shoulders consistently our best player, just behind Rodon. Really hope both are fit for Friday!
Interesting contradiction, or am I just reading this wrong ??
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:18 am To me, Ampadu has to be player of the season. He's been head and shoulders consistently our best player, just behind Rodon. Really hope both are fit for Friday!
Both more consistent than the influential Georginio.

I doubt we'd be fighting for an automatic promotion place without the Rodon/Ampadu combination.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Sean_Nile wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:34 am Just be very sure if you change the title of the Topic you don't precipitate a forum meltdown.
We wouldn't want that... :shock:
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I had time to have a read a few threads last night - the general chat thread made me laugh. What was all that about ???

I am just sticking to the football - the other threads are a minefield and I rarely tread carefully - best to stay clear.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:25 am Both more consistent than the influential Georginio.

I doubt we'd be fighting for an automatic promotion place without the Rodon/Ampadu combination.
That will spark a reaction. But I agree entirely, they are our bedrock - any successful team has a solid CB partnership.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I would like to see Joseph start a game this season. With a bit of luck if results are in our favour in the coming weeks or paddy gets injured doing his Joe Wilkinson podcast ( head phones can be dangerous in the wrong hands ) he may have an opportunity.
Last edited by DDB220 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:30 am I had time to have a read a few threads last night - the general chat thread made me laugh. What was all that about ???

I am just sticking to the football - the other threads are a minefield and I rarely tread carefully - best to stay clear.
A big fuss about nothing.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

DDB220 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:30 am I had time to have a read a few threads last night - the general chat thread made me laugh. What was all that about ???

I'm the same DDB, I can't be bothered with all the petty squabbling. People need to agree to disagree and move on.
I rarely comment on things outside of football on here.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden