Leeds Utd 0-2 Manchester Utd - Post Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd 0-2 Manchester Utd - Post Match Debate

Post by Carrick Dave »

Our defense has been progressively looking better ever since Wober was brought in. Apart from a couple of wayward passes he has added a solidness back there that we have been missing.
Again in no way do I claim to be a tactical genius but the only difference I saw today was that we were not as frenetic in our closing down way up the pitch.
Can any one tell me what else we did different today? (Honest question).

I thought the reason Gnonto was less involved going forward, particularly in the first half, was that he had been tasked with lying deeper to help protect Firpo with Sancho on that side. A small defensive tweak, and a trade-off against more penetration from the left, but different to what we've done previously.

Sorry, screwed up the quote system.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Manchester Utd Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

BobHirst wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:33 pm Our defense has been progressively looking better ever since Wober was brought in. Apart from a couple of wayward passes he has added a solidness back there that we have been missing.
Again in no way do I claim to be a tactical genius but the only difference I saw today was that we were not as frenetic in our closing down way up the pitch.
Our defensive positioning jumped a couple of levels though, Wober perhaps the least of the back 4 yesterday with a bad error and some poor passing out. We didn't defend quite as narrowly as we have, players seemed to know where they should be. Manure weren't able to break and play across the front four which was a massive weakness under JM
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:49 pm Have to be honest, I didn’t hear anything untoward from either set of fans…..

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-n ... -statement
Apparently the Munich/Galatasaray chants were from the South Stand & their lot in the West Stand.

I rarely hear the chanting in the SS from the kop, Barlow.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:15 pm Apparently the Munich/Galatasaray chants were from the South Stand & their lot in the West Stand.

I rarely hear the chanting in the SS from the kop, Barlow.
Oh right, as I say didn’t hear anything untoward myself.

I can hear what the South Stand are singing, it generally filters over our way and we join in and vice versa. I’d never join in anything like that though, disgraceful.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Its shocking that a small minority on both sides can chant stuff like that and think its ok.
Unfortunately that's football for you these days and these types of so called fans wouldnt bat an eyelid if they were banned. They would just turn up outside the ground on certain match days looking to cause trouble.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:23 pm Oh right, as I say didn’t hear anything untoward myself.

I can hear what the South Stand are singing, it generally filters over our way and we join in and vice versa. I’d never join in anything like that though, disgraceful.
I must be going deaf :lol:

Nor me, just like the Jimmy Savile chants :x
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:17 pm I'm still not confident against lesser opposition. The two Scum games have been consistent with what we've seen all season. We do well against teams that are more expansive and play out from the back.
It certainly falls into that potential category but I do think the way we played, attacking wise was going back more to teh Bielsa way than the Marsch way, people moving for each other dragging the opposition around knowing where each other was etc rather than 5 players all within a few yards of each other. I enjoyed a lot of our attacking play today. Defensively for the main part we looked more secure too. I definitely feel the players are edging back towards the style of play we had success with previously.

The only real concern for me was that for the second successive game we looked out of gas from around the 60 minute mark. Not really sure why that should be. Would be interesting to hear from players like Ayling as to if they felt they were as fit now as they had been previously.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:06 pm Our defensive positioning jumped a couple of levels though, Wober perhaps the least of the back 4 yesterday with a bad error and some poor passing out. We didn't defend quite as narrowly as we have, players seemed to know where they should be. Manure weren't able to break and play across the front four which was a massive weakness under JM
:tup:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:43 pm We may have drawn the game with Paddy & Jack on the pitch as we were well-organised, once both were subbed we were back to looking like a Marsch team, a complete mess!
A well made point and a lot of people don't see the corelation between looking more vulnerable defensively and taking 2 attacking players off. The Bamford for Rutter switch reminded me so much of the Bamford and Nketiah situation. With Nketiah on the pitch we were more efficient in taking our chances but because Bamford wasn't on the pitch we created less chances as a team and also were more vulnerbale defensively.

I have made the point that we have been looking more like a Bielsa team and less like a Marsch team the last couple of games, more so today, but in taking Bamford and Harrison off it was taking 2 players who could play the Bielsa way off. You then basically had only Ayling and Koch as experienced Bielsa players left on the pitch (Summerville and Firpo having limited playine experience under Bielsa).
Phild
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Phild »

We all talk of a lack of quality.
For me By far the biggest culprit is Jack Harrison.
Take the midweek game. 3 great counter attack opportunities, and with plenty of time, he is wasteful.
Today when he robs Maguire I for one expected that outcome.
Summerville and Gnonto have moments in games , unfortunately he has none and hasn’t had sine West Ham last season.
Hopefully third time lucky this Summer and we off load.
Was hoping our new record signing would give us what we have been missing but not looking likely.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Phild wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:26 pm We all talk of a lack of quality.
Take the midweek game. 3 great counter attack opportunities, and with plenty of time, he is wasteful.
Summerville and Gnonto have moments in games , unfortunately he has none and hasn’t had sine West Ham last season.
Was hoping our new record signing would give us what we have been missing but not looking likely.
Well to start with, Brentford last season... plus he was impactful the start of this with a goal and three assists in the three opening games
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Totally agree - I want to see the back of Harrison. A totally overrated player by many. City knew that he would never make a top player.

Mind you, there are some on here that rated Roberts and Llorente highly as well.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:22 pm It was a spectacularly bad decision by Marsch - one that may yet get us relegated.

Problem is that Bamford is a massively overrated player - he always dines out with the fans based on that one season playing in empty stadiums. In truth he is a journeyman player - always was before he joined Leeds. That one season was a freak - like Radacanu winning the US Open. It happens in sport.

No idea about Rutter - at the moment looks like another Orta gamble to me based on masses of stats in spreadsheets.
Off topic but Emma will be fine. She was just 18, I watched all her Wimbledon qualifiers that year and the US Open. She just needs to beef up a bit (like us) and find the right team behind her i.e coaching team ( again like us)....as I say, she'll be fine, not so sure about Leeds United.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Welcome Phil :tup:

We became worse when Jack was subbed today.

However, I do understand where you are coming from, though. Harrison frustrates the hell out of me!
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Decision making every time - if he has time on the ball he tends to over think and ends up choosing the wrong option. Better when he just plays instinctively. His first touch can be world class his second can be conference standard.
Watching him look to the heavens is all too commonplace.
If he can sort out his head he would be quality. But how long have we been saying this.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

BobHirst wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:33 pm Our defense has been progressively looking better ever since Wober was brought in. Apart from a couple of wayward passes he has added a solidness back there that we have been missing.
Seriously Bob, can you not see nothing ? (Honest question).
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:17 am Seriously Bob, can you not see nothing ? (Honest question).
As I said, it was obvious that we cut out a lot of the headless chicken pressing but I didn't see much more. Gnonto still clung to the sideline although as someone pointed out, he did help Junior out a little more. Summerville maybe played a little wider than the right midfielder has been doing. Ayling came forward like he does. The CBs were steady (Wobers influence). Adams and McKennie were pretty solid in midfield. Adams like he has been all season and Mckennie looking like he may be a good partner in there. Harrison played like Harrison and Bamford played like Bamford. Firpo was Firpo. Honest reply.
That's what I saw. What about you?
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:11 pm Off topic but Emma will be fine. She was just 18, I watched all her Wimbledon qualifiers that year and the US Open. She just needs to beef up a bit (like us) and find the right team behind her i.e coaching team ( again like us)....as I say, she'll be fine, not so sure about Leeds United.
:roflmao: To be honest, I've more faith in Emma than in Leeds United right now..I think she will come good again - you can't win a Grand Slam aged 18 and not be something special.

Seriously - our big problem is a lack of a cutting edge, and I don't trust either Bamford or Harrison to provide it. We need upgrades on those two, and I'm not sure what the thinking was with bringing Rutter in. He's a completely unknown factor at a time when we need certainty. Only Victor will know the answer to that one...
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:23 am :roflmao: To be honest, I've more faith in Emma than in Leeds United right now..I think she will come good again - you can't win a Grand Slam aged 18 and not be something special.

Seriously - our big problem is a lack of a cutting edge, and I don't trust either Bamford or Harrison to provide it. We need upgrades on those two, and I'm not sure what the thinking was with bringing Rutter in. He's a completely unknown factor at a time when we need certainty. Only Victor will know the answer to that one...

Oh no he won't.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)