Leeds Utd v Ipswich Town Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Ipswich Town Match Thread

Post by JoeDenver »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:36 pm It was v v evident today that DF had had Spence in for a sit down going over his last game freezeframe by freezeframe.

I was a bit bothered about him and was presuming it was coz he was on the left, but a bit of tweaking here and theer done him good, be great if we get him going on the right and Byram left, give Gray a rest.

Bloody hell Kamara was good today.
He really was. Very underrated performance from him. Curious how Leon rates him following his review…
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

JoeDenver wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:51 pm He really was. Very underrated performance from him. Curious how Leon rates him following his review…
An unusual relaxing Sunday morning for me, today Joe :-D I'm looking forward to watching a replay & reviewing the match after breakfast.

An afternoon with ten of my pals having an indoor bowls knockabout, one Leeds fan who travels with me on the coach to ER & three Hull City fans there, so that should be fun. :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:38 pm Not one bad player Sid, no shirkers, it was a complete performance and the luck was also with us on a number of occasions, ball fell kindly for us a lot keeping play flowing, twas a delight for the manager that, watch Kamara also, very intelligent movement and positioning, i got my 4-1-4-1 a lot today with Kamara.

DJ still has the edge over Willy for me for his all round performance game, jeez if he knew what to do with the ball more and could pick a pass like Bert would've taught him, he'll make a cracker, i'm hoping DF can continue working on him.
DF's influence showed with a few today, i'd just love to be privy to some of his sessions with em, indoor training and out.

Nobody should be left wondering now about all this Piroe/Rutter business, they're all over the shop, dropping deep to pick the ball up and popping up in the 6yd box and area to be able to hit the bar, Rutter explained it best at the end "I'm not bothered who scores as long as the ball finds the net"

He's building 'team' Sid enjoy !
We've had more fun in five months under Farke, than the previous two seasons when the three clowns were running our club.

What I love about this Leeds team, the cream always rises to the top after we've endured a blip, Kenny boy.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

1964white wrote: Not that many times.

Ipswich were pressing high in numbers, with Meslier having no other option than to kick the ball long.

We scored our 2nd & 3rd goals by playing out from the back.
Meslier distribution is not the best from his goal kicks, but when he does use this tactic I find that my level of anxiety diminishes.

If given the choice of a GK with poor distribution, or Meslier standing with his foot on the ball outside his 18 yard box waiting to be robbed or making a bad pass, which he has done that results in a goal, then I choose the former option, since it is less risky.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

Completely missed this game until arriving home from work at 9pm to watch the full game on the fire stick.

Ooh! Ooh! Mr Peevly! Leeds were magnificent and closing in on that second place. If they continue shredding opposition defences on their way to second place and then the top tier, would that then give DF legendary status at ER?

With Rutter dropping deep to win the ball, his strength balance and vision to then release the forwards we have a very special player at ER and one that won't go unnoticed by the PL. Hands off Man Titty, you can't afford him. 😂
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:53 am We've had more fun in five months under Farke, than the previous two seasons when the three clowns were running our club.

What I love about this Leeds team, the cream always rises to the top after we've endured a blip, Kenny boy.
And yesterdays game Sid after your replay, you watched it again yet, admittedly Ipswich played into our hands, but it's up there with the Leicester win yes ?

Still a long way to go yet, but he's trying his best to get there, this window could prove vital to our promotion prospects, if they can find 2 or 3 players that are good enough to fit our style and fit in quite quickly, it might just be the final pieces to make us clearly the best team in this league, as we stand we're winging it a little with injuries, especially to some key players, you could easily say this present 11 are all key, some are more easy to replace than others without affecting performance too much, Rodon is a prime example of one that's hard to replace without it affecting us, if you throw in Kamara and Rutter, we'll most definitely weaken. We all know injuries (especially LUFC) could be just around the corner.

We could actually manage with this squad now to the end of the season, but that really would require a clean bill of health right thru to May.

Let's all hope they're on it as we speak. I have faith in PB replacing either of Piroe/Rutter for a game or two/three even, i have faith in Gnonto doing the same for James/Jimmy, also LC for PS. We have just about adequate cover all over, but if that happens to become 4 or 5 players, and that means 4 or 5 players immediately having to hit the ground running/fitting in/hitting it off together striking up partnerships, then we're in the lap of the Gods.

If they can manage to find the right quality, it could mean the difference of gaining promotion or not, fingers crossed yet again Sidney me old chap :tup:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:18 am Meslier distribution is not the best from his goal kicks, but when he does use this tactic I find that my level of anxiety diminishes.

If given the choice of a GK with poor distribution, or Meslier standing with his foot on the ball outside his 18 yard box waiting to be robbed or making a bad pass, which he has done that results in a goal, then I choose the former option, since it is less risky.

I know where you're coming from Sean, but in his defence, he's pretty cool, if you watch all these keepers in the Prem atm - Allison,Ederson etc, they're all prone to fcking up, even around the Championship there's a helluva lot slipping/mishaps and kicking it into touch.

He's doin alreet at present, i actually feel he's got good presence of mind abart him our Mes to choose when to hoof it/get rid (cue the total fck up next game)...he's definitely due a fck up, but i certainly won't be coming down on him like a ton of bricks.

Lad's doing alreet, and we could definitely have a lot worse between the sticks, these decent keepers with adequate feet are hard to find.

At least he seems to have a left and a right one :tup:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

I am not knocking the boy, he has recently made some wonder saves to keep us in the games.

It was just noticeable to me that he was taking goal kicks, and I would like to think it was a new tactic from DF when every man and his dog are following Pep and his playing out from the back.

I wonder is there are any stats on the ratio of GK's to passing out from the back.

Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

was the win expected?
IMG_20231224_121112.jpg

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:03 am I am not knocking the boy, he has recently made some wonder saves to keep us in the games.

It was just noticeable to me that he was taking goal kicks, and I would like to think it was a new tactic from DF when every man and his dog are following Pep and his playing out from the back.

I wonder is there are any stats on the ratio of GK's to passing out from the back.

Likely more of a one off due to Ipswich's high press. After going a goal up I think the risk v reward strategy changes slightly too.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:34 am And yesterdays game Sid after your replay, you watched it again yet, admittedly Ipswich played into our hands, but it's up there with the Leicester win yes ?

Still a long way to go yet, but he's trying his best to get there, this window could prove vital to our promotion prospects, if they can find 2 or 3 players that are good enough to fit our style and fit in quite quickly, it might just be the final pieces to make us clearly the best team in this league, as we stand we're winging it a little with injuries, especially to some key players, you could easily say this present 11 are all key, some are more easy to replace than others without affecting performance too much, Rodon is a prime example of one that's hard to replace without it affecting us, if you throw in Kamara and Rutter, we'll most definitely weaken. We all know injuries (especially LUFC) could be just around the corner.

We could actually manage with this squad now to the end of the season, but that really would require a clean bill of health right thru to May.

Let's all hope they're on it as we speak. I have faith in PB replacing either of Piroe/Rutter for a game or two/three even, i have faith in Gnonto doing the same for James/Jimmy, also LC for PS. We have just about adequate cover all over, but if that happens to become 4 or 5 players, and that means 4 or 5 players immediately having to hit the ground running/fitting in/hitting it off together striking up partnerships, then we're in the lap of the Gods.

If they can manage to find the right quality, it could mean the difference of gaining promotion or not, fingers crossed yet again Sidney me old chap :tup:
Nowhere near as good as the Leicester away win.
That was the most complete performance of the season by a distance.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Fantastic team performance :clap:

We had 9 shots & 4 on target. Ipswich 2 shots & none on target.

Without watching the match for a third time, I'd be interested to know, how many touches did Ipswich have in our box?

Broadbent's horrible tackle on Gray was surely merited a red card, other questionable challenges from behind on Summerville (three times) & Rutter probably deserved more than just a yellow card.

Great applause from the Leeds fans for Leif Davis as he left the pitch an extremely disappointed man.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:38 am Fantastic team performance :clap:

Without watching the match for a third time, I'd be interested to know, how many touches did Ipswich have in our box?

Broadbent's horrible tackle on Gray was surely merited a red card, other questionable challenges from behind on Summerville (three times) & Rutter probably deserved more than just a yellow card.

Great applause from the Leeds fans for Leif Davis as he left the pitch an extremely disappointed man.
That's good to know.

Well i don't know abart anyone else, but as football games go for a ref, i think he did well, and i wouldn't mind him every week, he seemed v fair.

Grays wasn't a red Sid, thas getting weak in tha howd age geezer.

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Decent & poor actions from our players

28-2 Rutter
27-2 Rodon
25-2 Ampadu
22-3 Summerville
21-2 Spence
19-3 Gray
18-0 Struijk
17-4 James
14-2 Kamara
12-2 Piroe
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Leicester and Ipswich have lost 6 games between them, we are responsible for 50% of those.

We comfortably dominated each of them in 1 game each.

At our best imo we are the best team.

The issue has always been that we have more off days than them and when they have one they tend to get the win hence us having more draws combined than they do.

Consistency is our problem.

It's something that needs to improve.

Hopefully Ipswich can be the catalyst, we need to string together 7,8 wins.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:38 am Fantastic team performance :clap:

At the start of the second half, our commentator mentioned that Ipswich averaged 12 touches per half in the box. And that they'd only registered 3 in that first half. I don't think the second half got any better for them.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:23 pm Leicester and Ipswich have lost 6 games between them, we are responsible for 50% of those.

We comfortably dominated each of them in 1 game each.

At our best imo we are the best team.

The issue has always been that we have more off days than them and when they have one they tend to get the win hence us having more draws combined than they do.

Consistency is our problem.

It's something that needs to improve.

Hopefully Ipswich can be the catalyst, we need to string together 7,8 wins.
Couldn't agree more. Said after the Leicester game that we're clearly the best team in this division. But we have to figure out how to get results on those bad days.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:30 pm Couldn't agree more. Said after the Leicester game that we're clearly the best team in this division. But we have to figure out how to get results on those bad days.
Often the key is set plays. This is an area we have been generally poor at. Delivery is key - you only have to think about all the players that have had a try out for set piece taking. Summerville appears to be the go to option currently, but even he isn’t what I would consider consistent, but he can produce a quality ball with pace and it is the pace that makes any directed header on goal hard to keep out.

If we dominate against a low block there will be plenty of dead ball situations, we find a way to profit in these situations and we will find more result based consistency.

As much as I love Kamara in the centre with Ampadu I also think we need a midfielder with an eye for goal to add more threat when we dominate possession. As we have seen teams can crowd out our threat on the flanks and that creates space in the middle. We need to find a way to exploit this.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

This is good.

A popular Tractor boy talking to Leeds fans prior to the game, (a few negative ones too!)

My old away games pal Barry, always wearing his shorts all year round. I chatted to him on Saturday, should have got a photo!

Great shots of the South Stand going mental

:clapp: :scar1 :shirtw:

1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:30 pm Couldn't agree more. Said after the Leicester game that we're clearly the best team in this division. But we have to figure out how to get results on those bad days.
We moved the ball much quicker against Ipswich & we need to do the same against teams using the low block against us, by lobbing over the top if need be, rather than dwelling on the ball.