Cricket 2023/2024

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: England Cricket 2023

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:50 pm The difference was 2 India batsmen made big scores. Only one batsman passed 50 in every innings. The difference was ours were 2 70's both from Crawley. They had a hundred and a double hundred.

One of the commentators (maybe Morgan I don't remember) was knocking Stokes a bit. Saying that he only has two gears - 1st and 5th. He seems to play in 1st (like yesterday) and suddenly jumps to 5th when it's a lost cause. And also that he needs to be a little more aggressive earlier in his innings. I agree with that with a little caution. Stokes seems to be a player that needs a little time at the wicket to get in his groove. But once he finds it he's immense.
I saw that on the Beeb website earlier. But didn't have time to read it.

Luckily my 4 am alarm is 8pm. Then a struggle to stay awake until 3 am.

Makes some really good points. Especially about the batting and specifically Root. We need that guy who was scoring 100's and a 200 against India.

Don't know about playing all 4 spinners. For me, we should only play 2, with Root as the 3rd and an extra seamer.

Been a great series so far. Hopefully it continues. I do worry about Kohli coming back. And I do worry that we might lose the series 4-1. But thankfully Ben Stokes has more confidence than I do.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Great innings from Ben (the other one) to hopefully get close to their total.

WE NEED AN INNINGS FROM YOU JOE !!! I'M ROOTING FOR YA !!!
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:16 pm Great innings from Ben (the other one) to hopefully get close to their total.

WE NEED AN INNINGS FROM YOU JOE !!! I'M ROOTING FOR YA !!!
Couldn't stay up last night. India were 7 down when I went to bed. Since it starts at 8 pm, I'll definitely get to see us bat tonight.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:45 pm Couldn't stay up last night. India were 7 down when I went to bed. Since it starts at 8 pm, I'll definitely get to see us bat tonight.
I won't be getting up at 4am here unless we're still in with a shout in the final innings.

Joe needs to stay in and find some form.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:57 pm I won't be getting up at 4am here unless we're still in with a shout in the final innings.

Joe needs to stay in and find some form.
I try and prioritize my sleeps over who is batting.

Opposite end of the clock for us over here. Since start is 8pm, easier to watch the morning session. For you it's easier to watch the evening session.

EDIT

Damn we have the early kick off tomorrow. Don't know I'll manage much cricket with a 4:30 a.m. start
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Missed opportunity by England to get close to or even overtake the India score today. It's going to be a tight match as India do not have Ashwin in their bowling attack for the rest of this match as he has left to team to be with his ill mum. Best wishes to him. If India get a lead of around 350ish by Tea tomorrow England will be up against it and playing for a draw - Bazball allowing!

In India at the moment so timings not too shabby to watch some Test cricket which finishes around 5pm. Too bloody hot to be outdoors @ 30+ degrees in the afternoon so what is a bloke to do? Test cricket here is mostly the same pictures you are getting but obviously all in Hindi - which is an interesting experience. Thankfully saved from the very boring and blinkered Alistair Cook and Steve Finn viewpoints :lol:

Today is an extra bonus as the Plymouth game kicks off here at 6pm, which, her indoors allowing, I am hoping to stream before evening meal! :) It's a hard life but someone has to put up with it. :)
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Even though we probably only have Brook and we are in India, i still feel Root needs dropping now, he's not been right for yonks.

But the fact we're against spin and it's Joe means he won't be replaced.

It would buck him up though, complacency has crept in.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Dan Lawrence is perhaps another.

;@)
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

Where's the rain ?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Terrible performance today and blew a really good position. Makes it very likely we will lose as our bowlers have had little rest after being in the field for 1 1/2 days. i think complacency/over confidence set in after hearing that the Indian bowler was going to be missing.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

weasel wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:52 am Terrible performance today and blew a really good position. Makes it very likely we will lose as our bowlers have had little rest after being in the field for 1 1/2 days. i think complacency/over confidence set in after hearing that the Indian bowler was going to be missing.
I went to bed after the Stokes dismissal. Kind of did me a favour. I got 5 hours sleep before getting up for the early kick off.

