Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - UNCUT VERSION

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - UNCUT VERSION

Post by Ellandback1 »

Sunday 17th September 12:00pm | The Den

Leeds face a trip to South-East London on Sunday, hoping to tame Gary Rowett's Lions, and climb their way to the top half of the table. The two sides last met three seasons ago. Millwall edged past ten men Leeds in Bermondsey, though Bielsa's Whites got their revenge in a five goal thriller later that season. The hatred between the two clubs are well documented, but the return of Jamie Shackleton and Charlie Cresswell may soften the mood somewhat. The duo spent last season on loan at Millwall, helping them to an eighth place finish, a point shy from the play offs.

Leeds are a point, and three places below their bitter rivals, but have a very different side to the one(s) Bielsa put out against the Lions that season. Only Bamford, Cooper and Ayling have survived the tests of time, but all three are set to miss out. Cooper and Bamford are both recovering from injury, whilst new signing Djed Spence is expected to replace Ayling at right-back. Charlie Cresswell will probably start on the bench, with Farke preferring Messrs Roden and Struijk as the centre back pairing.

Junior Firpo is nearing a return to action, but having not played since last season, is likely to start on the bench, once he regains his fitness. With Dallas and Byram sidelined, the gaffer may call on either Leo Hjelde (who impressed on International duty recently with Norway's U21's) or Jamie Shackleton (as an inverted left wing-back) as cover.

It has been rumoured that Archie Gray will drop to the bench in favour of either Glen Kamara or Ilia Gruev, with fellow new recruit Jaidon Anthony also expecting game time on Sunday. Farke needs to decide on either Joel Piroe or Georginio Rutter for the number nine role, which could see the young Frenchman dropping to the bench after a disappointing show against Sheffield Wednesday, before the International break.

Casper de Norre may return to action for Millwall. He returned to the bench against high flying Birmingham City before the International break. Fellow midfielder George Honeyman misses out with a quad problem. Recent purchases Allan Campbell and Ryan Longman will be hoping to make their debut's for the home side.

New season VPN offer! Get NordVPN with 62% off + 3 months free...

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Don't envy my pals having to get up at a god earthly hour for this game :shock:

Horrible hunting ground for Leeds as we've lost five & drawn one of our last six games at The Den, last time we beat them was in the 2011/12 season.

I've had the misfortune of visiting The Den several times, I remember our coach getting brick about 15 years ago.

I do recall the only draw we earned of late when Jack Harrison scored an equaliser in the final minutes. :scar1 :clapp: :shirtw: Our fans went crackers in the Leeds end, lots of taunts as the Wall fans streamed out of the ground giving us the fingers.

My last visit didn't go well in the 2019/20 season. Berardi was sent off & within two minutes Millwall were handed a penalty, both decisions dubious I recall. The wall made it 2-0 right on half-time, Alioski pull one back just after half-time to give us fans hope, unfortunately it wasn't to be & we suffered yet another defeat in London.

The team that day was:

Screenshot 2023-09-15 10.12.17.png

However, after saying all that, I'm going for a 0-2 victory to the Mighty Leeds
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The championship guru's Bloom & the Griffin's predict the championship weekend results

Leeds prediction 13m 50s into the video

WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Obviously love a win but not sure I can see it coming in this one - back in this s**t where every game vs us means so much more to the opposition- really hope Farke has had time to work on breaking teams down and gets piroe as number 9.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Yep, Piroe at 9 please.

We need a finisher there most of all.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

First one i'm missing ont telly live. Lets not beat around the bush if we have got our shooting boots on we should be winning this game comfortably. We will be hitting the Wall as they don't do possession but we should have enough about us. 3-1 to the YRA.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Just bumped into Eddie Nketiah with my son at the local offy- my lad is an Arsenal fan so rushed to get a selfie. I on the other hand just reminded him once Leeds always Leeds - he smiled as he walked to that McLaren old banger he drives.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

DDB220 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:30 pm Just bumped into Eddie Nketiah with my son at the local offy- my lad is an Arsenal fan so rushed to get a selfie. I on the other hand just reminded him once Leeds always Leeds - he smiled as he walked to that McLaren old banger he drives.
Well said, DDB! MOT, :tup:
In Farke we trust...
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:43 am The championship guru's Bloom & the Griffin's predict the championship weekend results

Leeds prediction 13m 50s into the video

Never make a video when you are half cut and never do it with your dad, who cannot keep his eyes off the drinks cabinet.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Before anyone starts lecturing :) I know expected goals (xG) are not the end-all-be-all, but thought for the match thread these were some interesting stats and food for thought:

Millwall: Expected points using xG: 2. xG position: 22nd. Actual points: 7. Actual position: 12th.

Leeds: Expected points using xG: 10. xG position: 7th. Actual points: 6. Actual position: 15th.

Another instance of results not being indicative of performance?

Source: https://footballxg.com/xg-league-tables/
In Farke we trust...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Millwall have a keeper crisis? ..Well that's whomever plays having a career day then
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:34 am Millwall have a keeper crisis? ..Well that's whomever plays having a career day then
My immediate thoughts too, he'll have a blinder!
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:34 am Millwall have a keeper crisis? ..Well that's whomever plays having a career day then
Now you've jinxed us, Faiip :) I remember hearing the same thing during the international break, but when I went to find news on what I thought I read was an injury to their starting keeper I couldn't find any information. I imagine there's a conspiracy afoot :shhh:
In Farke we trust...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2023-09-17 11.01.17.png
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Thats a strong enough line up for me, 6 players with PL experience, also 4 on bench
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Great word. I’m going to have to get that in my vocabulary today. :tup:
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:04 am Thats a strong enough line up for me, 6 players with PL experience, also 4 on bench
Best bench I have seen in god knows how long.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Shaks unlucky to not make the team but Byram is the better option. No surprise we don’t make any changes in MF with the new players going away on international duty. Hope Anthony gets a run out second half. Nothing more Leeds than signing a proven goascoring striker and then not playing him upfront.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Spence injured I assume ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"