The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 25th January) - Fabrizio Romano: McKennie agrees personal terms with Leeds

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 25th January) - Fabrizio Romano: McKennie agrees personal terms with Leeds

Post by Clitheroe White »

Pierro59 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:18 pm Its ok bringing in all of these new players but still have little confidence in Marsch getting the best out of them.
That is the million $$$ question...I agree with your view btw.
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 25th January) - Fabrizio Romano: McKennie agrees personal terms with Leeds

Post by Clitheroe White »

geeno_philly wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:50 pm I worry that he is either 1 dimensional, or no dimensional to fit what we need. I belieive he and Adams will calm everything down (not want I want from a viewing perspective) and be more disciplined. Now to take a flyer on a creative attacking force...
I think that's a good point, and fits Marsch one dimensional tactics. Creativity seems to happen when the players ignore the plan and just "do their thing"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 25th January) McKennie discussing terms with Orta

Post by Kennyb41 »

SaraM wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:45 am Don't know anything about the player, but I really don't think we should be putting all our eggs in the USA/ Marsch basket. It's starting to feel more like a marketing ploy than a management strategy.

£35 is a good price for Jack, but I wouldn't sell, especially not to a direct competitor.

Might have to stop posting soon and just read you and Weasel.

If i remember rightly re McKnnie, he struck me as USA's biggest threat against us in the WC, a loan seems a no brainer rather than forking out whatever for someone that might fail in the Prem.

Jack's a valuable squad/team player for us but like someone has pointed out we seem to now have ample in that area if all are fit, and i think Jack'll struggle to be a favourite of Jesse's, he has others in front of him i feel.

£35m and Newcastle for him would be better for him and us.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Pierro59 wrote:Its ok bringing in all of these new players but still have little confidence in Marsch getting the best out of them. We have so much pace in the team but play so narrow and lack the creativity in midfield to unlock the Prem's average defences. How did Georginio not get at least 15 mins on Sunday??
c**k on. You can have the best players but put marsch as manager and he'll soon have them looking like clueless clowns.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

£35Million for Harrison, when do I collect to drop him off !!
If , we get WM , I hope he fits the bill, we don't really need overloading with USA players imho, although competition for places is vital and healthy.
I would have liked Perierra from west brom to replace Pablo and get shut of roberts, but, the old gaffer decided there was no one better in the universe !!
I am more than confident we'll beat Accrington, the score is immaterial as its a lose/lose for us, 0-7 is expected, a loss and it's laughing stock time again.
I don't understand the clamour for Rutter to be given game time against Brentford, ffs, JM can't win can he, hopefully, he'll get some time in the cup but he's only young so why get over excited !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 25th January) McKennie discussing terms with Orta

Post by Leeds1000 »

Clitheroe White wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:13 am Mckennie fits the bill for Marsch style tactics (high pace, combative). Not what I would want which is a ball playing maestro (Pablo-esque).

This all feels very one dimensional

The plan is totally clear...we are aiming to be the biggest EPL club in the USA. Not sure what to feel about that. Really don't want to see us (or any EPL team) going for USA based league matches.
Just behind Wrexham in the popularity stakes.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Clitheroe White wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:13 am Mckennie fits the bill for Marsch style tactics (high pace, combative). Not what I would want which is a ball playing maestro (Pablo-esque).

This all feels very one dimensional

The plan is totally clear...we are aiming to be the biggest EPL club in the USA. Not sure what to feel about that. Really don't want to see us (or any EPL team) going for USA based league matches.
That may be the plan but I hope they realise filling LUFC with the USMNT isn't going to cut it.

They need success to go with it.

Trophies likely

So they need the money to push that.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

McKennie agrees personal terms with Leeds.

We need an intelligent ball playing midfielder not more runners. If Marsch has got any chance of success he needs someone able to open up teams with the killer ball. We just don't have anyone good enough at the moment altho tbf to Jack he has been trying of late.

Foxes line up audacious Harrison bid.

I'll drive him there myself. Joking apart Jack would be a fool to go there, there are not going to reach the heights again aytime soon. If it was Newcastle then i could see him jumping at the move.

