Stoke City v Leeds Utd - Post match discussion

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Stoke City v Leeds Utd - Post match discussion

Post by Ellandback1 »

25th October 8:00pm | Bet365 Stadium

Fresh from their heroics in East Anglia, Leeds find themselves on the road again, this time in Staffordshire, home of Championship strugglers Stoke City FC.

The Potters had won just once in eight games (from all competitions), that is, before upsetting the odds by beating play-off hopefuls Sunderland last weekend. Whilst three valuable points may have given Stoke Manager Alex Neill a stay of execution, few, including the bookies give them much hope of overturning a Leeds side who are starting to find their rhythm.

Their victory at the weekend coincided with a return to fitness for Enda Stevens, Ki-Jana Hoever, Ryan Mmaee, Andre Vidigal and Lynden Gooch, but will still be without key players Ben Wilmot (Defender), former Whites Midfielder Lewis Baker and forward Tyrese Campbell.

Leeds will be without the services of Junior Firpo, Djed Spence and Stuart Dallas. The trio have all returned to training but with ten minutes of combined game time between them this season, are still a long way from being named in Daniel Farke's line-up. With Patrick Bamford and Wilfred Gnonto fully fit, Leeds have the luxury of options up front. Crysencio Summerville and Daniel James sit this one out in favour of Wilfred Gnonto and Jaidon Anthony whilst Piroe and Rutter remain up front.

Archie Gray struggled at right wing-back in the first half against Norwich but retains his place. Sam Byram is on the opposit side with Struijk and Rodon in the middle as usual. Ilia Gruev makes his first start for Leeds alongside Ampadu. Daniel Farke has a strong bench to pick from of Darlow, Ayling, Shackleton, Cooper, Kamara, Poveda, Summerville, James and Bamford.

The last time these two teams played (in the league) was 2019/20. Not only did Leeds do the double, but did so in style, with an aggregate of eight goals to none.

New season VPN offer! Get NordVPN with 62% off + 3 months free...

Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Stoke City v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Kennyb41 »

He's got a bit of a luxury atm, only a bit mind, if he likes.

I'd be talking to the players in the positions that you suggest like RB, i very much doubt any would say they want a rest, but if Stoke don't have much to offer against Ayling i'd be telling Gray he's playing 45 mins if all goes well and it might be in Midfield.

I also like to see a team that's learning to play with each other retaining their positions if all is well, he's got to suss his best starting 11 still yet in my eyes, and some players are better than others coming off the bench, whilst some perhaps like Jimmy are better starting the game.

Suppose it's good to have the problem at last, and a few options all-over really.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Just hope it's not an anti climax game, we really ought to be beating teams like stoke and keeping the pressure on the teams above.
We had a dreadful start to the season with all the things happening beyond DFs control, but he's handled it extremely well thus far.
I've also said it kenny, I don't think he knows his starting 11 at the moment, probably waiting on a fit Spence and Gnonto.
It's finally good to have these options as injuries have plagued us the last 4 seasons, that and no strength in depth.
It will all become apparent in the new year, with speculation in January window and who we keep, hopefully all of them will have bought into the project.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

If we are to go up we need to be beating the likes of Stoke and Huddersfield.

A different kettle of fish with Leicester of course and I'd be extremely happy if we get something against them.

I think I would pick my best attacking 11 (10) from the start at Stoke, try to go in 2 up at half time, and then rest a couple.

In Farke we trust of course.
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

Farke seems to think James is his best starting option at the moment, but I would be starting with Anthony
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I never like to take anything for granted and home advantage will help Stoke (initially at least), but, as others have said, we really need to be winning games like this if only to hang on to the coattails of Leicester, who went and won again last night.

I am hosting a quiz night at my local pub tonight so won’t be watching, but I’ll be keeping tabs and hoping for the best.

Come on Leeds!
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

whiteinfrance wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:15 am Farke seems to think James is his best starting option at the moment, but I would be starting with Anthony
I think he feels all of : Willy, James, Jimmy and Anthony that their best position is on the left, with James his preferred option on the right for whatever reason.

