Leeds Utd v Rotherham Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds Utd v Rotherham Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Saturday 10th February 3:00pm | Elland Road

They say that the Championship is the most difficult league in the World to get out of, but Leeds opponents on Saturday are making it look easy! Rotherham Utd make the 30 mile dash up the M1 to Elland Road, hoping to inflict the kind of damage only a Yorkshire derby can serve up. Despite the 41 point difference (and 21 places), all the pressure will be on Daniel Farke as his side search for their sixth straight league victory of 2024; not to mention keep their unbeaten home record intact!

Although Archie Gray's midweek cameo role turned into a 50 minute slog, he will return to right-back duties with new signing Connor Roberts making do with a place on the bench. Crysencio Summerville, Georginio Rutter and Ethan Ampadu all start, after being rested in the Cup.

Pascal Struijk is still two or three weeks away from a return to action. The 24 year old is responding well to treatment, and has been training on his own this week, as he overcomes the groin strain he picked up on Boxing Day at Preston. Ampadu has shown he is more than capable at centre-back alongside Joe Rodon meaning Liam Cooper drops to the bench. Patrick Bamford has been preferred to Joel Piroe to spearhead the team. Ilia Gruev will continue to partner Glen Kamara in midfield, with Wilfred Gnonto continuing to deputise for the injured Dan James.

With three goals, and two assists in January, the Welsh speedster has been nominated for Sky Bet Championship player of the month but could have a fight on his hands getting back into the side if Wilfred Gnonto's continues to impress in his absence. The Italian International has netted in his last two games, and starting to regain his form.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Rotherham Utd Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

First possible game for Conner Roberts... That's an interesting selection dilemma

Meslier
Roberts
Firpo
Gruev
Rodon
Ampadu
Gnonto
Gray
Bamford
Georginio
Summerville

Rotherham is a good game to introduce Conner, that leaves 3 into 2 places in central midfield. Gray v Kamara seems to be the battle there and it may also be a good game to give Kamara a rest.. I'm going Gray to partner Gruev who's been the standout player recently

Byram/Firpo battle too
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Haven't heard anything about Dan James being ruled out

Farke spoke about him a week ago and hoped to have him back for Rotherham
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Meslier
Gray (bring Roberts on from bench)
Byram (Firpo played 120 mid week)
Rodon
Ampadu
Gruev
Kamara
Gnonto (if James is fit, bring him back from bench for 20-30)
Summerville
Rutter
Bamford
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/leeds-united

Apparently Elland Road atmosphere isn’t what it should be. Any thoughts from regular attendees
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Charlie Allen 1-0 !!!
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:25 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/leeds-united

Apparently Elland Road atmosphere isn’t what it should be. Any thoughts from regular attendees
Said it previously JD, it ain’t what it used to be.

Not by a long way.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:31 pm Said it previously JD, it ain’t what it used to be.

Not by a long way.
I wonder why?

Lunchtime kick-offs don't help.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:31 pm Said it previously JD, it ain’t what it used to be.

Not by a long way.
I’ve heard many things being described as “not the same since Covid”. Is it actually a thing? And why?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:16 pm Haven't heard anything about Dan James being ruled out

Farke spoke about him a week ago and hoped to have him back for Rotherham
James is not in the squad, Andrew.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:40 pm I’ve heard many things being described as “not the same since Covid”. Is it actually a thing? And why?
The ER atmosphere is still better than the majority of clubs, the Premier League is awful.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:40 pm I’ve heard many things being described as “not the same since Covid”. Is it actually a thing? And why?
Don’t know about Covid, I went to the WBA game when a few of us were allowed in and the atmosphere was brilliant. A bit surreal, and we were losing Hernandez and Berardi that day, but it was good.

As Leon says, the constant change of KO times don’t help, fans need to oil their gills and all that. I do think though, a bit like perhaps a Man City or something, home games are pretty straightforward this season and we turn up expecting an exhibition. Sometimes it doesn’t go that way and WACCOE starts to go round but, otherwise, I agree the atmosphere has been a little poor.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:43 pm James is not in the squad, Andrew.
Yeah. I posted that question before the press conference. Heard Farke confirm it.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:47 pm Don’t know about Covid, I went to the WBA game when a few of us were allowed in and the atmosphere was brilliant. A bit surreal, and we were losing Hernandez and Berardi that day, but it was good.

As Leon says, the constant change of KO times don’t help, fans need to oil their gills and all that. I do think though, a bit like perhaps a Man City or something, home games are pretty straightforward this season and we turn up expecting an exhibition. Sometimes it doesn’t go that way and WACCOE starts to go round but, otherwise, I agree the atmosphere has been a little poor.
Remember that. About 8000 crowd? Strange day.

How much success before people come to games expecting. Demanding. Must be like that at Man City.
I wonder if it’s a general thing across all sport.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:47 pm Don’t know about Covid, I went to the WBA game when a few of us were allowed in and the atmosphere was brilliant. A bit surreal, and we were losing Hernandez and Berardi that day, but it was good.

I was one of the lucky few at the West Brom game. :-D

A sad day too.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

You’ll recognise a few here Leon…
73748b5b-cb60-45f5-84c6-64dae3ecd67e.jpeg
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:13 pm You’ll recognise a few here Leon…

73748b5b-cb60-45f5-84c6-64dae3ecd67e.jpeg
Oh yes, Dave in the background.

Strange times, with the majority of us wearing masks.

I still wear my Leeds masks when needed.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Source: https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1756093 ... eds-united
In Farke we trust...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I blame the government
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Our atmosphere is still better than any in the English leagues ,that includes the Anfield snore which only happens every blue flood.
It's normally away support that we sing all game like many other teams.
A lot of championship clubs struggle to fill their allocation at leeds.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"