Leeds face Accrington Stanley in the Cup at the weekend.

Leeds and a cup run.... Tbh Jesse secretly must be licking his lips on such a tie. Another result to keep us unbeaten.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think this is less filling up on US players than it is Jesse sticking to what he knows ....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

SaraM wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:45 am Don't know anything about the player, but I really don't think we should be putting all our eggs in the USA/ Marsch basket. It's starting to feel more like a marketing ploy than a management strategy.

£35 is a good price for Jack, but I wouldn't sell, especially not to a direct competitor.
Not sure what to make of this comment Sara. I hope you are not transferring your animus toward our American Manager onto our American players. I think that would be entirely unfair. The signings of Aaronson, Adams, and potentially McKennie stand on their own merit. All three are good young International players that featured in the World Cup for a Top 15 FIFA ranked side. They were all playing Champion's League football when we acquired them. In the case of Adams and McKennie they were/are performing at top clubs in big five leagues. It seems to me those are the types of signings we should be pursuing. But you are concerned it's just a marketing ploy. Hmm...

Would it be a marketing ploy if Leeds were able to sign a couple more Italian Internationals currently playing in top five leagues at Champion's League Clubs? After all we do have an Italian owner. Or is this just a standard that we apply to Americans? And if that's the case WHY do you feel that way?
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:00 pm Not sure what to make of this comment Sara. I hope you are not transferring your animus toward our American Manager onto our American players. I think that would be entirely unfair. The signings of Aaronson, Adams, and potentially McKennie stand on their own merit. All three are good young International players that featured in the World Cup for a Top 15 FIFA ranked side. They were all playing Champion's League football when we acquired them. In the case of Adams and McKennie they were/are performing at top clubs in big five leagues. It seems to me those are the types of signings we should be pursuing. But you are concerned it's just a marketing ploy. Hmm...

Would it be a marketing ploy if Leeds were able to sign a couple more Italian Internationals currently playing in top five leagues at Champion's League Clubs? After all we do have an Italian owner. Or is this just a standard that we apply to Americans? And if that's the case WHY do you feel that way?
Tbf to Sara unless you sign superstars Italian fans wouldn't care (and they don't really have any global superstars anymore.

But the average casual American football fan and broadcasting network may take more interest in a club if they have marketable American names in them especially with the World Cup in 4 years.

Having basically the USMNT midfield in your side would drive interest in a way that fits with the narrative that the 49ers would want to drive interest in LUFC in America.

As a fan aslong as they play well I don't care if there American, Canadian, Moroccan.
Signed

King Cjay

Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:23 am Wham stadium...

Will Jesse release his young guns? Let the puninng begin!

McKennie... nice hairdo all it needs is a few flashing LEDs
He did that Last Christmas, Ian...........and Come On they were A Ray Of Sunshine :)

............abeit rather than playing so narrow, they need to given a bit more Freedom.
Gabolt
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Gabolt »

faaip wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:10 pm I think this is less filling up on US players than it is Jesse sticking to what he knows ....
I don’t think Jesse has coached McKennie at any level. Only link is same passport. McKennie is not an RB product, he played at Schalke and Juventus.

McKennie is nothing like the other two Americans at Leeds either. He has that little bit of swagger to him. He was USA captain before Adams. He lost the captains armband for sneaking women back to hotel after curfew. He isn’t a troublemaker but he’s also not the shy and retiring type. Adams was a very good choice to replace him.

Jesse and Orta are probably only interested because he will be coming at a steep discount as he was one of the players Juve got caught paying off books and they need to sell. He was looking at Champions League teams so getting an agreement from him is good business. He’s quality. I doubt he’s coming for Jesse. More likely Adams. Although I’m sure he’d let Aaronson tag along on curry night.

If a new manager comes in and wants to ship out Marsch’s “system” players McKennie probably wouldn’t be on that list.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:15 pm Tbf to Sara unless you sign superstars Italian fans wouldn't care (and they don't really have any global superstars anymore.

