The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th March) Phillips linked with Elland Road return

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th March) Phillips linked with Elland Road return

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 20th March, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Phillips linked with ER return

Kalvin Phillips could make a sensational return back to Elland Road this Summer if the back pages of the tabloids are to be believed. The 28 year old is currently out on loan with West Ham, but after a disastrous start to 2024, he sits bottom (24th) of their 'Whoscored' roster with a woeful 5.89 rating. Initially, the Hammers were interested in making the move permanent, but after 21 months out in the Citeh wilderness, the lad from Wortley has lost his way.

Manchester City are expecting to recoup much of the £42m they paid for him two Summers ago, though the truth of the matter (however harsh it sounds) is that for much of Leeds previous campaign, Phillips inclusion in the squad was as much to do with reputation as it was his performances on the pitch.

No doubt Leeds sold him at the right time, but thats not to say he couldn't do a job at Leeds, if the price was right (£10m - £15m).

Foxes still favourites to lift Championship title

Foxes Manager Enzo Maresca must now be regretting his choice words prior to the top of the table clash with Leeds almost four weeks ago. With three defeats, two wins and a draw, his side have slipped down to 15th place in the form guide (six games), and are in serious trouble of missing out on automatic promotion.

Whites fans were outraged with Maresca showing a complete lack of respect towards his opponents, just minutes before kick off, stating "it's a huge game for Leeds. For us, it's just another game". Karma has a way to bite you where it hurts Their once 17 point advantage over Leeds has disappeared. Leicester City are still favourites to lift the title 8/13, with Leeds second 15/8, Ipswich 10/1 and Southampton fourth at 20/1.

Leicester (1/9) and Leeds 2/7) are a long way ahead of both the Tractor boys (5/2) and the Saints (7/1) to finish top two, though Southampton have two games in hand, and have to play both Leeds and Ipswich Town.

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th March) Phillips linked with ER return

Post by The Subhuman »

No brainer for me at 10M, he left his mojo at ER
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Half time orange
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th March) Phillips linked with ER return

Post by Half time orange »

I don't want 'fatty' Phillips back now. It was great at the time but time's moved on.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

I read Kamara has a habit of biting you where it hurts.
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

Half time orange wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:16 am I don't want 'fatty' Phillips back now. It was great at the time but time's moved on.
He can lose the fat (plus the photo above has been squashed to make him look like a dwarf)

He would get his mojo back instantly at ER. If 10-15m then it would make a lot of sense.

Maresca regretting his words? I doubt it, each game is just another game (and he needs his team to win almost all of them).

Foxes favourites to win the title, rightfully so. They will go ahead of us when they win their next match.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th March) Phillips linked with Elland Road return

Post by Jaydog »

I presume that should read aren’t and not are expected to recoup much of the fee.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Clitheroe White wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:25 am Foxes favourites to win the title, rightfully so. They will go ahead of us when they win their next match.
They will also stay behind us when they loose their next match

Who's to say?
mentalcase

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th March) Phillips linked with Elland Road return

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
Phillips again EB :roll: god loves a trier.
Couldn't afford his over exorbitant wages anyway, nevermind the fact he left us, plus he's nowhere near better than we already have, so it's a NO from me.
How the heck are they gonna recoup most of that silly £45 M fee we had them for, we won't fall for that again like Augustin will we !!

I would love to win the league, but, going up is most important, if it's a 2 way battle then very good, but it it's still very much a 4 way battle.
As Billy says "KEEP FIGHTING"
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

:)
Sean_Nile wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:23 am I read Kamara has a habit of biting you where it hurts.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:12 am No brainer for me at 10M, he left his mojo at ER
He's probably still not fully fit. He needs to be playing every game for several months to catch up.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Half time orange wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:16 am I don't want 'fatty' Phillips back now. It was great at the time but time's moved on.
Welcome to the forum half time Orange.

A summer transfer window isn't a transfer window until at least 2 or 3 ex players are linked with a move back to ER
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

It would be worth £15m just to show Archie and Harry Gray it's not worth leaving the Elland Road.
ruttermania
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ruttermania »

It seems to me that in the Bielsa team that Phillips was the cog that kept everything running and there was never a convincing replacement . His absence through injury in the second season back in the Premiership was a major contributory factor to the downturn in form leading to Bielsa being sacked and everything that flowed from that . It could also be argued that if Bielsa was still manager that Kalvin might have had a different attitude when Pep came calling . It should also be remembered that as an Academy product his sale was pure profit and therefore probablya major contributor to keeping the club right from FFP angle etc. He certainly seems a preferable option to me to Longstaff but that depends on price, wages etc. There's no shame to anybody being unable to dislodge Rodri in that City team but Kalvin clearly needs to be playing on a regular basis and I don't know if DF would see him as better at the moment than Ampadu, Gray, Gruev and Kamara ?
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

We are fully stocked in midfield at the moment

If we were to buy one it would make more sense to go for playmaker who gets goals and assists
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Needless to say, I would take Kalvin back.

His mojo would instantly return, playing for his hometown club.

We need to sign Premier League quality players, not Jonny foreigners who have no allegiance to Leeds.

Our current squad know what being LEEDS is all about, we have to build on that mentality.
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:13 am Needless to say, I would take Kalvin back.

His mojo would instantly return, playing for his hometown club.

We need to sign Premier League quality players, not Jonny foreigners who have no allegiance to Leeds.

Our current squad know what being LEEDS is all about, we have to build on that mentality.
Erm.... Kalvins allegiance is not exactly steadfast is it??
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:04 am He's probably still not fully fit. He needs to be playing every game for several months to catch up.
Or, I don’t know, maybe a full preseason and friendlies
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:30 am Erm.... Kalvins allegiance is not exactly steadfast is it??
I see no evidence of that
hector

Post by hector »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:33 am I see no evidence of that
Well he isn't here is he?
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

hector wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:36 am Well he isn't here is he?

He's buggered orf ! :)
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons