Leeds Utd v Ipswich Town Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Ipswich Town Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Whoscored.com TEAM OF THE WEEK :roll:

Can anyone take this lot seriously?

Screenshot 2023-12-25 10.33.56.png
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:09 am We moved the ball much quicker against Ipswich & we need to do the same against teams using the low block against us, by lobbing over the top if need be, rather than dwelling on the ball.
Almost impossible unless we first invite them onto us.. 11 behind the ball will compress the space Ipswich (rightly imo) allowed us. Low block is designed to clog up the pitch, the way round it is to go round it.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kieran McKenna
"I didn't think the disparity between the teams was that great in the first-half, I thought we started the game well, disappointed to have conceded on the first set-play to defend, I felt there was a stonewall foul on Conor Chaplin in the build up to that but we should have defended the corner better"

Apart from :
Leeds three goals
No shots on target.
No corners.
Few touches in our box.
Wes Lee Street
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Wes Lee Street »

I enjoyed last nights debate between youtuber Just Joe, and his 5 guests. It got feisty when there was disagreement about apportioning blame (for our 3rd position) to either of "August" or "Failure to defeat s**t teams".

Discussing August is now pointless IMO. The way to beat poor or average teams, from now onwards, is to send the team out feeling 8 or 9 on a scale of 1 to 10 ( self belief +aggression).

A scale in which 1 is "Meh". And 10 delivers the sending off of 3 Leeds players within the first 10 minutes.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

1964white wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:37 am Whoscored.com TEAM OF THE WEEK :roll:

In a word, no.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:09 am We moved the ball much quicker against Ipswich & we need to do the same against teams using the low block against us, by lobbing over the top if need be, rather than dwelling on the ball.
Those long balls to James were a noticeable change. But there won't be many teams we can do that too. Ipswich were attacking and committed players to the high press. That left a lot of space for James to run into. But other teams will sit men back and not leave spaces open. That's where we really struggle. In such cases, I think we'd be better with Gnonto starting as he's much more likely to make something happen in tight spaces.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:37 am Whoscored.com TEAM OF THE WEEK :roll:

That doesn't look like a very good team
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:41 pm Those long balls to James were a noticeable change. But there won't be many teams we can do that too. Ipswich were attacking and committed players to the high press. That left a lot of space for James to run into. But other teams will sit men back and not leave spaces open. That's where we really struggle. In such cases, I think we'd be better with Gnonto starting as he's much more likely to make something happen in tight spaces.
I've been arguing that we should go long occasionally against pressing teams in order to weaken confidence in their game plan and so ease the pressure.

It won't work against a low block but doesn't need to, play out from the back till they engage, more likelihood of ball retention.

The key then is for a CAM to pick the right pass for attackers playing off him, think Saiz/Pablo. We don't have one to speak of - Chair. Diallo, come on down.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Wes Lee Street wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:20 pm I enjoyed last nights debate between youtuber Just Joe, and his 5 guests. It got feisty when there was disagreement about apportioning blame (for our 3rd position) to either of "August" or "Failure to defeat s**t teams".

Discussing August is now pointless IMO. The way to beat poor or average teams, from now onwards, is to send the team out feeling 8 or 9 on a scale of 1 to 10 ( self belief +aggression).

A scale in which 1 is "Meh". And 10 delivers the sending off of 3 Leeds players within the first 10 minutes.
It was entertaining Wes :tup:
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

1964white wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:14 pm Kieran McKenna
"I didn't think the disparity between the teams was that great in the first-half, I thought we started the game well, disappointed to have conceded on the first set-play to defend, I felt there was a stonewall foul on Conor Chaplin in the build up to that but we should have defended the corner better"

Apart from :
Leeds three goals
No shots on target.
No corners.
Few touches in our box.
McKenna should have spent more time properly watching what was going on in the match rather than being completely preoccupied with spitting on every blade of grass on the touchline.

WHY FFS. What a disgusting habit :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

PhoenixUnited wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:32 am McKenna should have spent more time properly watching what was going on in the match rather than being completely preoccupied with spitting on every blade of grass on the touchline.

WHY FFS. What a disgusting habit :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:
Anyone remember Spit the Dog?
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

tempFileForShare_20231226-105056.jpg
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Carrick Dave wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:15 am I've been arguing that we should go long occasionally against pressing teams in order to weaken confidence in their game plan and so ease the pressure.

It won't work against a low block but doesn't need to, play out from the back till they engage, more likelihood of ball retention.

The key then is for a CAM to pick the right pass for attackers playing off him, think Saiz/Pablo. We don't have one to speak of - Chair. Diallo, come on down.
I think the log ball down the middle is the way to go. If he tries to get it out to James on the wing, he is too short to control it and the ball goes out of play.

When it goes down the middle the most important thing is to win the second ball be it from a defender on a team mate.

That way you have beat the high press and are 50 yards further up the pitch.

I will be watching how many long ball GK spider boy takes.
hector

Post by hector »

PhoenixUnited wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:33 am Anyone remember Spit the Dog?
From the best ever saturday morning TV show
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

PhoenixUnited wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:33 am Anyone remember Spit the Dog?
Scared me that bloody thing.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Barlow Boy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:11 am Scared me that bloody thing.
I thought Bob was the scary one, who else would put a hand up a dogs arse !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

hector wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:10 am From the best ever saturday morning TV show
Sally James. Fishnet stockings. In my teens at the time. Memorable programme :)
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:22 am I thought Bob was the scary one, who else would put a hand up a dogs arse !!
You’d be surprised mate 😁
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Unchanged team, again.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Last edited by The Subhuman on Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"