Leeds Utd v Ipswich Town Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Ipswich Town Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:59 pm Somebody missing on here today, must have lost the faith altogether. 8-)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Great performance today. Thought we could've tried to score more when we passed the ball around for 20 mins. Great to get a clean sheet, but they didn't have a shot on target, Chaplin would've scored had it been. Meslier still makes me nervous when we pass out from the back, and his kicking was dreadful today. But thankfully didn't cost us. Important we win at Preston now to back this up, especially with Southampton right on our tails.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:50 pm It pissed me right off that did, and it's feckin totally out of order.

And more to the point, why the fck did Jimmy run straight to Gnonto, i'm smelling a feckin rat with that Gnonto myself.

That flies in the feckin face of the manager that does.

Piroe looked like he was 100% down to take that penalty and it fckin stinks if Jimmy decided to take it upon himself, it was a crackin penalty, but that's not the point.

I hope to fck that Gnonto and Jimmy hadn't preplanned that, i know they've run to each other before, but there seemed to be something different in that run to get to each other this time.

Either way, if Piroe was on penalty duty, that stinks, no player has the right to demand the ball like that.
Farke stated after Bamford missed the penalty against Stoke that Piroe was now the penalty taker so he should have taken it today despite the fact that it was an excellent penalty.
You don't want disharmony in the squad but Struijk should have stepped in and insisted Piroe take it.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:05 pm Yes there was one obvious change in tactics... spider boy was no longer faffing about playing tippy- tap with the centre backs, more often than not he was waving the team forward and booting the ball done the pitch.

I feel that playing it out from the back is a mistake waiting to happen, so it was a great relief to see the ball soar down the park and out of our 18 yard box.
Not that many times.

Ipswich were pressing high in numbers, with Meslier having no other option than to kick the ball long.

We scored our 2nd & 3rd goals by playing out from the back.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:05 pm Never got close.
Because we took our foot off the pedal, he played well though. Looks the part
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:08 pm Really enjoyed it.

Don’t know about you, but I thought the atmosphere was the best we’ve had for some time. Obviously, the performance and score helped, but that was something else.

Oh, and good to see you again pal 😁
Excellent atmosphere as we'd expect, especially in the second-half, was electric Kev.

Good to see at half-time, and thank you for your lovely card.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:59 pm Superb. He looked disappointed to be subbed
Need to be careful with him after his serious long term injury.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

SG90 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:45 pm Great performance today. Thought we could've tried to score more when we passed the ball around for 20 mins. Great to get a clean sheet, but they didn't have a shot on target, Chaplin would've scored had it been. Meslier still makes me nervous when we pass out from the back, and his kicking was dreadful today. But thankfully didn't cost us. Important we win at Preston now to back this up, especially with Southampton right on our tails.
:roll:

We play Preston away on the 26th :duno:

There's always summert huh.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:21 pm I was really surprised and delighted that Ipswich came out to play today Leon. No coincidence for me that we scored four goals.

If they'd followed the blueprint we'd have had a much tougher afternoon. They've gone toe to toe with us twice and got burned for eight goals.

I'm sure that plenty will have taken note of this.

I never thought McKenna would change Ipswich style of play as the way they won League One promotion & achieved 2nd spot in the championship is by going at the opposition.

Perhaps he thought the likes of Chaplin, Broadbent, Burns, Hirst & Davis are better than Ampadu, Rutter, Summerville, Piroe & Gray.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:25 pm In honesty, we kind of did the same at their place. We were 4-1 up.
Yes Andrew, we allowed the tractor boys back in the game down there, rarely look likely today.

That was as solid as our performance at Leicester.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:08 pm Yes Andrew, we allowed the tractor boys back in the game down there, rarely look likely today.

That was as solid as our performance at Leicester.
Watch how our defence are right up in their half, pinning them in there Sid on your replay.

Let's hope he does it v Nobenders, and from the off.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:17 pm Because we took our foot off the pedal, he played well though. Looks the part
True, our attacking prowess came to an end, once all our five subs were on, we retained the ball well with lots of possession football which kept Ipswich at bay.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:19 pm Meslier didn't have a shot to save, although he was stretched for the one that hit the post.
If it had been on target I think Messlier gets his fingertips to it, certainly if it was a few inches inside the post.
Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:36 pm It was v v evident today that DF had had Spence in for a sit down going over his last game freezeframe by freezeframe.
Probably also a lot to do with him shaking the rust off a bit more now and getting up to speed. For me in his first couple of matches he was getting forward but not back which suggested match fitness wasn't anywhere near 100%. You tend to give it your all going forward and then don't quite have the energy to get back.
andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:37 pm Did anyone think there was an issue between Piroe and Summerville over the penalty?

