The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 22nd February) - Opta Predict Automatic Promotion for Leeds

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 22nd February) - Opta Predict Automatic Promotion for Leeds

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 22nd February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Opta Predict Automatic Promotion for Leeds

Sports analytics giants OPTA have indicated that Leeds have more than a fair chance of automatic promotion, come the end of the season according to Elland Road journalist Phil Hay. The OPTA super computer has been working in overdrive this season. Every bit of data has been scrutinised, and every eventuality carefully calculated, and finally, there's some good news for Leeds fans!

The super computer doesn't see any changes in the top four, with Leicester given a 98% of automatic promotion, and expected points tally of 103. Leeds are predicted to finish second on 94 points, three ahead of Ipswich in third, and four more than Southampton. Leeds have a 59% chance of automatic promotion, with Ipswich 25% and Southampton 18%. With 13 games to go, much can still change.

Leicester retain a 98 per cent chance of automatic promotion, with the odds decreasing as you go down the table. Southampton’s recent defeats (to Bristol City and Hull) saw them slide from second to fourth, denting their odds to an 18 per cent chance of going up in the top two.

As for projected final points tallies, Opta estimates that Leicester will finish on about 103 points, Leeds on 94, Ipswich on 91 and Southampton on 90. The gap between fourth and fifth, which has been sizeable all season, does not look likely to close in the remaining 13 fixtures, with West Bromwich Albion (on 55 points, 12 points behind Southampton) projected to finish on about 76 points. That leaves them with a 0.1 per cent chance of making the automatic promotion places, with a four-point gap between them and Coventry City in seventh.

Struijk on comeback trail

Pascal Struijk is finally on the road to recovery, and could be available for selection after the International break. The welcome news came at Daniel Farke's pre press conference yesterday as Leeds prepare for their top of the table clash against Leicester City on Friday evening. Struijk has been out of action since picking up a groin strain during their 2-1 defeat at Deepdale on Boxing Day. Whilst Ethan Ampadu has proved to be more than capable in central defence, he's more accomplished in-front of it!

The Leeds skipper has been in the gym and weights room at Thorp Arch building up his strength, and should be ready to join team training in a couple of weeks! According to Farke...

Positive, he’s allowed to extend his training load. The doctors mentioned over 2-2.5 weeks we have to build him up a bit. If everything works in the perfect way, he can be back in team training, then available for games after the international break.

New Huddersfield boss takes cheap shot at Leeds

New Huddersfield Town boss Andre Breitenreiter (nope, I've never heard of him either) took a sly dig at Leeds Utd during his first press conference since being appointed Chief dog botherer! The clearly deluded 50yo tried to convince the room that due to David Wagner, and having spent two years in the Premier League, Huddersfield Town are more well known than Leeds, back in Germany! Perhaps Breitenreiter should choose his battles more carefully. His side are two points from the drop zone, and have the worst aggregate outside of the bottom two.

Yes I read the newspaper yesterday and they told everyone about Huddersfield and me. Because of David Wagner, the promotion and two years in the Premier League, many people know about Huddersfield, more than about Leeds.

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 22nd February) - Opta Predict Automatic Promotion for Leeds

Post by Ellandback1 »

Who has the toughest run-in?

mentalcase

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 22nd February) - Opta Predict Automatic Promotion for Leeds

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
Lets just hope we do get automatic promotion, then the board back DF and the next phase of the project begins.

Great news we have Pascal ready to return shortly, gives us another option and depth.

Huddersfield who ?
There are more German whites come for the games than hudds get at home.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Why are Soton in 'black' on Ipswich's column of games.

We know teams fighting relegation at the arse end of the season can put up more of a fight/game than mid table players with one eye on the beach.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Neil Warnock and Steve Bruce two of the greatest managers in the English football were managers of Huddersfield

enough said
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Can anyone remember where opta had us at the start of the season? As Kenny said teams near the bottom of the league look the easier games on paper but I’d take a mid table team over a team fighting for survival all day long. Long way to go but we’ve got the momentum & the others are starting to show a few wobbles 🙏🏻
Keeping The Faith
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:39 am Can anyone remember where opta had us at the start of the season? As Kenny said teams near the bottom of the league look the easier games on paper but I’d take a mid table team over a team fighting for survival all day long. Long way to go but we’ve got the momentum & the others are starting to show a few wobbles 🙏🏻
I just don't feel there is any guarantee with any fixture. A mid table on the beach side may play relaxed and play good football. A releagtion threatened side may give everything but still lack the quality to hurt a team. A promoton rival may be on the verge of imploding under the pressure (like we have done). The key for me is that we remain strong and play like we can. If we play to our best then unless we miss chance after chance then our results should take care of themselves.
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

It's a bit early for predictions. We could be in 4th position if we lose tomorrow and Saints and Ipswich win.
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

WestgateRun wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:34 pm It's a bit early for predictions. We could be in 4th position if we lose tomorrow and Saints and Ipswich win.
Couldn't you have waited till after the weekend to tell us that ? :)
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:39 am Can anyone remember where opta had us at the start of the season? As Kenny said teams near the bottom of the league look the easier games on paper but I’d take a mid table team over a team fighting for survival all day long. Long way to go but we’ve got the momentum & the others are starting to show a few wobbles 🙏🏻
I do remember someone coming into the shop and telling me some SUPER computer predicted we wouldn't finish in the top 6 '
I think there's a good chance the SUPER computer may have got it wrong.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I been hearing we poached the chief scout from Liverpool for Thorp Arch !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:49 pm I been hearing we poached the chief scout from Liverpool for Thorp Arch !!
Have they got any German connection, if so could have credence given the Klopp departure / DF background.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Clitheroe White wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:14 pm Have they got any German connection, if so could have credence given the Klopp departure / DF background.
I'm unsure yet, but that was my first train of thought.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Madron wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:54 pm I do remember someone coming into the shop and telling me some SUPER computer predicted we wouldn't finish in the top 6 '
I think there's a good chance the SUPER computer may have got it wrong.
Just shows the super computers are total BS and not worth paying attention to. They're based on numbers. Football matches are not decided by numbers. Sure, numbers might tell you that one team is more likely to win than another. But they're nonsense when it comes to predicting outcomes. Doesn't matter whether they call it a super computer or just a computer.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

mentalcase wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:49 pm I been hearing we poached the chief scout from Liverpool for Thorp Arch !!
Our chief scout id still Iore (since 2017). He's one of Orta's boys. So I'm surprised he's still there. And not surprised if we were looking at a new option.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Clitheroe White wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:14 pm Have they got any German connection, if so could have credence given the Klopp departure / DF background.
David Fallows is Chief Scout since 2014
Barry Hunter is Head of Scouting since 2012

Both are English. No connection to Farke. But find it unlikely that either would be leaving Liverpool given their longevity there. Maybe someone else from their scouting team?

Interesting as I looked that up. Liverpool have 23 scouts. We have 6. I know the obvious, they're in a much bigger place than we are. But that just comes down to a lot of what Phil Hay said about us being poorly staffed for the premier league when we were there.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:54 pm Our chief scout id still Iore (since 2017). He's one of Orta's boys. So I'm surprised he's still there. And not surprised if we were looking at a new option.
Think he was the chief scout for that age group, still a good acquisition.