England International Matches

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: England International Matches

Post by Jaydog »

PhoenixUnited wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:29 pm Well the fundamental requirement is for the International Team manager to select his squad and then mould them into a winning team. It does not mean getting the football players available as that does not necessarily mean they will form the best team. Apologies for stating the obvious. Also, there is the issue of the tactics to be employed. If you just review what Alf Ramsey did and how he did it with his wingless wonders in the 1966 World Cup winning team. Horses for courses.

With the Gareth Southgate teams what we seem to see is a set up that is sent out to play "tournament" football which is play 2 DMs in front of the defence and pass the ball sideways, back and across the park in our own half and then try to get a goal to scrape a win to get the points and qualify for the next round. By the time the team gets to the knock out stages, which fair enough the England team has a decent record of doing, the team is so regimental in its tactics and can't play any other way that it is just inevitable that we end up with trying to win games on penalties. GS is set in his ways and has his favourite players and he ain't going to change any time soon. I hope I'm wrong but I really can't see GS heading up a tournament winng team sadly
He’s a sack of s**t.
That’s my tactical analysis.
The most boring England manager ever with possibly the greatest most exciting squad.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:27 pm Put it on, saw Kewell, turned it off. Watched the last 10 minutes and that was pretty dull.

Pointless friendlies, getting in the way of our actual season.
Yeah, I saw the tweet 😂😂😂
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jordan Henderson, expected to start for England vs Italy at Wembley tonight.

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

One good thing about these international breaks is that DF gets to catch up on the short pre season.

Imagine that England side with someone like Eddie Howe in charge.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:09 am One good thing about these international breaks is that DF gets to catch up on the short pre season.

Imagine that England side with someone like Eddie Howe in charge.
I predicted Eddie Howe to become the future England manager on here, when he was at Bournemouth.

That may still be the case should Newcastle take a decision to replace him, sometime in the future.
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

1964white wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:16 pm I predicted Eddie Howe to become the future England manager on here, when he was at Bournemouth.

That may still be the case should Newcastle take a decision to replace him, sometime in the future.
Would be an obvious choice after what he did at Bournemouth but would need to have success at Newcastle especially with the money they have now
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:34 am Got that bored, switched over and watched Corrie which was pretty good.
Just no ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Brilliant goal by Rashford, Bellingham is a class act
Keeping The Faith
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:06 pm Brilliant goal by Rashford, Bellingham is a class act
That was great work all around from Bellingham. The sliding tackle. The flick over the defender. Then pulling the defenders away to make space for Rashford.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

How are Harry Maguire, Kalvin Phillips and Jordan Henderson still getting picked :lol:

Could ask the same about Jack Grealish who has the sum total of 2 assists this season

Or Rashford whose got 1 goal this season.

Loads of players on merit this season deserve a chance.

Ben White
Cole Palmer
Anthony Gordon
Raheem Sterling
James Ward-Prowse
Sean Longstaff

It's selection on reputation and even that is pushing it for some of them.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Get anybody on the planet in for me, but just get GS out asap.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Anyone noticed how their respective managers have got Kane and Bellingham playing out their skin and scoring for fun.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

England already qualified. Big opportunity to try things out, blood new players, test new formations and partnerships..............

So Gareth Southgate selects his mainstays no doubt to bore the pants off the audience but having his players playing sideways, across the park and backwards and hope to beat Malta and North Macedonia.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:33 pm He’s a sack of s**t.
That’s my tactical analysis.
The most boring England manager ever with possibly the greatest most exciting squad.
Really :duno:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:37 pm Really :duno:
For a long long time, yes definitely.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:58 pm For a long long time, yes definitely.
I reckon that squad/team is well below a WC 1990 or Euro 1996 one.

We've a few gems - Bellingham, Foden, Kane*, Rice for example but beyond that ???

*....and it seemed fashionable to caution any praise for Kane, but fair play he's had a cracking start to life in Bavaria !!
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:28 pm I reckon that squad/team is well below a WC 1990 or Euro 1996 one.

We've a few gems - Bellingham, Foden, Kane*, Rice for example but beyond that ???

*....and it seemed fashionable to caution any praise for Kane, but fair play he's had a cracking start to life in Bavaria !!
What about all the gems that Gareth doesn’t use. He doesn’t even rate Maddison. He’s the weak link.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

But, Foxy you suggested that this squad is possibly the greatest most exciting squad.

Looking at that squad - as in Cjay's earlier post I just don't see it........it's a million miles from England's greatest, most exciting squad (imo)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:06 pm But, Foxy you suggested that this squad is possibly the greatest most exciting squad.

Looking at that squad - as in Cjay's earlier post I just don't see it........it's a million miles from England's greatest, most exciting squad (imo)
I stand by that even allowing for some former England teams & managers that I admired/enjoyed.
I’m talking about an era that has seen some historically great football countries underperform and we still can’t take advantage. The manager is a huge part of the problem or indeed the solution. Take a look at us before Bielsa for instance. Southgate is hopeless.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:06 pm But, Foxy you suggested that this squad is possibly the greatest most exciting squad.

It's up for debate.

Certainly some exceptional talents available now.

Saka, Foden, Bellingham, Rice,

Then people like Alexander-Arnold, Trippier, Kyle Walker, Maddison, others who have consistently put in really impressive numbers in the Premier League.

Kane as well of course.

That Euro 1996 squad had some dross in it.

Steve Stone, Ian Walker, Steve Howey, Darren Anderton, Nick Barmby,

Are they better than what we have now? At best they are bang average Premier league players I'd say.

On the other hand
Fowler, Gazza, Campbell, Adams, etc.

I think we have more depth now in certain areas and more real stars.

But especially defence and goalies are an issue.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom