The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 2nd November) Trio should be fit for crunch game

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 2nd November) Trio should be fit for crunch game

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 2nd November, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Trio should be fit for crunch game

Daniel Farke has issued an encouraging injury update, ahead of Friday nights crunch match at the King Power Stadium.

Joe Rodon, Crysencio Summerville and Sam Byram all picked up knocks during Leeds 4-1 demolition of Huddersfield Town, and were duly substituted. With less than a week to recover, it was assumed that the gaffer may have to make a number of unforced changes, but, all three returned to full training yesterday, and barring a relapse, should be be fit to start.

"There were a few players with a few concerns - Joe Rodon, Sam Byram, Cree Summerville. During the last game, I substituted all three of them. We took care of them yesterday so they were just involved in parts of the team training but were able to train today in the full session, so if there's no reaction they are all free and available. Definitely good news."

Is Cooper adequate cover at CB

Leeds fans are breathing a sigh of relief after hearing that Joe Rodon has overcome his knock, and should be fit to start on Friday night, against top of the table Leicester City; but what if he had been ruled out for several months?

The automatic replacement would obviously be Liam Cooper, followed by Messrs Ayling and Byram, with Cresswell trailing a long way behind. The gulf between Roden, and the best of the rest seems immense, and a clear weakness in the Leeds squad.

Do Leeds need to invest in another centre-back in January, or can they plug any defensive gaps with the squad they already have. What's the point of offering the likes of Ayling and Cooper new contracts if they are past their best? They are multi-millionaires who have been making more in a fortnight, than most of us make in a year! Is there any room for sentiment?

Summerville rated second best player in the Championship

Crysencio Summerville is the second best player in the Championship according to new data from Whoscored.

The Dutch wizard has had a blistering start to life in the Championship, showing his teammates the way forward with six goals, four assists and five man of the match performances, giving him an average rating of 7.75, just behind Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall (7.79).

Former White Jack Clarke is third on 7.67; fourth is Hull City's Jaden Philogene (7.50) and Gabriel Sara (Norwich City) is in 5th place on 7.45, just ahead of Georginio Rutter on 7.43.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 2nd November) Trio should be fit for crunch game

Post by 1964white »

If the majority of us are crapping ourselves at the thought of Rodon missing games, Coops is obviously not adequate, we may get away with Liam playing against the relegation candidates, but starting Coops vs the likes of Leicester, Saints, Ipswich & other teams in around the top six is scary!

Not only that, Cooper in the team affects Struijk's rejuvenated form.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 2nd November) Trio should be fit for crunch game

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'm pretty sure DF and the board are well aware of what we require.

Finding them is another matter.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

Good news all round with the injuries, If we have to use a combo hybrid of Ayling/Cooper, it does not fill you with hope. A new CB would be required if he is not going to blood Cresswell.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I am bemused as to why Cresswell is not being given a chance - not even making the bench. He acquitted himself pretty well on loan at Millwall in the Championship last season, and looked super promising for the under 21s before that. Has his progress stagnated since then? It can happen, I suppose, and I think we can trust Farke’s judgement, but nevertheless it’s a bit of a mystery to me.

It’s interesting (but unsurprising) to see, that Leeds United have two players in the top six performers in the League so far this season, I’m certainly not going to argue with that statistic as both have been brilliant so far in this campaign and are a pleasure to watch. I hope both can maintain there form till the end of the season, if they can, then we won’t be far away from the auto spots.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

So Georginio in 6th place.

Have the others above him created 30 chances this season?

Maybe they have score more goals.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Everyone thinks that Leicester is going to steam roll the league but in January there will be the African cup of Nations and perhaps four of the Leicester team will be going to that competition... how the loss of some of their star players will effect the teams performace remains to be seen, but I can see a possible blip come January.

International breaks usually disrupt the formation of a team due to tiredness or injury so this African cup of Nations may put a spanner in leicester's works.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:31 am Everyone thinks that Leicester is going to steam roll the league but in January there will be the African cup of Nations and perhaps four of the Leicester team will be going to that competition... how the loss of some of their star players will effect the teams performace remains to be seen, but I can see a possible blip come January.

