Rodon & Ampadu/Rodon & Struijk or Other?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Rodon & Ampadu/Rodon & Struijk or Other?

Rodon & Ampadu
54%
Rodon & Struijk
43%
Other
4%

Total votes: 28

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Stats & Polls Rodon & Ampadu/Rodon & Struijk or Other?

Post by 1964white »

Team selection has changed in 2024 & may do so again in our promotion run-in, as injuries or suspensions may have a say!

The CB combination is a major change since 2023.

So, as it says on the tin, what is your favoured combination?
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Rodon & Ampadu/Rodon & Struijk or Other?

Post by Kennyb41 »

Fully fit - Cooper.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

e2a - Cooper, then Amps, then Pascal.

But only till the end of this season.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Rodon & Ampadu by a country mile for me.

One goal conceded in the Championship since the turn of the year.

Five clean sheets in our last six games.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I'm intrigued to know what is the combination voted for as an OTHER combination
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Rodn and Struijk for me, it's been a great partnership with Joe and Amps, but, Pascal is a natural CB , a lot of our moves are started from Ampadu as a deep lying Midfielder, like yesterday from CB , top teams won't allow that luxury like a piss poor rotherham.
Also gives us options for injuries / suspensions which is great.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Rodon and Struijk.

Ampadu and Rodon have done well but has to be context.

Vs teams in an average position of 14th with the 2 games against 9th and 10th at home where we have been solid anyway and all season have done minimal defending because we control the ball.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Johnthewhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Johnthewhite »

Rodon & Struijk would be my favoured defense pairing, however for the biggest part of our remaining games I would suggest sticking as we are because Ampudu gives us more options going forward and with high percentage ball possession they don't have that much defending to do.
If we go up, whole different story, would need to purchase big Joe and another quality CB to have as first choice, don't think we have enough quality otherwise.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

2 defeats - Rodon/Cooper
2 defeats - Rodon/Struijk
1 defeat - Cooper/Struijk
1 defeat - Cresswell/Struijk
None - Rodon/Ampadu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:32 pm Rodn and Struijk for me, it's been a great partnership with Joe and Amps, but, Pascal is a natural CB , a lot of our moves are started from Ampadu as a deep lying Midfielder, like yesterday from CB , top teams won't allow that luxury like a piss poor rotherham.
Also gives us options for injuries / suspensions which is great.
Ampadu has played as a CB for much of his career.

Did you notice Ampadu's excellent long pass down to flank to Rutter, yesterday?

We already have three decent midfielders in Gruev, Kamara & Gray.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:51 pm Rodon and Struijk.

Ampadu and Rodon have done well but has to be context.

Vs teams in an average position of 14th with the 2 games against 9th and 10th at home where we have been solid anyway and all season have done minimal defending because we control the ball.
There's always a mistake in Struijk, Cooper & probably Cresswell.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

Roddon will.shortly be going back to spurs unless we cough up £20million for him. So we soon see the intension of our owners. But frankly been a rock for us and we need him
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:43 pm There's always a mistake in Struijk, Cooper & probably Cresswell.
Absolutely I agree

But until we see Ampadu against a decent side and asked to defend more regularly we have no idea how he'd cope either.

He is don't forget on record for not wanting to play cb, players always know which position is the best for them.

He doesn't see himself as a cb.

Rodon and Struijk have proven themselves more regularly, against teams who properly tested them.
Signed

King Cjay

CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

I would have said Struijk & Rodon but I think Ampadu is a better cover for when Firpo goes walkabout. Going to have a sore a**e from sitting on the fence but I’ll go for Amps & Joe when Firpo is playing & Struijk & Joe when Byram plays. Def want to see Sam play against Leicester & Southampton.
Keeping The Faith
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:03 pm I would have said Struijk & Rodon but I think Ampadu is a better cover for when Firpo goes walkabout. Going to have a sore a**e from sitting on the fence but I’ll go for Amps & Joe when Firpo is playing & Struijk & Joe when Byram plays. Def want to see Sam play against Leicester & Southampton.
Amps would do that anyway, the use of wing backs, (lets not forget there's a huge difference between wing and full backs, they're less defensive pieces to start with and add the fact Farke plays inverted WB's then they're gonna get caught upfield) means Amps drops into a back 3 when they are well forward .....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:03 pm I would have said Struijk & Rodon but I think Ampadu is a better cover for when Firpo goes walkabout. Going to have a sore a**e from sitting on the fence but I’ll go for Amps & Joe when Firpo is playing & Struijk & Joe when Byram plays. Def want to see Sam play against Leicester & Southampton.
Yes Ampadu often covers Firpo anticipating open space, though Junior had another decent game.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:47 pm Absolutely I agree

But until we see Ampadu against a decent side and asked to defend more regularly we have no idea how he'd cope either.

He is don't forget on record for not wanting to play cb, players always know which position is the best for them.

He doesn't see himself as a cb.

Rodon and Struijk have proven themselves more regularly, against teams who properly tested them.
I just think we appear so comfortable with Joe & Ampadu, they complement each other, nice to see a couple of high-fives from the pair yesterday.

Whilst we are keeping clean sheets, I can't see Farke changing the CBs.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:19 pm I just think we appear so comfortable with Joe & Ampadu, they complement each other, nice to see a couple of high-fives from the pair yesterday.

Whilst we are keeping clean sheets, I can't see Farke changing the CBs.
They have done well I don't disagree on that.

Just don't think you can properly judge Ampadu atm as his actual defending has been very limited fortunately.

How would he cope with 6ft5 Keifer Moore backing into him for 90 minutes having to fight for headers.

Or Patson Daka using his pace to make Ampadu run into the channels 1v1.

Vardy and his movement.

He hasn't been asked imo to do much what I'd call proper defending for extended periods, until we see that I don't think all being equal you can pick him over Struijk at cb in my view.

The majority of what he has done he has done well but it's things that suit him, generally reading the game and being on the ball.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:31 pm They have done well I don't disagree on that.

Just don't think you can properly judge Ampadu atm as his actual defending has been very limited fortunately.

How would he cope with 6ft5 Keifer Moore backing into him for 90 minutes having to fight for headers.

Or Patson Daka using his pace to make Ampadu run into the channels 1v1.

Vardy and his movement.

He hasn't been asked imo to do much what I'd call proper defending for extended periods, until we see that I don't think all being equal you can pick him over Struijk at cb in my view.

The majority of what he has done he has done well but it's things that suit him, generally reading the game and being on the ball.
We'll find out against Leicester a week on Friday.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:42 pm Ampadu has played as a CB for much of his career.

Did you notice Ampadu's excellent long pass down to flank to Rutter, yesterday?

We already have three decent midfielders in Gruev, Kamara & Gray.
I did, hence why both Amps and Joe were in my MOM top 6, many of our attacks start with either CB, especially Amps, I know we have plenty cover in midfield but Ampadu will struggle against big teams from set pieces whereas Pascal has the edge.
As long as were are winning, I don't see DF altering too much, but I expect him to alter things against Leicester to shake things up and put them off their homework.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"