Farke had said previously that Piroe was our penalty taker. He was standing right behind Summerville as he put the ball on the spot. Looked to me like there was a discussion over who would take it.
Yeah was looking at Piroe's celebration when Summerville scored and he was more subdued than the other players. As long as whoever takes it scores then there shouldn't be a problem. If it was a case that Summerville took it on himself to take it then full marks to Piroe for not making a scene and increasing the pressure on Summerville.
Cjay wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:50 pm Probably similar to Wilder at Blades, he had a team of by and large fairly average players that played a certain unique way and plenty of success.

Eventually though as you say unless you park the bus better players will take advantage of you.

Today I'm surprised McKenna didn't take the same route Coventry and others have vs us, plenty of poorer teams than Ipswich have completely flummoxed us by marking our front 4 out of the game and playing on the counter.

Mckenna was loyal to his system and paid the price.

On the other hand Farke did the more counter system we've seen before and had mixed results with but today it worked perfectly.

McKenna played into our hands and Farke did well tactically today.
Yeah agree wtih you re Wilder. Element of surprise in the first season but then the poor recruitment meant they couldn't survive the second season.

I think people underestimate how easy it is to change tactics completely without upsetting the rhythm of the team. Could change the tactics and get a good result but then the team gets a bit out of synch and they lose the next couple. Also it can affect the morale of the players if they think the manager doesn't have the confidence in them to play their matural way.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:45 pm Great performance today. Thought we could've tried to score more when we passed the ball around for 20 mins. Great to get a clean sheet, but they didn't have a shot on target, Chaplin would've scored had it been. Meslier still makes me nervous when we pass out from the back, and his kicking was dreadful today. But thankfully didn't cost us. Important we win at Preston now to back this up, especially with Southampton right on our tails.
Think it was sensible myself and it lessened them being able to hit us on the counter. We saved a lot of energy by simply stroking the ball around and it seemed to demoralise Ipswich. Would have loved to have got a couple more goals though!!!!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:13 pm Watch how our defence are right up in their half, pinning them in there Sid on your replay.

Let's hope he does it v Nobenders, and from the off.
I witnessed it all today, Kenny boy. I'll be watching a replay of aspects of the game I may have missed tomorrow morning. :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

weasel wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:53 pm I think/hope that it shows Farke can tweak tactics when he spots weaknesses in opposition teams. He knew Ipswich were going to try to play to their strengths and he turned it into a weakness. Harder for any manager to come up with ways of beating a parked bus defence when the strikeforce has an off day.

Many don't seem to think Farke has tactical felxibility but that is because the subtle tweaks go unnoticed, or things like the traps that they work on in training so that they exploit opposition ways of playing.

Hopefully other teams will take note and also exploit Ipswich weaknesses although of course that only matters if we do our job.
You'd think that be the case wouldn't you, Weasel. But I remember thinking\hoping the same thing after we beat Ipswich AND Leicester the first time around. Maybe DF should hold a one-day coaching seminar :)
In Farke we trust...
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:55 pm I witnessed it all today, Kenny boy. I'll be watching a replay of aspects of the game I may have missed tomorrow morning. :-D
Not one bad player Sid, no shirkers, it was a complete performance and the luck was also with us on a number of occasions, ball fell kindly for us a lot keeping play flowing, twas a delight for the manager that, watch Kamara also, very intelligent movement and positioning, i got my 4-1-4-1 a lot today with Kamara.

DJ still has the edge over Willy for me for his all round performance game, jeez if he knew what to do with the ball more and could pick a pass like Bert would've taught him, he'll make a cracker, i'm hoping DF can continue working on him.
DF's influence showed with a few today, i'd just love to be privy to some of his sessions with em, indoor training and out.

Nobody should be left wondering now about all this Piroe/Rutter business, they're all over the shop, dropping deep to pick the ball up and popping up in the 6yd box and area to be able to hit the bar, Rutter explained it best at the end "I'm not bothered who scores as long as the ball finds the net"

He's building 'team' Sid enjoy !

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

This Coventry City couple love Leeds United's brand of football.

4m.20secs into the video.

Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Well that’s a game where all the stars aligned for Leeds and disappeared for our lot.

It’s one game . We don’t have to play this very powerful , quick Leeds side again, thankfully.

We are still 7 points ahead of them, and they have to play Leicester and Saints still.

So we move on and if we can beat Leicester that’s 3 pts instead of my hoped for 2 out of those two games tbh.

They’ve just said Axel could possibly be off on international duty as well so that’s
Burgess, Axel Baggott all potentially gone.

Defenders needed then!

;@)