Gigs (not that one!)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Gigs (not that one!)

Post by 1964white »

Sara wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:37 am Incidentally, Dan Eccles from Richmond Fontaine is also up there with the best.
Dan is excellent, Sara :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sara wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:32 am Andy Powell has the best live guitar tone I've ever heard, and I'm a lifelong nerd for these things. His current foil, Mark Abrahams, is also very good.

Here he is talking about his relationship with the Flying V:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytg3HAg-F-o
Totally agree, as I posted earlier, my favourite live guitar band.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:51 am Stop gloating mop top :P
Shut up baldy ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:32 pm Dan is excellent, Sara :tup:
He's interesting to watch live; Telecaster into a Vox AC30, using a volume pedal for tremolo. Great sound, and a very instinctive player.
Exxo
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Exxo »

Anyone going to this gig by The Hitchers in Leeds 7th October? It's the evening of the Bristol City home game.

https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/whats-on ... /t-pqyanaj

'Strachan' by the Hitchers is my favourite LUFC-related song of all time. No, it's my favourite indie football-related song of all time. Plenty more excellent indie bangers too that I remember from their Peel sessions back in the day.

They're from Limerick and haven't played in Leeds since I saw them at The Duchess in about 2001.
Exxo
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Exxo »

Exxo wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:13 pm Anyone going to this gig by The Hitchers in Leeds 7th October? It's the evening of the Bristol City home game.

https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/whats-on ... /t-pqyanaj

'Strachan' by the Hitchers is my favourite LUFC-related song of all time. No, it's my favourite indie football-related song of all time. Plenty more excellent indie bangers too that I remember from their Peel sessions back in the day.

They're from Limerick and haven't played in Leeds since I saw them at The Duchess in about 2001.
Another bump for this brilliant band's upcoming Leeds gig. I'm told they've produced a new Gordon Strachan t-shirt especially.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Heading over to Leeds tomorrow for the Boxer Rebellion gig in The Brudenell Social Club then for the Bristol City game on Saturday. Great little venue for a gig near Headingly & cheap beer. Win win win.
Keeping The Faith
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:08 pm Heading over to Leeds tomorrow for the Boxer Rebellion gig in The Brudenell Social Club then for the Bristol City game on Saturday. Great little venue for a gig near Headingly & cheap beer. Win win win.
I've noticed they seem to have some good names on there, Cussie
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:08 pm Heading over to Leeds tomorrow for the Boxer Rebellion gig in The Brudenell Social Club then for the Bristol City game on Saturday. Great little venue for a gig near Headingly & cheap beer. Win win win.
Me and the Mrs will be at the Brudenell for Ruts DC December 13th. Seen a few bands up there: The Dead Boys (2018) standss out :)
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:02 pm I've noticed they seem to have some good names on there, Cussie
Yes, just been a couple of times but they seem to get some good names. Texas played in July & tickets were £18.99 & you got a 2 disc cd thrown in.
Keeping The Faith
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:19 pm Yes, just been a couple of times but they seem to get some good names. Texas played in July & tickets were £18.99 & you got a 2 disc cd thrown in.
Got to say if it was £1.99 I probably wouldn't have bothered with Texas :)

I saw them, supporting Simple Minds in Cardiff Arms Park, before they knocked in down and developed the Millennium (Principality) Stadium in 1989 and they (Texas) were absolute :poo: ........one of the worst bands I've seen live.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Next one up for me is Shed Seven in a couple of weeks at The Tramshed, Cardiff :tup:
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:12 pm Me and the Mrs will be at the Brudenell for Ruts DC December 13th. Seen a few bands up there: The Dead Boys (2018) standss out :)
Have a good one Victor, let us all know how it goes. I prefer smaller gigs like that now done my share of going to overpriced, rip off, bigger venues/ artists. Tickets for tomorrow night were around £18 each.
Keeping The Faith
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've got Dark Horses next up at the Green Door in Brighton.... probably not to everyones taste but looking forward to it. Fingers crossed there are no issues with the car, it's due it's MOT a few days before hand and it's a fucker every year to get through
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Boxer Rebellion were very good, mentioned before the Brudenell is a great small venue. Leeds match on Sat, Ireland stuffed Scotland in the rugby & all trains, planes & automobiles were on time all weekend. Cracking time.
Keeping The Faith
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Next gig Teenage Fanclub at the Brudenell 👍 Then Sergio Mendes at the Barbican and Big Star in Valencia :)
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Shed Seven at The Tramshed, Cardiff last night 👍

A band who always deliver a really good show. Rick Witter always ensures a bit of inbetween song interaction with the crowd, as opposed to minimal chat and one song straight into the next.

DEA4A835-ED75-433D-80DD-7BDBBA1AE8C5.jpeg
D50B345F-2794-48E6-B49C-E00165001BDF.jpeg
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Did the Vivaldi four seasons by candlelight at Ripon cathedral last night, absolutely brilliant, acoustics were amazing, the whole concert was just superb
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

The candlelight concerts have become a big thing now, went to see The Music of Hans Zimmer in St Anne’s Cathedal in Belfast last year & it was very good as well. No heat on so it was Baltic though. 🥶
Keeping The Faith
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Aye everyone was well wrapped up like, a hip flask was just the ticket as well :tup:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"