Leeds United v Plymouth Argyle Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds United v Plymouth Argyle Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:54 pm Got back about ten mins ago. Probably the worst result we could've asked for haha, a long midweek trip with little recovery for the Saturday game, and another fixture to add to the list.

We should've won it at HT with the chances we had. We looked sluggish from the kick off of the second half, not sure if it was a tactical change, or tiredness, but you could sense an equaliser was coming. Once again, Farke took too long to make subs, and then just threw on attackers at the end. We got away with it v Norwich, but the lack of rotation and subs are costing us atm.

Georgi was trying to do too much, but he looked our most creative player, but was constantly offside. It looked like he was up front again today, why? Gnonto was dreadful and didn't look arsed, Poveda offered more in his 15 mins.

Was great to see Cresswell on the bench, hopefully it means he's staying. Would've liked to see Rodon rested today in favour of Cresswell.

Still enjoyed the day 😁
Glad you enjoyed the live match experience :tup:
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BradWhite »

I too loved the FA Cup back in the day, when it was on TV all day, interviews with the players on the coaches as they travelled to Wembley and a big build up to the game itself, but at the end of the day it was always elitist, good for small clubs that make a little bit of money from it but have zero chance of ever winning it. The odd upset is always on the cards and we've had a few of those haven't we.

Maybe they should even it out a bit and have all the big guns playing each other first and the smaller clubs drop into the latter stages.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

JoeDenver wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:46 pm THIS. Poveda is too diminutive for this league, IMHO. Aside from a couple initial sparks when he came on, he just looked to get shoved off the ball continuously. And Shacks is a jack of all trades, master of none. Another true fullback gives us better cover there.

Joseph needs loaned out to a League 1 side as I don’t see him getting into a Championship side. All he does is foul players when he comes on. Joffy isn’t good enough to contribute and should probably go back on loan/be sold off.

Anthony shows flashes, but only on the left and is surplus to requirements there given our having Gnonto. Perhaps a straight swap for Brooks for Anthony with Bournemouth?

Tactically, I felt Shacks was wasted out on the right and pushed too far up throughout the match. We were lucky we only got exposed for the goal once as there were other moments he left exposed. Given Farke’s preference for having his right backs holding slightly back relative to the left back role and the tendency for Shacks to push forward , Shacks should’ve been in the left back role. That would’ve permitted the consistency of his system.

Also felt Kamara should’ve been in for Ampadu as Gruev and Amps are too similar of players.

And Piroe is a conundrum. Lost the ball constantly and was anonymous away from the ball. I just don’t see how he fits the system. He’s neither a 9 nor a 10.

And you’re right about the how injury prone Firpo, Byram, and Bamford are…would make a case for another 2 positions of need…especially if we’re able to loan out Joffy and Joseph.

Just a crap result as a won or loss would’ve been more desirable.
Take a look at Brooks highlights from the other night, he's trying to make a case of him being a starter for Bournemouth coz he thinks he's good enough.

Then go take a look at Gnonto.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:45 pm Complacency wasn't the problem for me today. As I mentioned earlier when it is so easy in the match, as it was in the first half, as a player you sort of slip into comfort mode. When the opposition suddenly make a match of it it can be very hard for you to get back to the level you should be at. That looked like the case today where we strolled through the first half and should have put the game to bed.

Sort of reminded me of many Bielsa matches where we'd dominate for 70 minutes on cruise control, have pummelled the oppositon 20 shots to 0 but only be 1-0 up. Suddenly the opposition give it a go, they reaise themselves for the last 20 minutes and we'd struggle because we'd been playing for the last 30 or 40 minutes in 2nd gear. Plymouth got their second wind because they were still int he game and at 1-0 there will likely always be a chance or two for the opposition as the match wears on.
I think it was more of a match sharp problem yesterday, as some went leggy especially Gnonto Anthony and Piroe

Piroe worried me as i'm not quite sure now how he's gonna fit into a working hard team, he's too lackadaisical.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

JoeDenver wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:46 pm THIS. Poveda is too diminutive for this league, IMHO. Aside from a couple initial sparks when he came on, he just looked to get shoved off the ball continuously. And Shacks is a jack of all trades, master of none. Another true fullback gives us better cover there.

Joseph needs loaned out to a League 1 side as I don’t see him getting into a Championship side. All he does is foul players when he comes on. Joffy isn’t good enough to contribute and should probably go back on loan/be sold off.

Anthony shows flashes, but only on the left and is surplus to requirements there given our having Gnonto. Perhaps a straight swap for Brooks for Anthony with Bournemouth?

Tactically, I felt Shacks was wasted out on the right and pushed too far up throughout the match. We were lucky we only got exposed for the goal once as there were other moments he left exposed. Given Farke’s preference for having his right backs holding slightly back relative to the left back role and the tendency for Shacks to push forward , Shacks should’ve been in the left back role. That would’ve permitted the consistency of his system.

Also felt Kamara should’ve been in for Ampadu as Gruev and Amps are too similar of players.

And Piroe is a conundrum. Lost the ball constantly and was anonymous away from the ball. I just don’t see how he fits the system. He’s neither a 9 nor a 10.

And you’re right about the how injury prone Firpo, Byram, and Bamford are…would make a case for another 2 positions of need…especially if we’re able to loan out Joffy and Joseph.