This has been really poor from England. This test and the last. And a huge missed opportunity. India has a lot of players missing. We've lost Brook and Leach. India is missing more. And now they've been reduced to 10 men in this match. I'm disappointed as this was a great opportunity. Once again. today, we only had one man pass 50. That's happened in all 5 batting innings in this series. Only one man has passed 50 in every innings. That's a big failure by the batting in my opinion.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

England have been w**k return to type, and Bairstow needs dropping. If Root can't step up in this innings, then he needs to go as well.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Overman wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:35 am England have been w**k return to type, and Bairstow needs dropping. If Root can't step up in this innings, then he needs to go as well.
Just ludicrous. They go from Duckett swashbuckling and flaying India all over to then coming back on the third day, going into their shell after Root is out and try to play the 'normal' way and get skittled. Then come out again today trying to be defensive, no runs in the first couple of overs - has that ever happened under Stokes? - and what happens the wickets fall. They are sh*te when they try to play defensive.

46-4 after 18 overs. Trundling along at 2.5 runs per over trying to play defensive.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Be just like Joe now to carry his bat and make a thankless 150

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:47 am Just ludicrous. They go from Duckett swashbuckling and flaying India all over to then coming back on the third day, going into their shell after Root is out and try to play the 'normal' way and get skittled. Then come out again today trying to be defensive, no runs in the first couple of overs - has that ever happened under Stokes? - and what happens the wickets fall. They are sh*te when they try to play defensive.

46-4 after 18 overs. Trundling along at 2.5 runs per over trying to play defensive.
What are your thoughts on Joe atm, he's the only one i don't think is benefitting from Bazball coz he's class anyway, but, and it's quite a big but, I read somewhere yesterday that his average is actually up since Baz came in :shock: I'm struggling to believe that that's true, but it was on the BBC, i still feel he could pick and choose the better shots myself.

I adore Bazball, but should it be there in all it's glory constantly ? I also agree we're feckin terrible at any sort of defending.

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:04 am What are your thoughts on Joe atm, he's the only one i don't think is benefitting from Bazball coz he's class anyway, but, and it's quite a big but, I read somewhere yesterday that his average is actually up since Baz came in :shock: I'm struggling to believe that that's true, but it was on the BBC, i still feel he could pick and choose the better shots myself.

I adore Bazball, but should it be there in all it's glory constantly ? I also agree we're feckin terrible at any sort of defending.
It needs to be there in all its glory because when we try to play the 'normal' way we are s**t at it. We were s**t doing it before and we're s**t doing it now. It's like with Duckett, he can't play defensively so at some point a fairly innocuos delivery will get him out. So make the most of what you can. Probably on average he might say be out every 30 overs so if he nurdles along trying to play defensive at a run rate of 3 an over he will make 45. Slash it around, like he did the other day and he makes 100+

All these players, with the exception of Root and Foakes aren't able to play defensively.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:37 am It needs to be there in all its glory because when we try to play the 'normal' way we are s**t at it. We were s**t doing it before and we're s**t doing it now. It's like with Duckett, he can't play defensively so at some point a fairly innocuos delivery will get him out. So make the most of what you can. Probably on average he might say be out every 30 overs so if he nurdles along trying to play defensive at a run rate of 3 an over he will make 45. Slash it around, like he did the other day and he makes 100+

All these players, with the exception of Root and Foakes aren't able to play defensively.
That's what i mean, i think Joes just joining in the fun for the sake of it, like he doesn't wanna miss out on it, when he could be playing something in between.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I just feel Joe has the ability to be and look world class by staying around and punishing bad balls with beautiful shots, which in themselves would add to how Bazball could look, i think it most definitely helps others to play loose, but not Joe, i feel it affects his concentration, concentration that other cricketers don't have.

When was the last time we had such a good natural talent that can score sublime centuries at a canter, trying to hit more than he should doesn't do him any good.

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Embarrassing from our national cricket team once again.
ShaunL
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by ShaunL »

Time to bring in some new blood.
Playing like millionaires stupid shots , run out in test cricket a no no.
Number 10 top scores with the bat