It could be among other reasons his speed to help out down the line, I don't feel it's all settled yet and he's still figuring it out

Where's Gnonto's best position ?
What's Jimmy's best position ?
James ?

I think it's agreed Anthony is a LWinger.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Remember this game when Dallas scored one of the goals of the season under Bielsa's tenure.

A great day out in the sun for us fans :scar1

GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Very few ( if any ) easy games in the Championship, so i hope that if we aren't ahead in the early stages that people start getting annoyed and going overboard about it.
Stoke at home wont be easy but we have more than enough to win this, especially if we can put away early chances, then that helps take the pressure off players and fans.
For the time being i dont think we need to be thinking about catching Leicester, lets concentrate on catching Ipswich first of all. Then carry on from there, if we can.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Think we might see a rest for Archie tonight
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

Ipswich at Bristol city tonight Preston play Southampton all key games around the top six Leicester are out of sight barring a miracle beat Sunderland last night

Another must win to keep the pressure on Ipswich and hope they drop points with their game in hand
Huddersfield at home Saturday so got to be looking at six points in next two games
Need to create a gap from the chasing pack from third downwards
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Live on SKY tonight
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Score first with an Early goal will be ideal.

Missed chances when we are dominant tends to be our issue. Like many other teams they will play on the break - the longer it goes on without us scoring the more frustrated we will become and players tend to become rather desperate and try to force it, which leads to mistakes. We always seem to get punished when we make a mistake, mostly because we have players out of position.

I like that DF has tried to mitigate this by playing patiently, even though at times it can be frustrating passing the ball around the back. But what it does is sap the energy of their forward players if they try chasing the ball.
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

This is a tricky game, Stoke have been extremely disappointing but they are starting to get a few good results. This is not a game where you make to many changes imo. The momentum needs to be maintained but some player positions can be exchanged without upsetting the balance. I would like see Anthony in the side, he really is a class player. Piroe needs to be more involved and parts of his support play need to be improved. Hopefully we have learnt from the Norwich game and keep our shape and performance levels from the first minute to the last. Close game and far from a gimme.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Beating teams like Huddersfield is a must now, we struggled like hell to beat Sheff Weds with their park the bus tactics, but that was a while ago now and DF has improved us a lot more to counter this thing, tonight won't be an easy ride, far from it, but getting the first goal will be an asset for us, not getting beat is imperative.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Hard not to go in to this expecting a win. It won’t surprise me if we don’t look on song from the start but we will surely have too much for Stoke and we will score more than them.

Our strength this season can be our squad depth, Farke needs to rotate where it makes sense. Personally I’d like to see bamford and Anthony start a game and have Piroe and James on the bench.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

As allready said this game and Huddersfield on Saturday must be wins. I do beleive that we will finish above Ipswich where that will be its anyone's guess. Leicester will finish top and I can see Southampton being there abouts but at the moment second place is definitely in out own hands. Must be consistent and win those 2 winable games
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I'd be tempted to drop Ampadu and play Gruev.

If Ampadu gets booked tonight he only needs to get booked vs Huddersfield and he misses Leicester.

I'd also be tempted to rest Byram and if fit enough start Gnonto over James.

Results wise we need to be winning games like this and should be with the players we have.

Stoke have some dangerous players though.

André Vidigal has 4 goals from left wing and will give Gray or whoever a difficult time.

Ryan Mmaee only has one goal up front but has looked a handful when I've seen him.

Sead Hakšabanović is another tricky customer a Ben Pearson is a nasty bit of work but a real tough tackler type.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:27 am Remember this game when Dallas scored one of the goals of the season under Bielsa's tenure.

That goal was a thing of beauty.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:27 am Remember this game when Dallas scored one of the goals of the season under Bielsa's tenure.

That was a great goal.
Bielsa the tactician and Hernandez the magician.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa