Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Bamford starts for Leeds

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Bamford starts for Leeds

Post by Boo Radley »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:33 pm That is the trouble with a forum. Some comments can easily be misinterpreted. You mentioned s**t 5 times so I said that’s a load of s**t mate. See. Humour.
We have to keep a sense of humour as Leeds fans don’t we.
I have remind myself of that Jay, especially since my wife has long given up saying it when we lose.

Deep breath…… and out :? ;-)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Boo Radley wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:38 pm I have remind myself of that Jay, especially since my wife has long given up saying it when we lose.

Deep breath…… and out :? ;-)
Always listen to the wife Boo. Women are always right. Even when they’re wrong.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:33 pm
We have to keep a sense of humour as Leeds fans don’t we.
No! I don't find anything funny at all about what's going on with Leeds Utd at this moment in time.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:22 pm What exactly is the discussion between Aaronson & Harrison over free kicks & corners. And tapping of the head. What is that. The tap head rub tummy thing we used to do as kids.
Why doesn’t Aaronson say to Harrison “Harrison” “Yes Aaronson” “kick the f**king ball over the first defender” “what’s a defender”
We ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:44 pm A definite red card imo

Screenshot 2022-10-09 21.43.33.png
That was the first. Second was just as bad if not also a straight red card. VAR could have called the 2nd challenge or called the ref to the monitor.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:16 pm Who is this Noone? If he’s any good can we sign him?
Any good.

Well if he doesnt play for Leeds he must be. :roflmao:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
LoinerBoy
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by LoinerBoy »

Sorry, a bit late to comment on the game but it really was "a game of two halves", where we dominated the first half and lost our way in the second.
The first half saw us pressing hard, running at everything, beautiful one touch football... but only one goal to show for all that effort! Palace get one real chance and, bang, it's in. How often have we seen that scenario in the past!
Second half, we're clearly running out of steam and Palace are taking advantage by threading long balls through and over our midfield out wide. Here's where I think Marsch should have reacted with substitutions at least twenty minutes before he did (excluding Summerville for Bamford at 62 mins, which even so, should have come at the beginning of the second half).. We have a subs bench full of young talented players so why not use them? Klich for Aaronson...really? We have an Italy international player in Gnonto but he doesn't get a run?
IMO Marsch has to react much better and more quickly to what's happening on the pitch for all to see. It's all well and good to be ranting and raving up and down the pitch (in contrast to the calm, thoughtful Viera on the sideline) but he has to deliver the tactical goods appropriately and at the right time!
Lastly, playing Rodrigo behind Bamford just doesn't work. I don't think that Bamford is the striker we need. Rodrigo however, does have that natural, opportunistic striker's instinct that's lacking in Bamford, but we only see it when he's up front and Bamford's not playing.
Anyway, that's what I think and be damned :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

LoinerBoy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:38 am Sorry, a bit late to comment on the game but it really was "a game of two halves", where we dominated the first half and lost our way in the second.
The first half saw us pressing hard, running at everything, beautiful one touch football... but only one goal to show for all that effort! Palace get one real chance and, bang, it's in. How often have we seen that scenario in the past!
Second half, we're clearly running out of steam and Palace are taking advantage by threading long balls through and over our midfield out wide. Here's where I think Marsch should have reacted with substitutions at least twenty minutes before he did (excluding Summerville for Bamford at 62 mins, which even so, should have come at the beginning of the second half).. We have a subs bench full of young talented players so why not use them? Klich for Aaronson...really? We have an Italy international player in Gnonto but he doesn't get a run?
IMO Marsch has to react much better and more quickly to what's happening on the pitch for all to see. It's all well and good to be ranting and raving up and down the pitch (in contrast to the calm, thoughtful Viera on the sideline) but he has to deliver the tactical goods appropriately and at the right time!
Lastly, playing Rodrigo behind Bamford just doesn't work. I don't think that Bamford is the striker we need. Rodrigo however, does have that natural, opportunistic striker's instinct that's lacking in Bamford, but we only see it when he's up front and Bamford's not playing.
Anyway, that's what I think and be damned :)
Good post Loiner.

Welcome to MOT.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Another season and the club is once more putting all of it’s strikers faith in Bamford it seems.

He had one brilliant season and he’s not got close to that. Injuries aside, how many people think he’ll achieve that same level?

The club are hoping he does, and of course so do I, but sorry, I don’t see it happening.

If we don’t get one of Gnonto, Perkins or Gelhardt playing regular and scoring, we are going to be in deep sh.t again once more.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:46 am Another season and the club is once more putting all of it’s strikers faith in Bamford it seems.

He had one brilliant season and he’s not got close to that. Injuries aside, how many people think he’ll achieve that same level?

The club are hoping he does, and of course so do I, but sorry, I don’t see it happening.

If we don’t get one of Gnonto, Perkins or Gelhardt playing regular and scoring, we are going to be in deep sh.t again once more.
When will our board learn?

Radz claimed they had learned lessons after last season's fiasco.

bull :poo: once again.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:00 amWe ?
Yeah. You know. Tap your head with one hand and do a circular motion on your belly with the other. No?
A southern thing most probably
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:18 am Yeah. You know. Tap your head with one hand and do a circular motion on your belly with the other. No?
A southern thing most probably
Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be working.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:46 am Another season and the club is once more putting all of it’s strikers faith in Bamford it seems.

Actually he's a better footballer this season technically but he's nowhere near game fit. The only way to get game fit is to play games so we're hopefully banking game time for him for the future. It' a risk as an injury blows that out of the water.

I'd like to see a run of Paddy second half games, either on at the half or 30 minutes.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

faaip wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:00 am Actually he's a better footballer this season technically but he's nowhere near game fit. The only way to get game fit is to play games so we're hopefully banking game time for him for the future. It' a risk as an injury blows that out of the water.

I'd like to see a run of Paddy second half games, either on at the half or 30 minutes.
Just seems to me the club has got all their bets firmly on Bamford getting a bag full of goals this season.

Fitness is of course the first thing to get right, and I agree he needs to come on for a half. The mere fact that he’s starting already reinforces my thoughts that he is the clubs great, and more worryingly, their primary hope.
daveol
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by daveol »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:22 pm What exactly is the discussion between Aaronson & Harrison over free kicks & corners. And tapping of the head. What is that. The tap head rub tummy thing we used to do as kids.
Why doesn’t Aaronson say to Harrison “Harrison” “Yes Aaronson” “kick the f**king ball over the first defender” “what’s a defender”
This is surely the most frustrating thing to watch. It's laughable as if they're planning some training ground set-piece masterclass and the ball just gets headed back out again :lol: Let one of them take it and have the other piss off into a more useful position!

The second half was a shocker. Had chances in the first half that should have been put away. Bamford's effort when through on goal was pathetic. Sonny and Gnoto must be shaking their heads seeing Klich and others coming on off the bench. If they're good enough they're old enough, give them a chance.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

daveol wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:58 am This is surely the most frustrating thing to watch. It's laughable as if they're planning some training ground set-piece masterclass and the ball just gets headed back out again :lol: Let one of them take it and have the other piss off into a more useful position!

The second half was a shocker. Had chances in the first half that should have been put away. Bamford's effort when through on goal was pathetic. Sonny and Gnoto must be shaking their heads seeing Klich and others coming on off the bench. If they're good enough they're old enough, give them a chance.
Exactly. I imagine it’s inspired by yours truly.
Can we really blame Marsch for ALL this though. His players could & should have hauled him out of trouble yesterday. Coopers stupid errors. Bamford 🙄
Would Gnonto or JG have gobbled that chance up. We’ll never know. Like you say if you’re an 18 year old or whatever on the bench & desperate to come on and your grandad gets the nod 😂
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:25 am Exactly. I imagine it’s inspired by yours truly.
Can we really blame Marsch for ALL this though. His players could & should have hauled him out of trouble yesterday. Coopers stupid errors. Bamford 🙄
Would Gnonto or JG have gobbled that chance up. We’ll never know. Like you say if you’re an 18 year old or whatever on the bench & desperate to come on and your grandad gets the nod 😂
JG missed a big chance v Everton, so I doubt it.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:07 am Just seems to me the club has got all their bets firmly on Bamford getting a bag full of goals this season.

Fitness is of course the first thing to get right, and I agree he needs to come on for a half. The mere fact that he’s starting already reinforces my thoughts that he is the clubs great, and more worryingly, their primary hope.
Of course they have. Just like they gambled on Forshaw last season, they haven't learned their lesson at all. But that's what stupid people do.

Everyone forgets Bamford topped the table for big chances missed that season as well.
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

Gnonto looked lively when he came on as a sub for the Italian national team.
No reason he couldn't do the same and make an impact in a Leeds shirt.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Oh dear, oh dear!

For the first time in a while I was able to watch the whole match legitimately, live on Sky (instead of having to watch on a dodgy stream) having been visiting friends in Scarborough, and oh what a disappointment.

We hit the ground running with Roca and especially Adams nicking the ball back as soon as we lost it and were totally dominant, both in possession and territory, for the first 25 minutes or so. It was no surprise when we scored (all credit to a brilliant run by Aaronson) and had another great chance for a second, fluffed by our singularly one footed striker Bamford - had he been able to use his right foot it would have been a certain goal.

But from that moment on Palace wrested the initiative slowly but surely, got back into the game with another badly defended set piece and went on to completely control the game.

The second half was awful from our point of view, we just totally went to pieces. We were planless, clueless and simply not at the races. In recent defeats and poor performance draws, we have been able to absolve the players somewhat due to some plainly bias officiating, but not this time, I’m afraid. We never had a sniff for 50 minutes, no shots on target, no shots even in a whole half of football and from the moment the second half kicked off there was only going to be one winner!

That match was as disappointing as they come and we need to improve by at least 100% to stand a chance of avoiding another relegation scrap. It was a real eye opener and now I’m thinking that, even before the halfway point of the season, I might have to accede to Sara’s point of view and conclude that the team and Marsch’s tactics are really not good enough to compete.