The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 1st September) Will James be the missing piece of the jigsaw

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 1st September) Will James be the missing piece of the jigsaw

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 1st September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Will James be the missing piece of the jigsaw

At 11pm last night, the Summer transfer window slammed shut, but not before Bielsa secured a long time target of his. The 66 year old Argentine had his eye on Daniel James ever since taking the ER hot seat in the Summer of 2018, but had always managed to evade capture, until a few days ago. The signing of Ronaldo changed everything. James would be pushed further down the pecking order at Old Trafford; and Solskjaer needed to free up some cash having already shelled out £73 million for Jadon Sancho.

Leeds were quick off the mark. A host of clubs including Brighton and Leicester City threw their hats into the ring, but Leeds knew they couldn't miss out again on James and agreed to the Red Devil's demands of £25 million plus add ons. Time will only tell what plans Bielsa has with James. I just hope James is not just an impact sub. He needs sustained game time, something that was lacking at Old Trafford!

Was the Summer transfer window a success?

It was always going to be difficult to top the excitement of last Summer's transfer window, but there's no going back now! We're in it for the long haul! It's great to see so many exciting youngsters arrive, but will we see end results with them. Stevens, Huggins, Casey, Hosannah, Davis and Gotts were supposed to be the future of Leeds Utd yet like so many in the past, they fell by the wayside!

In
Dan James - Man Utd, £25m
Jack Harrison - Man City, £11m
Junior Firpo - Barcelona, £13m
Lewis Bate - Chelsea, undisclosed
Kristoffer Klaesson - Valerenga, undisclosed
Amari Miller - Birmingham
Sean McGurk - Wigan Athletic
Leo Fuhr Hjelde - Celtic

Out
Ryan Edmondson - Fleetwood, loan
Gaetano Berardi - contract expired
Pablo Hernandez - contract expired
Ouasim Bouy - contract expired
Barry Douglas - contract expired
Cole Gibbon - contract expired
Niklas Haugland - contract expired
Eunan O'Kane - contract expired
Matthew Turner - contract expired
Oliver Casey - Blackpool, undisclosed
Alfie McAlmont - Morecambe, loan
Ezgjan Alioski - contract expired
Laurens De Bock - Sportvereniging Zulte Waregem, loan
Kiko Casilla - Elche, loan
Niall Huggins - Sunderland, free
Jordan Stevens - Barrow, undisclosed
Helder Costa, Valencia, loan
Bryce Hosannah - Wrexham, undisclosed
Robbie Gotts - Barrow, undisclosed
Leif Davis - Bournemouth, undiscosed

Where will Leeds finish the 22/22 campaign?

We now know what Leeds have to play with this season, and bearing that in mind, where do you see the Whites finishing this season?

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 1st September) Will James be the missing piece of the jigsaw

Post by SG90 »

So by my reckoning, we'd have spent £160m in the last two years and the only sale we've had was Oliver Casey, for around £500k, plus various loan fees. We'll need to sell some players next summer, especially if we spend again.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 1st September) Will James be the missing piece of the jigsaw

Post by BGwhite »

We won't get much for our ageing rockers .

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

These days, any transfer window where a midtable club, or indeed any club outside the richest 4 or 5, hang on to their best players is a success. When you see Southapmton, Brighton and Villa lose their star players it really shows that. Adding a couple that should be in or near the first team like Firpo and James make it an even greater success.
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

Although we haven't bought to fill the creative midfielder hole we certainly haven't stood still.

In terms of what you would consider first team players; Beradi (long term injury) Pablo (had become bit part) Costa (superless sub) Casilla (bench warmer) and Ali (regular starter) out.

6 first team level brought in plus Harrison made permanent.

We have Pascal and Ilan stepping up and it looks like Shackleton could be on his break through season.

Add that to some top potential added to our U23s I think we are definitely moving forward. Just hope we haven't over stretched the finances that means we have to sell a crown jewel next window.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Bielsa has in his mind his best team, we have to go with him and hope it works out, sometimes its frustrating,but, he's in charge for a reason, he takes the good with the bad and all inbetween, I dont like a lot of his decisions but then again, he's not the first United boss to make odd decisions and he certainly wont be the last.
As fans, we were crying out for a ball player, a CM with extra class, Bielsa dosent seem to like that style of play, instead relying heavily on wingers and men running through.
James might not be the "final" piece of his jigsaw, but he will add an extra dimension imo, either himself or Rapha in No 10 role, it should also give Harrison a kick up the arse, whether it works or not is firmly down to Harrison.
When Firpo , Koch and Llorente are all in the same team I reckon we'll be shocking the big-boys again, my only issue then is, what subs to have ready, Rodrigo isnt setting the place on fire, Roberts never will, will Summerville be given a chance to shine ?
We'll still have either Dallas, or Klich on the bench as well.
Onwards and upwards.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Thanks SG that really cheered me up, bye bye Raph next summer :lol: :cry:

Probably will be lets be honest, Leicester model and all that, making signings in advance of departures (James now Raph pays for it in 12 months) :verysad:

Anyhoo.

Dan James

Look we overpaid i think thats pretty much agreed? Probably to keep MB happy as its pretty clear he had an obsession. Despite that i like Dan James, seems a nice kid, at least he wants to be here and in a way its probably nice for him to finally conclude a journey he started 2.5 years ago with his late father. All the talk of time though is gone, we are a demanding fanbase and people will want instant impact at that price. He is under huge pressure and questions will be asked fairly quickly if he struggles.

That being said having watched a few more YouTube videos (yeah i know) he isnt quite as 1 dimensional as i thought, he isnt Raph with tricks and things but he has some skill and it isnt all kick and rush and he actually has played some really decent passes at times (especially during his first 6months at Manure) so i am hopeful.

Erm to early to say.

Firpo on paper seems an upgrade on Ali but imp so far on the pitch he hasnt been and we really miss Ali probably more than many of our fanbase expected.

Dan James on paper is an upgrade on Costa but again to early to say and imo the similarities to Costa are a worry

And the gaping hole in midfield is still there.

Not trying to be "negative" just realistic at this stage.

As for finishing position lets go with 12-16th.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:51 am Thanks SG that really cheered me up, bye bye Raph next summer :lol: :cry:

Probably will be lets be honest, Leicester model and all that, making signings in advance of departures (James now Raph pays for it in 12 months) :verysad:

Anyhoo.

Dan James

Look we overpaid i think thats pretty much agreed? Probably to keep MB happy as its pretty clear he had an obsession. Despite that i like Dan James, seems a nice kid, at least he wants to be here and in a way its probably nice for him to finally conclude a journey he started 2.5 years ago with his late father. All the talk of time though is gone, we are a demanding fanbase and people will want instant impact at that price. He is under huge pressure and questions will be asked fairly quickly if he struggles.

That being said having watched a few more YouTube videos (yeah i know) he isnt quite as 1 dimensional as i thought, he isnt Raph with tricks and things but he has some skill and it isnt all kick and rush and he actually has played some really decent passes at times (especially during his first 6months at Manure) so i am hopeful.

Erm to early to say.

Firpo on paper seems an upgrade on Ali but imp so far on the pitch he hasnt been and we really miss Ali probably more than many of our fanbase expected.

Dan James on paper is an upgrade on Costa but again to early to say and imo the similarities to Costa are a worry

And the gaping hole in midfield is still there.

Not trying to be "negative" just realistic at this stage.

As for finishing position lets go with 12-16th.
Really, Costa was always decent going forward and a key cog in our promotion but struggled with the defensive side. We know, I think, that James was maybe Manures best defensive attacker and he's quicker than Costa, looks stronger than Costa. If we're getting a better defensive player then that can only be a good thing. especially if he brings more on offence
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:51 am Thanks SG that really cheered me up, bye bye Raph next summer :lol: :cry:

Unfortunately we have to be realistic. Unless you're Man City, Man Utd or Chelsea, you're going to lose your best players to other clubs in the league. And those clubs will lose their best players to Real Madrid.

I remember saying Villa were spending too much money and would have to sell Grealish to balance out all that spending. Leicester won the title and still lost Kante and Mahrez.

Next summer I can see Costa, Roberts, Rodrigo, Koch, Ayling, Cooper and unfortunately Raph leaving :cry: .... but, hopefully replaced by Kvaratskhelia. :love:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:10 am Really, Costa was always decent going forward and a key cog in our promotion but struggled with the defensive side. We know, I think, that James was maybe Manures best defensive attacker and he's quicker than Costa, looks stronger than Costa. If we're getting a better defensive player then that can only be a good thing. especially if he brings more on offence
Was referring more to the pacey winger who MB insisted on (as he did with Costa apparently).

Both came with questionable end product reputations and both seem totally against our style of play (something MB did admit regarding Costa, that our style of play and overlaps and domination of possession did negatively impact Costa and his need for space to run into).

James is the same imo, there are questions about his end product and a player like him would thrive on space like Costa, something our style actively denies.

But defensively and work rate as you say i am sure you are right he is probably better with that than HC was so thats good and hopefully he can adapt a bit better offensively (not to say Costa didnt have good games on occasion but not anywhere near enough to justify his price).
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

not so much the missing piece of the jigsaw more the bullet in the gun
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:58 am Was referring more to the pacey winger who MB insisted on (as he did with Costa apparently).

Both came with questionable end product reputations and both seem totally against our style of play (something MB did admit regarding Costa, that our style of play and overlaps and domination of possession did negatively impact Costa and his need for space to run into).

James is the same imo, there are questions about his end product and a player like him would thrive on space like Costa, something our style actively denies.

But defensively and work rate as you say i am sure you are right he is probably better with that than HC was so thats good and hopefully he can adapt a bit better offensively (not to say Costa didnt have good games on occasion but not anywhere near enough to justify his price).
MB maybe wanted a pacey winger who could defend, tried to incorporate that into Costa's game and failed, so has gone back to his original target of James. Makes perfect sense to me
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

And if this one fails he'll move on to the next one...think I get it now

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We've really only had one failure and that was JKA ..
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

It is a jigsaw puzzle.

Our ten best (most talented) players - Bamford, Raphinha, Harrison, James, Phillips, Llorente, Koch, Dallas, Rodrigo, and Struijk/Cooper/Ayling - are good enough to get us into the top half of the table. The problem is getting them all onto the pitch at the same time requires getting creative. Sometimes it works, as Kalvin's change of position did, spectacularly, a couple of years ago. Sometimes, though, it's more difficult, as Rodrigo at the ten and Koch in DMF have shown.

The bigger problem is the games you lose while working this all out.

I do believe we'll have a much stronger side at the end of September than we do now.

I see us in the 10 - 12 range this year. Given that the primary goal for year two is to consolidate our position in the EPL, that would be acceptable. We're laying groundwork here. We have to ensure our position in the league until we can add another 20,000 seats and generate additional revenue. I'm satisfied that that is what's going on.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

John in Louisiana wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:29 pm It is a jigsaw puzzle.

Our ten best (most talented) players - Bamford, Raphinha, Harrison, James, Phillips, Llorente, Koch, Dallas, Rodrigo, and Struijk/Cooper/Ayling - are good enough to get us into the top half of the table. The problem is getting them all onto the pitch at the same time requires getting creative. Sometimes it works, as Kalvin's change of position did, spectacularly, a couple of years ago. Sometimes, though, it's more difficult, as Rodrigo at the ten and Koch in DMF have shown.

The bigger problem is the games you lose while working this all out.

I do believe we'll have a much stronger side at the end of September than we do now.

I see us in the 10 - 12 range this year. Given that the primary goal for year two is to consolidate our position in the EPL, that would be acceptable. We're laying groundwork here. We have to ensure our position in the league until we can add another 20,000 seats and generate additional revenue. I'm satisfied that that is what's going on.
All true John, but without the attraction of European football it will be very difficult to attract the next level of players next summer. Not to mention hold on to the likes of Raphinha, Phillips, Meslier, Llorente.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

faaip wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:07 pm We've really only had one failure and that was JKA ..
Have you conveniently forgot about Costa, Roberts & Casilla !!??
Neither of that trio are considered a success .......to me anyway, also , if Rodrigo doesnt adapt quickly he too will be in that bracket, no point pulling punches, either they shape up or get shipped out, too many making excuses for players who wont cut it or are still struggling.
We're in the big-boys league, time waits for no-one.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Robert's was dirt cheap and is good, Costa was a huge part of the promotion team.. that alone was worth the money. Casilla did very well in our MOTM rankings till the incident regarding rasism...Not sure you can lay that at the management teams door

MOTM rankings 2019/20

1 - Ben White - 1407
2 - Matteusz Klich - 913
3 - Pablo Hernandez - 898
4 - Kalvin Phillips - 799
5 - Stuart Dallas - 666
6 - Jack Harrison - 633
7 - Patrick Bamford - 512
8 - Luke Ayling - 497
9 - Kiko Casilla - 470 -
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:26 pm Have you conveniently forgot about Costa, Roberts & Casilla !!??
Neither of that trio are considered a success .......to me anyway,
They were a success in so much that they helped to get us out of the Championship, and for that I am exceedingly thankful. Not every purchase made in the lower league can step up, however, I am not giving up on Roberts, just yet. Plus, if Valencia take up the buy option next season, we will have got back the money we spent on Costa.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Metro1962
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Metro1962 »

SG90 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:56 am

Next summer I can see Costa, Roberts, Rodrigo, Koch, Ayling, Cooper and unfortunately Raph leaving :cry: .... but, hopefully replaced by Kvaratskhelia. :love:
I can not see Raph leaving at all,he has only just arrived. :lol:

However I can see Cooper going at some point soon,Great player but gives away too many penalties and fouls for me as his eye on the players than on the ball imo