International breaks usually disrupt the formation of a team due to tiredness or injury so this African cup of Nations may put a spanner in leicester's works.
I wasn't aware of that.
Interesting and valid point.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Good morning EB et all,

Like BBGG, I'm a little perplex as to why Cresswell isn't getting chance, especially as he's right footed which makes for a better balanced defence, Struijk always looks uncomfortable playing on the right side. However moving forward Coops is going to get less and less game time so we would need a replacement anyway, and who says Rodon will stay next season.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

The laughable thing is why as it taken so long for many fans to realise that cooper ayling and quite a few more are a dead loss
Farke and the board obviously can't see beyond end of their noses otherwise action would have been taken a long time ago
By the time they are replaced with hopefully better players it will be far too late as the damage will already be done
geronimo
First Team
First Team

Post by geronimo »

Ratscoot wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:56 am Good morning EB et all,

Like BBGG, I'm a little perplex as to why Cresswell isn't getting chance, especially as he's right footed which makes for a better balanced defence, Struijk always looks uncomfortable playing on the right side. However moving forward Coops is going to get less and less game time so we would need a replacement anyway, and who says Rodon will stay next season.
Exactly rodon wont stay he is only here to get game time so effectively we will want at least two centre backs not one
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

geronimo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:17 am Exactly rodon wont stay he is only here to get game time so effectively we will want at least two centre backs not one
I did see something a while ago suggesting a fee was agreed with spurs to make the loan permanent- fairly simple ithough, if we go up we likely sign him, if we don’t then we won’t.
geronimo
First Team
First Team

Post by geronimo »

WhiteRose wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:57 am I did see something a while ago suggesting a fee was agreed with spurs to make the loan permanent- fairly simple ithough, if we go up we likely sign him, if we don’t then we won’t.
Its another Ben White situation fella rodon plays out of his skin his value increases he then either goes back to spurs and competes for a place in their team or is sold on for big money he won't be here next season neither will Spence so it will be more gaps to fill
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:31 am Everyone thinks that Leicester is going to steam roll the league but in January there will be the African cup of Nations and perhaps four of the Leicester team will be going to that competition... how the loss of some of their star players will effect the teams performace remains to be seen, but I can see a possible blip come January.

Wasn’t aware of that, many thanks for the info 👍
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white

Post by 1964white »

geronimo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:07 am The laughable thing is why as it taken so long for many fans to realise that cooper ayling and quite a few more are a dead loss
Farke and the board obviously can't see beyond end of their noses otherwise action would have been taken a long time ago
By the time they are replaced with hopefully better players it will be far too late as the damage will already be done
Farke has only been at Leeds four months.

49s took full control three months ago.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:29 am

Is Cooper adequate cover at CB

Leeds fans are breathing a sigh of relief after hearing that Joe Rodon has overcome his knock, and should be fit to start on Friday night, against top of the table Leicester City; but what if he had been ruled out for several months?

The automatic replacement would obviously be Liam Cooper, followed by Messrs Ayling and Byram, with Cresswell trailing a long way behind. The gulf between Roden, and the best of the rest seems immense, and a clear weakness in the Leeds squad.

Do Leeds need to invest in another centre-back in January, or can they plug any defensive gaps with the squad they already have. What's the point of offering the likes of Ayling and Cooper new contracts if they are past their best? They are multi-millionaires who have been making more in a fortnight, than most of us make in a year! Is there any room for sentiment?
Is this serious or just click bait? To start with the gulf between Rodon and Struijk is a fag paper.

The rest of it is so off the mark it does seem like a wind up.. If we buy another CB who are we dropping Struijk or Rodon?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

geronimo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:06 am Its another Ben White situation fella rodon plays out of his skin his value increases he then either goes back to spurs and competes for a place in their team or is sold on for big money he won't be here next season neither will Spence so it will be more gaps to fill
How do know what will happen in seven months time?

I was agreeing with you yesterday, I'm not today!
geronimo
First Team
First Team

Post by geronimo »

1964white wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:58 am Farke has only been at Leeds four months.

49s took full control three months ago.
But it was obvious then this situation hasn't just happened the four months we have stood still and done nothing as put us in the position we are in now
Trying to pull back clubs who have huge points advantages over us and trying to do it with half a team
geronimo
First Team
First Team

Post by geronimo »

1964white wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:01 pm How do know what will happen in seven months time?

I was agreeing with you yesterday, I'm not today!
Why would he stay at leeds? The wages alone would be another issue he ain't going to take a massive wage cut and in all probability be playing championship football next season
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I have to say the prospect of Struijk and Cresswell as a pair would concern me at this point.
But he does need minutes or he may wither on the vine, so to speak.

If we were 12th and going nowhere I would happily see Charlie get games but Coops is still ahead of him despite being a lefty. Instead every game is critical and we need our strongest team.

But Struijk is coming on leaps and bounds and is imo one we will need to work hard to hold on to soon.
Thankfully he has 4 years left to run on his contract.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa