Leeds Utd v Coventry City Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Coventry City Match Thread

Post by JoeDenver »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:42 pm Starting to look as i thought - DF's been overachieving with this bunch.

You can lead horses to water.

Lionel Messi would've had a hatful for us today.

We have a distinct lack of quality.

We have a distinct lack of depth.

I wonder if we have a distinct lack of money to buy our way out.
I do think there’s some inevitable churn about to ensue in January. 49ers want out of the Championship in a big way.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Oh....before i forget

We have a distinct lack of good decision making, especially in certain players.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:58 pm Again, Coventry can foul at will as the ref let them get away with murder earlier...
I couldn't believe what I was watching.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:59 pm Another poor result. Not that we were catching the top 2 anyway. Farke has no idea how to sort it, and is just relying on the quality of individuals.
Poor/average in 10 of our 22 games, now.

No chance of automatic promotion this season.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

Teams have worked us out. It's not that we have become a bad team it's just that everyone now sees that we can be stopped from scoring simply by packing the box and let us huff and puff away until they can get a fast break to test us.

We don't play fast and/or early passes through these defences and most can close us down easily enough.

Our current front four are not adapting to these massed defences to either strike accurately from distance or play very fast and direct through them. Also we are still s**t at set pieces, which adds to our woes. The front line needs freshening up - and we need to buy a quality, experienced 10.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:48 pm Oh....before i forget

We have a distinct lack of good decision making, especially in certain players.
Mentioned Georginio in this regard earlier on Kenny.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Boo Radley wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:01 pm Teams have worked us out. It's not that we have become a bad team it's just that everyone now sees that we can be stopped from scoring simply by packing the box and let us huff and puff away until they can get a fast break to test us.

We don't play fast and/or early passes through these defences and most can close us down easily enough.

Our current front four are not adapting to these massed defences to either strike accurately from distance or play very fast and direct through them. Also we are still s**t at set pieces, which adds to our woes. The front line needs freshening up - and we need to buy a quality, experienced 10.
Pretty much sums it up Boo, with the added frustration that we insist in playing out from the back every time, never mixing it up by going long - just invites the press, and you can bet other managers are training for this before playing us.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:43 pm Don't get me started about the referee. :x
Absolute shocker that today.

I’ll go to bed singing that ‘You’re too fat to referee’
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:15 pm Mentioned Georginio in this regard earlier on Kenny.
He got on my wick a few times today. Two overhit, and I mean completely butchered passes to James. Turned his defender and shot when he had a simple pass to Summerville. Plenty of examples of very poor decision making. He can be fantastic to watch but occasionally like a giraffe on steroids
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:25 pm Absolute shocker that today.

I’ll go to bed singing that ‘You’re too fat to referee’
He'd have got nutted had he been officiating a Sunday League match.

I blew quite a few fuses today, players & fans should'nt have put up with such incompetence.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:30 pm He got on my wick a few times today. Two overhit, and I mean completely butchered passes to James. Turned his defender and shot when he had a simple pass to Summerville. Plenty of examples of very poor decision making. He can be fantastic to watch but occasionally like a giraffe on steroids
Fans around me not happy with his performance today, a great assist for Summerville's goal, but so many parts of his game were questionable.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Summerville created 7 chances today.

The pass it to Summerville tactics on full show.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
LoinerBoy
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by LoinerBoy »

Overman wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:00 pm Not good enough once again, anyone thinking we'll catch Ipswich or Leicester, are delusional.
True
LoinerBoy
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by LoinerBoy »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:50 pm Farke's favourite was on the pitch far too long, as was the case against Sunderland.

Apart from his goals, I'm unsure what Piroe offers us.
To be fair, as nearly everybody on here is aware, Piroe is absolutely wasted playing behind the striker (Rutter?). We just do not know what he can do in his natural, 35 goal, Swansea position up front because Farke absolutely refuses to play him there. He just looks lost playing in his current position. I feel sorry for him really and I don't think he can be a very happy soul.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

LoinerBoy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:55 am To be fair, as nearly everybody on here is aware, Piroe is absolutely wasted playing behind the striker (Rutter?). We just do not know what he can do in his natural, 35 goal, Swansea position up front because Farke absolutely refuses to play him there. He just looks lost playing in his current position. I feel sorry for him really and I don't think he can be a very happy soul.
Farke says he plays Piroe where Swansea played him ... I never watched Swansea at all really so don't know.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

LoinerBoy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:55 am To be fair, as nearly everybody on here is aware, Piroe is absolutely wasted playing behind the striker (Rutter?). We just do not know what he can do in his natural, 35 goal, Swansea position up front because Farke absolutely refuses to play him there. He just looks lost playing in his current position. I feel sorry for him really and I don't think he can be a very happy soul.
He didn't play upfront for Swansea, that's a Leeds fans myth that's being going around since the start of the season.

Our problem is, we try to walk the ball in the net in congested areas, whereas Swansea were more direct & shot at every opportunity.
LoinerBoy
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by LoinerBoy »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:56 am He didn't play upfront for Swansea, that's a Leeds fans myth that's being going around since the start of the season.

Our problem is, we try to walk the ball in the net in congested areas, whereas Swansea were more direct & shot at every opportunity.
With great respect, not really a "Leeds fan's myth" I think. I too have never seen Piroe play for Swansea, but two things to perhaps consider:

TransferMarket.com has the following bio:

Main position:
Centre-Forward

Other position:
Right Winger
Attacking Midfield

Check out YouTube's "Piroe's 30 goals for Swansea" performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCRh2OPMW7A - about 9.5 minutes

In most (90%?) he seems to score from Rutter's usual, central position on goal or (much less so) from the right of goal

Just saying what I see, but there again, you may be right that it's just a myth ;-)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:56 am He didn't play upfront for Swansea, that's a Leeds fans myth that's being going around since the start of the season.

Absolutely this, just have a dig every now and again.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:13 am Absolutely this, just have a dig every now and again.
But when Geo did yesterday there were complaints he did... It's really not we're trying to walk the ball in, it's we can't find space for the shot. Gray, Ampadu, Piroe, Geo, Cry even James have all shot from distance recently. And to be fair we're fairly high up the leading scorer lists. If our top scorer had 4/5 goals there maybe a case for we're trying to hard too score but Summerville 11, Piroe 8, James 7 suggest that's not the case
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Did Swansea have a striker or a forward alongside Piroe?