Mateo Joseph Fernandez

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Mateo Joseph Fernandez

Post by The Subhuman »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:43 am His build up of muscle has certainly helped to cope with the rigours of the championship. He did well and although he isn't going to displace Bamford just yet its nice to know there is another one we can count on.
The better Piroe can't displace Paddy atm ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

There are key moments in a players career, the work it takes to get a chance to play for the first team.
Then taking that chance to impress when selected to get further opportunities. Did Josephs performance show promise?
F.A Cup could provide Mateo with more starts... Was he unlucky against Plymouth???
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I was really impressed with Joseph last night. I remember him knocking in plenty for the 21's last year. This year, he's not had chance to show anything - just 5 minutes off the bench to run around in an unusual formation.

I didn't think he was ready. Thought he'd be another year away. Or that he'd need some time out on loan. But he's shown he can hold his own in this division already. Good strength, positive attitude, and unlucky not to score.

I had him behind Joffy in the pecking order. Seems Farke has Jospeh ahead. Not bad since Joffy has played in the premier league. Still, I thought Joffy showed great promise last night too - also unlucky not to score.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

He's more of a Bamford type AJ i'm presuming that's why he got the nod. Joffy was out on the right last night and did well but he is well down the pecking order if that's where Farke places him. If we are controlling possession and looking for a winner then throwing Joffy into the box will be my choice. I am not sure the kid would want a career like that tho.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Leeds1000 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:54 pm He's more of a Bamford type AJ i'm presuming that's why he got the nod. Joffy was out on the right last night and did well but he is well down the pecking order if that's where Farke places him. If we are controlling possession and looking for a winner then throwing Joffy into the box will be my choice. I am not sure the kid would want a career like that tho.
Yeah I see that. We tried Joffy for a couple of games as a lone striker at the start of last season and he was lost. He seems to need to play as part of a 2 striker system. Piroe and Gnonto are also strikers who seem to need to play as a 2nd striker. And, yes, Joseph seems more of Bamford type who can hold the line on his own.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:18 pm Also that one that was deflected wide was going in or hitting the post .... Unlucky not to have two last night, thought the movement good , loved the pass round the corner and probably got caught offside less than Paddy usually does
I agree I thought he was good last night and would not be surprised if he gets more opportunities as a result. He looked dangerous around the box for the most part.
What he lacks right now is PB’s experience and that is important at this stage of the season, but he certainly made a case for himself.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:52 pm Yeah I see that. We tried Joffy for a couple of games as a lone striker at the start of last season and he was lost. He seems to need to play as part of a 2 striker system. Piroe and Gnonto are also strikers who seem to need to play as a 2nd striker. And, yes, Joseph seems more of Bamford type who can hold the line on his own.
I think in fairness most players looked lost last season under our tactics. The only players it seemed to suit were Rodrigo and Adams. Rodrigo benefitted as he was basically our only player capable of scoring so a lot of it was to try to get the ball to him. Adams looked good because his game was suited to running around chasing players and tackling rather than holding a position.

There is still a very good player in Gelhardt. He did fairly well, not brilliant but reasonably decent, on loan at Sunderland.
"When I spoke to Tony Mowbray, the Sunderland manager, he said that I was supposed to play with Ross Stewart but when he got injured Tony said you're probably going to play up front on your own," Gelhardt told the Yorkshire Evening Post as he looked back on his time at the Stadium of the Light.

"I've played there before, I didn't see it as much of a problem but it was tough some games, big centre-halves, strong and physical. Sometimes it can be lonely up there on your own but I felt as though at the end of the season I got better and got used to it more and I enjoyed it.

"I like getting on the ball and running at defenders.

"As a nine it's sometimes harder because you've got to stretch the game, have your back to goal, bring other people in. I think I benefit from getting the ball deeper and running at defences and trying to make things happen. But I'll play anywhere the manager plays me."
It is just a case of a team getting the best out of him. He is a decent finisher and is also a calm passer in the danger area. He is good on the ball. I would have no qualms about him doing well if he got an extended run at the 10 position.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Gelhardt reminds me of Ross Barkley, very good footballer without a true position. You could say the same of Paddy as a number of managers tried him in a few places, think one actually stuck him on the wing, attacking mid and centre mid too. Geo is another but Farke has got that right, just let him play where he wants, he'll do the rest
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Grew into the game last night.

Fairly quiet goal aside 1st half, but improved 2nd half imo.

Took both goals well.

Made a case for himself for the remainder of the season?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

He did very well considering his lack of minutes, he'll still be 3rd behind Piroe & Bamford
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

mentalcase wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:24 pm He did very well considering his lack of minutes, he'll still be 3rd behind Piroe & Bamford
My thought too. Think Farke will still be reluctant to give him too much responsibility. But he's showed he's a good option. He might start getting longer minutes from the bench than he has before
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

I thought he took his chances very well last night, a true goal scorer. He now needs more minutes so coming off the bench with 30 mins to go etc. Assuming Gelhealdt was injured last night as we had 2 goalkeepers on the bench
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

pjm2019 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:16 pm I thought he took his chances very well last night, a true goal scorer. He now needs more minutes so coming off the bench with 30 mins to go etc. Assuming Gelhealdt was injured last night as we had 2 goalkeepers on the bench
Not sure Gelhardt was mentioned in the post match. But had to be the case otherwise he'd have taken one of the keeper spots

Gruev and Rutter both left off the bench due to niggles

He said Shackleton was ill (again). Nut he was still listed on the bench.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Another impressive cameo.

He's a pest
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've been a fan ever since I saw the highlights before he actually signed.. Exciting talent. More stunning work from Victor, where would we be without him.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:46 pm I've been a fan ever since I saw the highlights before he actually signed.. Exciting talent. More stunning work from Victor, where would we be without him.
If you walk in a room of sh*ts at some point you're bound to slip on one.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Breath of fresh air when he came on, certainly livened everyone up inside the ground on what was a horrible night of football.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:50 pm If you walk in a room of sh*ts at some point you're bound to slip on one.
So in this analogy Rutter & Joseph are shits? Is that correct
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:20 pm So in this analogy Rutter & Joseph are shits? Is that correct
plus Summerville, Struijk, Meslier, Paddy, and others in our current first team squad ...
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:31 pm plus Summerville, Struijk, Meslier, Paddy, and others in our current first team squad ...
Massive pile of shits then.