But the average casual American football fan and broadcasting network may take more interest in a club if they have marketable American names in them especially with the World Cup in 4 years.

Having basically the USMNT midfield in your side would drive interest in a way that fits with the narrative that the 49ers would want to drive interest in LUFC in America.

As a fan aslong as they play well I don't care if there American, Canadian, Moroccan.
My question to Sara was a fair one. And I'm pretty sure she can explain her own comments.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Gabolt wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:27 pm I don’t think Jesse has coached McKennie at any level. Only link is same passport. McKennie is not an RB product, he played at Schalke and Juventus.

McKennie is nothing like the other two Americans at Leeds either. He has that little bit of swagger to him. He was USA captain before Adams. He lost the captains armband for sneaking women back to hotel after curfew. He isn’t a troublemaker but he’s also not the shy and retiring type. Adams was a very good choice to replace him.

Jesse and Orta are probably only interested because he will be coming at a steep discount as he was one of the players Juve got caught paying off books and they need to sell. He was looking at Champions League teams so getting an agreement from him is good business. He’s quality. I doubt he’s coming for Jesse. More likely Adams. Although I’m sure he’d let Aaronson tag along on curry night.

If a new manager comes in and wants to ship out Marsch’s “system” players McKennie probably wouldn’t be on that list.
Spot on. Good post!!
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Is it a steep discount, what we’re rumoured to be paying for McKennie. 22million sounds cheap I suppose
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:28 pm My question to Sara was a fair one. And I'm pretty sure she can explain her own comments.
cant-handle-the-truth.gif
cant-handle-the-truth.gif (1.09 MiB) Viewed 372 times
Signed

King Cjay

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:00 pm Not sure what to make of this comment Sara. I hope you are not transferring your animus toward our American Manager onto our American players. I think that would be entirely unfair. The signings of Aaronson, Adams, and potentially McKennie stand on their own merit. All three are good young International players that featured in the World Cup for a Top 15 FIFA ranked side. They were all playing Champion's League football when we acquired them. In the case of Adams and McKennie they were/are performing at top clubs in big five leagues. It seems to me those are the types of signings we should be pursuing. But you are concerned it's just a marketing ploy. Hmm...

Pretty much what Cjay said; you can't help wondering if there isn't an eye on pushing Leeds as the American fan's PL team of choice, which would be a business decision rather than a footballing one.

I don't think you can draw an analogy between American and European players because the former are far less common at this level. That's no slight on the players themselves, just a factual observation. Are there any other PL teams with three American first team players, alongside two American coaches and soon to be American owners? Were there no others of equivalent value and quality available?

As to WHY the potential Americanisation of our club concerns me; I suppose it's primarily a fear of the loss of our historical identity. During my lifetime, many aspects of our society have become progressively more Americanised; language, film, food, music, politics... I see it as a trend towards global homogenisation, a kind of McWorld imperialism. I strongly prefer variety and diversity. No doubt you will tell me that American culture itself is founded in diversity, and it is, but that's not what is being spread by the forces of global corporatism, and US foreign policy over the last several decades.

The US as a global superpower has imposed its values and its culture everywhere it has gone. Maybe you see this as a good thing? Maybe you feel American values and culture are inherently superior, and the rest of the world should feel grateful for being subsumed in this way. If so, I see it differently, and we will have to agree to differ.

Again, please don't misinterpret this as any kind of 'animus' against Americans themselves. I listen to American music and podcasts, read American books, watch American films, have American relatives and friends. But I don't want the whole world to become America, and I don't want Leeds to become a club with an American identity.

I suspect you're not going to be able to hear this without getting defensive, but that in itself is a key to understanding what I'm saying. I couldn't imagine I'd be having this conversation with a fan from any other country.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Fair play Sara. That is a quality answer. I’m a little sick of the anti American theme. Total and utter bollocks.
Sorry, I’m just not as eloquent as you.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:26 pm Fair play Sara. That is a quality answer. I’m a little sick of the anti American theme. Total and utter bollocks.
Sorry, I’m just not as eloquent as you.
You just need to swear a bit more!