Wilfried Gnonto

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Re: Wilfried Gnonto

Post by mentalcase »

Cracking effort from Willy tonight, he's actually taking on board what the gaffer is asking for, tracking back and putting a shift in.
Now then, lets see how firpo reacts after DF had a good chat with him in the 2nd half.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Get him in form and he becomes a £30m player again. Wasted on the bench.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Two goals & an assist 8-)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

He's a very different threat to Dan James.

A nice different option.

Really effective coming in from the right to a more dare I say it Marsch position.

Quite narrow at times which suits him.

Yay
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:47 pm He's a very different threat to Dan James.

A nice different option.

Really effective coming in from the right to a more dare I say it Marsch position.

Quite narrow at times which suits him.

Yay
How do you think he would fare on the left?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:00 pm How do you think he would fare on the left?
Better ... and also as a 10. I said last season he can play anywhere across the front 4
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:00 pm How do you think he would fare on the left?
Playing the role Summerville does?

Better I'd think, it's easier for him to spend his time in the middle from the left which is where he wants.

But I do think he is taking up more Buendia type positions now which suits him more than the Dan James impression he was doing before.

Whether Farke and his coaching or natural? No idea.

But imo a noticeable change last few games.

If its DF giving him more freedom then I'm pleased.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:07 pm Playing the role Summerville does?

Better I'd think, it's easier for him to spend his time in the middle from the left which is where he wants.

But I do think he is taking up more Buendia type positions now which suits him more than the Dan James impression he was doing before.

Whether Farke and his coaching or natural? No idea.

But imo a noticeable change last few games.

If its DF giving him more freedom then I'm pleased.
I think that whether it is Farke telling him to do it or Gnonto taking the decision by itself is fairly irrelevant because Farke is ultimately allowing him to do it. We have seen with Farke, with Hjelde as a big example, that if you don't do what he wants you to do you get hooked. I think sometiems Farke allows players to work things out for themselves whilst also having a system in place. You have the structure and responsibility but are also given the freedom to become the best version of yourself.

With Farke it definitely is getting the players to buy into the side before self mentality first and foremost but if you then do that you are trusted with more freedom. Gnonto isn't shirking away from doing the hard graft so he is allowed to do what comes to him naturally, same with Cree, Rutter etc.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Our MOTM in action...killer dance moves, two great goals, and a perfectly-weighted nutmeg assist. What's not to love?

Source: https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1757871415859020077
In Farke we trust...
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Wilfried Gnonto- New contract close

Post by Carrick Dave »

pjm2019 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:56 am Sell him instead of giving him a price rise. He has done nothing when he plays. Waste of money
Hmmm. Is that a bitemark on your ass? :lol:
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

Carrick Dave wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:56 am Hmmm. Is that a bitemark on your ass? :lol:
I must admit his last 3-4 games have been very good. He now tracks back and defends which he never used to do. I like it when he comes off the wing and drives forward towards goal. His shooting has already improved. Lets hope he carries on when he plays. Also good to see James back. Lets also hope Bamford is back soon
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

pjm2019 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:01 am I must admit his last 3-4 games have been very good. He now tracks back and defends which he never used to do. I like it when he comes off the wing and drives forward towards goal. His shooting has already improved. Lets hope he carries on when he plays. Also good to see James back. Lets also hope Bamford is back soon
:lol: :clap: Classy response.

I have to admit I’ve had my doubts at times too, good to see him giving Farke a headache now.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gnonto is back with a bang 8-) Plymouth must be sick of Willy.

17 excellent moments of play
Sublime touch & a scuffed placed strike for his goal.
Two pieces of brilliant defensive work.
Five goals in his last five games

2 poor moments of play
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:23 pm I think that whether it is Farke telling him to do it or Gnonto taking the decision by itself is fairly irrelevant because Farke is ultimately allowing him to do it. We have seen with Farke, with Hjelde as a big example, that if you don't do what he wants you to do you get hooked. I think sometiems Farke allows players to work things out for themselves whilst also having a system in place. You have the structure and responsibility but are also given the freedom to become the best version of yourself.

With Farke it definitely is getting the players to buy into the side before self mentality first and foremost but if you then do that you are trusted with more freedom. Gnonto isn't shirking away from doing the hard graft so he is allowed to do what comes to him naturally, same with Cree, Rutter etc.
He's won me over and has usurped DJ now, i feel a lot of it is DF's work getting his ideas of what he wants and expects over, but the player still has to put it into practise, which he is doing.
Total agreement with your side over self comment, DF's getting the best out of a few of em with ' best version of yourself'

Very calm bloke with a distinct way of managing, firm but fair ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Would it be fair to say DF's shaken off a bit of his ego ?

In fact are there any 'egos' in this team Df's built ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sheff Wed

So much brighter after the break. Flashes of danger in the first half, plenty of it in the second and a really well-taken goal. Deserved an assist for ball to Summerville.

14 excellent actions
5 excellent passes
2 runs
1 defensive block
1 shot blocked
1 sublime pass for Summerville's missed chance
1 excellent well taken goal :soccer:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

MOTM for me ... three sublime passes all of which should have been assists or KC's.. he plays high risk passes but they usually seem to come off. Breaks into space beautifully, the vision is excellent and the finishing often top draw... Gives us a bit more than Dan James, a lot more tools in his toolbox
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:06 am MOTM for me ... three sublime passes all of which should have been assists or KC's.. he plays high risk passes but they usually seem to come off. Breaks into space beautifully, the vision is excellent and the finishing often top draw... Gives us a bit more than Dan James, a lot more tools in his toolbox
I love Dan James, but I thought Gnonto was excellent especially in the second-half, he seems to adapted well to playing on the right, which was an excuse for many when he was struggling.

Great having two players in that position scoring goals & making assists.

James 11 goals 8 assists.

Gnonto 7 goals 2 assists.

Fantastic contribution from our wingers.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Without finding the motm thread, I think Ampadu just pipped Willy for my motm.
Both were the stand out players in the first half and both had a good second half.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:33 am I love Dan James, but I thought Gnonto was excellent especially in the second-half, he seems to adapted well to playing on the right, which was an excuse for many when he was struggling.

Great having two players in that position scoring goals & making assists.

James 11 goals 8 assists.

Gnonto 7 goals 2 assists.

Fantastic contribution from our wingers.
The fact our goals are nicely spread for the most part amongst our main front 6 players is part of the reason why we are riding high. All are capable of scoring at any given time. It is a nice problem for Farke to have. All are fit despite Cry dropping off lately in terms of scoring. Having two on the bench at any given time is a great position to be in as we are now enter the business end of the title race and auto’s.