Just a crap result as a won or loss would’ve been more desirable.
A lot of good points ^

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

DDB220 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:33 pm I don’t understand the comments that when a player comes in his impact must be instantaneous. Last week it was Anthony, I haven’t seen the game but he scored a cracking goal. Now Shacks nor Poveda are any good. So many knee jerk reactions to a players first game in a while and yet there is continuous criticism about the lack of rotation. I am truly at a loss as to what would satisfy some contributors.
:tup:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:00 pm And our defence opened like the Red Sea leaving Rodon & Coops stranded for their equaliser.

It also occurred against Norwich with Archie Gray saving Anthony's blushes, today we had no full-backs or wingers tracking back, and Plymouth capitalised on our defensive frailties.

We miss the defensive work of James & Summerville when our full-backs are caught up field.

As I mentioned many times, there are holes in our team beyond our first XI, because we haven't got the replacements who can replicate the quality of our best players. I suspect those problems shall be resolved in the summer in readiness for next season.
Yes we do, and yes there is.

If we expect the players that come in to do just as good a job as the first teamer, well, good on him.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:12 pm After last season's shambles, I'm sure we are all happy, now we have a structure/system in place, thanks to Daniel Farke.
:tup:

Yes we do have some structure and a system in place now, just don't expect the 2nd structure to be as good as the first.

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:48 am Welcome to Farke's world :) :)
Nope, welcome to MOT's view of Farke's world
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:59 am So, any criticism/negativity mustn't be mentioned on a football forum :roll:

Let's just say everybody played well & we put in a great performance against Plymouth.

Then everybody agrees

End result, no debate!
I think I get his point though 64. Fans want Farke to rotate, but when he does the same fans moan about the players he brings in. I think perhaps the problem lies with the lack of quality we have to be able to rotate successfully.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Will people stop saying we lack quality, it's clearly not true. We have one of, if not the strongest, squad in the league. Don't mistake a lack of form, playing time or not in the players best position as lack of quality...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:22 am Glad you enjoyed the live match experience :tup:
Thanks Leon, was good to be back at Church. :love: Seemed the crowd was full of fans who don't get lucky in the ballots, as there were huge queues outside the club shop.
Last edited by SG90 on Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:26 am I think I get his point though 64. Fans want Farke to rotate, but when he does the same fans moan about the players he brings in. I think perhaps the problem lies with the lack of quality we have to be able to rotate successfully.
It's not that, for me Gnonto looks well short of match sharpness. This is due to him never getting a proper run in the team. He usually gets subbed on after 85 mins. Joseph another one who seems pointless bringing in in the 89th minute. Either give him a start in the cup, or loan him out.

I've said for ages, and I stand by it, that Rodon and Ampadu need a rest, as they play every minute of every game for Wales as well. Now that CC is back in favour, Rodon MUST be rested for the replay.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:17 pm It's not that, for me Gnonto looks well short of match sharpness. This is due to him never getting a proper run in the team. He usually gets subbed on after 85 mins. Joseph another one who seems pointless bringing in in the 89th minute. Either give him a start in the cup, or loan him out.

I've said for ages, and I stand by it, that Rodon and Ampadu need a rest, as they play every minute of every game for Wales as well. Now that CC is back in favour, Rodon MUST be rested for the replay.
Farke makes subs so late that players barely get a chance to get into there stride.

He also doesn't let them play any u21 football so they are totally not prepared at all.

It's noticeable Bamford and Firpo have only started to find form after being given starts.

Players need time.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Couple of posts there coming round to my pov that I've been putting forward for many years now.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:33 pm Farke makes subs so late that players barely get a chance to get into there stride.

He also doesn't let them play any u21 football so they are totally not prepared at all.

It's noticeable Bamford and Firpo have only started to find form after being given starts.

Players need time.
When Plymouth were in the ascendancy yesterday, and it was obvious they'd score, Farke was just stood there folding his arms clueless as what to do to nullify the threat. And I get abuse for not rating him haha.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:15 pm Thanks Leon, was good to be back at Church. :love: Seemed the crowd was full of fans who don't get lucky in the ballots, as there were huge queues outside the club shop.
Cup games are always the same mate, queues in the shop, at the turnstiles & many fans don't know where their seat is, so queues develop on the staircases as they are having to ask the stewards.

I missed the game as I was unwell.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:40 pm When Plymouth were in the ascendancy yesterday, and it was obvious they'd score, Farke was just stood there folding his arms clueless as what to do to nullify the threat. And I get abuse for not rating him haha.
Not by I mate.

He has absolutely no idea how to impact a game from the bench, we cruise.

Slow the game down pass pass pass.

If it works fine, if it doesn't he doesn't know how to react hence why he makes subs so late, a yolo

We've seen those Plymouth 2nd half's a number of times this season, isn't a coincidence.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:41 pm Cup games are always the same mate, queues in the shop, at the turnstiles & many fans don't know where their seat is, so queues develop on the staircases as they are having to ask the stewards.

I missed the game as I was unwell.
Sorry to hear you were unwell, hope you're feeling better. It was a good atmosphere yesterday, despite being a cup game. It felt like a league game. Plymouth fans were in good voice too. At least they sang about their team, rather than the same boring anti Leeds chants every other team does.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:26 am I think I get his point though 64. Fans want Farke to rotate, but when he does the same fans moan about the players he brings in. I think perhaps the problem lies with the lack of quality we have to be able to rotate successfully.
Nail on the head, Swannie :tup:

Farke doesn't trust some of the squad for our championship matches, especially after what happened at Stoke.

Look at Gnonto & Piroe yesterday, they should be tearing the championship up, sadly they ain't, which creates more problems for Farke.