Leeds Utd 2-1 Wolves Match Thread - TSB at their best with Wolves rants.

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds Utd v Wolverhampton Wanderers Match Thread

Post by Finnatic »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:11 am Even though Marcelo won only five games in the first six months of the season.
As it turned out, if we’d kept him, he only needed three wins and a draw from the final twelve games…or two wins and four draws (which roughly matches your five wins in the previous two thirds of the season).

With quite a few of the injured players coming back soon afterwards I’m convinced he would have kept us up.

This isn’t an anti Marsch post, he’s doing quite well but none of it matters now anyway, yet the old debate had been brought out of moth balls again 😴
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:07 am I thought Jesse did well on Saturday.
The main positive for me was being able to see some attacking intent, and the ability to create and score goals.

Defensively, the shape wasn't there at all. I take Faaip's point about a settled lineup, something we hardly had all last season either, but agree with Weasel that the fundamental cause of our vulnerability is tactical. We aren't going to control games with so little possession either.

I'm not being negative for the sake of it, I'm responding to what I see.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

WestgateRun wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:28 am >Three Wolves players went down in the first ten minutes, their captain started the rotation antics after two minutes. All instigated by their horrible manager Bruno Lage.<

I wouldn't be too bothered if Leeds indulged in a bit of sh*thousery now and again.
The Premier League is professional sport, at the highest level. The primary aim for managers is to get the points and get on the bus.
I understand where you are coming from, Westgate but I would never want Leeds to deploy the blatant cheating/time-wasting tactics of the likes Wolves & Aston Villa.

I used to admire these two clubs, now I detest them, both are game spoilers.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:40 am Constructive criticism. A bit like how we have the positive and negative thread.
Fair enough :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:38 am It wasn't the defence on its own as such but how easily as a team we got carved upon.
Because it's a new defence not yet bedded in. That high line, high press, no full backs thing is going to have teething troubles especially if it's going to be hampered by injury for long periods... It's not far of Bielsa's image of a attack is the best form of defence. Just zonal rather than man.. Any team playing a 6 man interchangeable front line is going to struggle if it doesn't get reps

You said it yourself for Bielsa, last season was about who was missing and when, nothing else.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We had Struijk (not very successfully) and Kristensen as wingers, Rodrigo, Bamford, Aaronson and Harrison all playing AMF/Striker on Saturday. It worked for the most part. Klich, coming on to implement plan B as he plays slightly deeper in centre mid (always his best position) probably still reads the game better than anyone and for me a trope he can't play 90 if needed

I'd imagine plan B also see's wingers on James/Harrison and Summerville, full backs sitting deeper and a midfield triangle... It has a lot of potential imo
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:11 am Even though Marcelo won only five games in the first six months of the season.
Yes.. Absolutely. In fact I think he keeps us up well before Brentford.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

"You've got to love football. We really haven't had a kick in this second half yet we've taken the lead"

Tony Dorigo, during commentary, when we scored in the 74th minute of the match.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

He would've quit once KP was sold lol
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Think Marsch deserves credit for using his bench to wrestle back control inthe 2nd half.

His subs changed the flow of the game and Wolves never got back into it again.

It wasn't perfect defensively but imo that was more individual than systemic errors, maybe individuals not quite familiar with there roles in the system.

Will take time to bed in a new system.

Ultimately every system has flaws though.

I don't think we were as bad defensively as some are making out and that is reflected in the xG against which was our lowest home xG against since December

We are also still missing 6 or 7 injured or suspended players.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:23 am So much negativity on here!

We win our first PL game of the season since our promotion.

A much better performance vs Wolves at ER & also bettered the result than last season, when thanks to Joffy we nicked a draw.

Surely we'll improve our game at Southampton than the dire performance we put in last time we were at St Mary's.
Absolutely.

We didn't win our first game of the season last year until October.
For a long part of the match we looked awful defensively, in my opinion on a par with how we did in the worst performances of last season.
Seriously? Down 4-0 on 15 minutes bad?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:14 pm "You've got to love football. We really haven't had a kick in this second half yet we've taken the lead"

Tony Dorigo, during commentary, when we scored in the 74th minute of the match.
Yet we dominated most of the first with little reward, that's football. Wolves fluked a goal from their first attack, badly mis hit shot goes in off the bar probably the only space Meslier can't get too. In fact it speaks volumes for both Wolves tactically nous to alter the pattern of the game after the half with their changes and ours for reacting to that with the subs that countered those plans... Won't always work, it's football but it tells me a lot.

We maybe had 40 minutes of the first half, and the last 20 of the second. The commentators on several occasions referring to our siege of the Wolves penalty area
Last edited by The Subhuman on Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

faaip wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:27 am We had Struijk (not very successfully) and Kristensen as wingers, Rodrigo, Bamford, Aaronson and Harrison all playing AMF/Striker on Saturday. It worked for the most part. Klich, coming on to implement plan B as he plays slightly deeper in centre mid (always his best position) probably still reads the game better than anyone and for me a trope he can't play 90 if needed

I'd imagine plan B also see's wingers on James/Harrison and Summerville, full backs sitting deeper and a midfield triangle... It has a lot of potential imo
Very astute. I also like the fact that there IS a plan b.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Wolves are mid table, fading but still a tier above us atm. To read some posters here you'd think they were going down, scoring 5 all season. Probably our best result since the season before last. Opening day games are very banana skin like, just ask Liverpool and Villa.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I was really tempted to post 'scrolled past all Faaips posts'

But, i idiotically read them all, there isn't enough time left in the evening to retort.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

I am very encouraged by our opening win, and thought we deserved the win overall against a more fancied Wolves team.

At the same time, Meslier had to be brilliant to keep us in it, so definitely lessons to be learned - specifically in dealing with diagonal switches and balls over the top.

And Lage is a complete @rse, he should be ashamed to show his face after that strop. No sense of irony whatsoever.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:02 pm Absolutely.

We didn't win our first game of the season last year until October.
1-0 vs relegated Watford.
foxy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by foxy »

dangerous to draw any conclusions from just one game but there were more positives than negatives. we had more attacking intent and organisation than throughout marsch's tenure last season and the personnel changes in the second half drove the team on and won the game. the new starters showed flashes of what they can bring and arnesson in particular looked the real deal. against the poorer teams we should have a real chance ( let's see how Southampton Everton and forest go in next few weeks). the defence still looks very open to the counter attack and I do worry how we might be badly turned over by the top teams similar to last year. it will be interesting to see how marsch changes his tactics against them (if at all). we are fortunate to have a relatively easy few games to start with so we can judge more by the time of the international break.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:39 pm
And Lage is a complete @rse, he should be ashamed to show his face after that strop. No sense of irony whatsoever.
Thank god, Lage isn't our coach, one who encourages to cheat to gain results.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:23 pm I was really tempted to post 'scrolled past all Faaips posts'

But, i idiotically read them all, there isn't enough time left in the evening to retort.
And I’d be happy for you to do so.