The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 12th August) Bielsa putting pen to paper is just a 'formality'

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 12th August) Bielsa putting pen to paper is just a 'formality'

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 12th August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road…

Bielsa putting pen to paper is just a 'formality'

Marcelo Bielsa is ready to commit to a fourth season at Elland Road according to Managing Director Angus Kinnear, speaking on the 'Square Ball Leeds Utd podcast' earlier this week!

Kinnear said: "He's ready. His contract isn't ready but he's ready. I think we are very lucky to have a manager who is so exceptional at preparing a team for the start of the season and his pre-seasons are meticulous. "I think bar the contract we're in great shape.

"It'll be signed this week and announced to great excitement. It's not even been discussed. The discussions are all around preparations, it really is a formality. "We had a handshake probably six months ago and it really is just the details. Every day he's talking to Victor [Orta], Andrea [Radrizzani] and myself but it's all about preparations."

When asked why it had taken so long to get the paperwork signed, Kinnear revealed that the Argentine wasn't big on paperwork!

"Fundamentally it's his lack of interest in it. There are some minor points that we discuss but it's just getting his attention on it. "He is just so fixated on the season and the preparations so we have minor points that occasionally come up when we get him to engage on it, but actually it's much more around the line-ups for the games and the transfer window and that's where his priorities are and we wouldn't have it any other way."

Leeds to revive interest in Kent

Many media sources including the Daily Express are suggesting that Leeds will revive their interest in Rangers winger Ryan Kent after being dumped out of Europe by Malmo! There is no secret that the former former Liverpool academy player is a firm favourite of Marcelo Bielsa. He signed for the Scottish Champions two years ago have spent a successful season on loan at Ibrox! Rangers paid just 6.5m for Kent's services (plus bonuses based on appearances)

Rangers were dependant on reaching the Champions League group stages, but needed to beat Swedish outfit Malmo. Unfortunately for the 'Gers', they lost both legs 2-1. This would have netted them an extra 30m. By selling their star winger to Leeds, they would be able to recoup two thirds of that money!

Hjelde set to sign

Leeds have agreed a fee with Celtic for Norwegian Youth International Leo Hjelde. The 6' 3 centre back, who doesn't turn 18 until later this month is set to undergo a medical at Thorp Arch later today

The Hoops were undoubtedly keen to keep the youngster at Celtic Park but the lure of the Premiership was too much. Hjelde had one year left on his contract, and was adamant is wasn't going to be extended.

He spent the second half of last season on loan at Ross County where he caught the eye of Leeds scouts!

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 12th August) Bielsa putting pen to paper is just a 'formality'

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

This is the one contract I was never concerned about, from what I see Marcelo loves Leeds and the fans as much as we love him, he worked throughout the summer, even down to making sure the training pitches are the exact same as Elland Road so no way was he not going to sign.

Ryan Kent I've said on her before I think there's better players out there especially for the money we'll have to pay to get him but if Bielsa thinks he's the man what do I know

Leo Hjelde looks a player (Youtube) and he'll slot right into the U23s who are starting to look very good for the coming season
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 12th August) Bielsa putting pen to paper is just a 'formality'

Post by mothbanquet »

Hjelde is an absolute unit, when he comes good I think he and Pascal will be the new Ferdinand/Woodgate. Or even better, like Revie's warriors at the back.

Kent has shown more of what he's capable of lately and I don't think the interest on our side ever went away. Would rather have him than Dan James.
Allrounder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Allrounder »

Nice, us Norwegians are taking over Leeds :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:59 am Hjelde is an absolute unit, when he comes good I think he and Pascal will be the new Ferdinand/Woodgate. Or even better, like Revie's warriors at the back.

Kent has shown more of what he's capable of lately and I don't think the interest on our side ever went away. Would rather have him than Dan James.
In my opinion Pascal is our No.2 centre-back now.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Marcelo Bielsa certainly likes wingers doesn’t he! No specific mention of the fee for Kent but it looks like it could be around £20m - sounds like a lot of money to me especially considering we already have Raphinha, Harrison, Costa, Poveda, Summerville, even Stewy Dallas at a pinch. I wonder if Costa would be surplus to requirements if we get Kent, personally I would try and move him on anyway.

Bielsa’s new contract was never in doubt and long may he continue.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks.

I can't see Leeds forking out 20m for Kent.
Listening to Kinnear I get the sense Leeds are happy with the squad but ate open to swoop for a bargain if one was to surface.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Yeah i dont buy that Bielsa doesnt care greatly about the details of his contract and getting his attention is the only reason it hasnt been signed.

This is a man who took legal action over his contract at Lille, he cares greatly about contracts and whats in them and only signs when satisfied.

I do wonder if he is a bit exasperated by our slow transfer window? We know he likes players in early and whilst i am not for a moment suggesting he may walk he has had very strong words with the club before over transfers.

1st season i think he was seen in pre season in a very animated state in a car park with Orta and Kinnear and within a few days 2 new signings appeared.

So yeah whilst i dont expect him to walk i dont entirely believe a man as meticulous as Bielsa is that blasé about anything

Incidentally we should find out soon enough, think it has to be signed by tomorrow lunchtime or he isnt allowed to take charge at the Theatre of myths
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Have to say i like aspects of Kents game.

He is quick, he is direct, he is exciting to watch and he is naturally two footed which is an extremely rare and possibly underrated skill.

Now the bad is that of course he plays at a low standard in Scotland and Rangers fans seem to suggest that he is flakey, bit like Harrison.

Either really good or bloody awful with very little in between and because of that he frustrates.

I would prefer Cunha but that seems a no go.

I would prefer Khvicha Kvaratskhelia but that seems a no go.

I would prefer Asensio but that seems a no go.

I am however torn over Lang and Kent both have plusses and both have minuses.
Signed

King Cjay

Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Allrounder wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:26 am Nice, us Norwegians are taking over Leeds :)
Not the bloody Vikings again. :)

Now Rangers are out of the CL qualifying the price should fall dramatically. Or as they used to say on Bradford market.. Cheap cheap, very good price.

Never in doubt with MB. He does this every year. Its annoying but hey-ho its great to see a man who's not focused on how much money he can extort.

Welcome to the new Norwegian kid if true, we have a long and fruitful relationship with our Nordic friends over the North sea and long may it continue.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:54 am Yeah i dont buy that Bielsa doesnt care greatly about the details of his contract and getting his attention is the only reason it hasnt been signed.

This is a man who took legal action over his contract at Lille, he cares greatly about contracts and whats in them and only signs when satisfied.

I do wonder if he is a bit exasperated by our slow transfer window? We know he likes players in early and whilst i am not for a moment suggesting he may walk he has had very strong words with the club before over transfers

1st season i think he was seen in pre season in a very animated state in a car park with Orta and Kinnear and within a few days 2 new signings appeared.

So yeah whilst i dont expect him to walk i dont entirely believe a man as meticulous as Bielsa is that blasé about anything

Incidentally we should find out soon enough, think it has to be signed by tomorrow lunchtime or he isnt allowed to take charge at the Theatre of myths
Bielsa on tranfers

I am satisfied with the group I am working with.

[No more incomings?

I could not tell you because it's a hypothetical situation, but what I can tell you is the group I have, I am happy with
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:53 pm Transfers

Bielsa on tranfers

I am satisfied with the group I am working with.

[No more incomings?

I could not tell you because it's a hypothetical situation, but what I can tell you is the group I have, I am happy with.
oh ffs

The squad has no depth whatsoever :(

Know MB is an idealist and likes his little project players but we lack depth and quality :(
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bielsa on Firpo and Klaesson & our club

Very happy. They are very well thought out decisions. Very revised. Very analysed. All the conditions are there for them to have a good time at Leeds. That's another segment of this club which functions with very high professionalism., For a long time, I have been in pro football and very few times have I seen such a well looked after world like it his here when we sign a player. Marked evolution in this work. Every year, the club has reduced the amount of professionals and incorporated very few. This year is another example many more players have left than those arrived. That means players at the club are considered sufficient and adequate. There is a very prolific and fertile contribution from the academy. That constantly through the work of the under-18s and under-23s, those are the ones I see, but surely more work at the lower levels. They always have responses to the needs that present the need during the season. In terms of the organisation, I consider Leeds is an example and I have focused responsibility on Orta who has the structure for the arrival of players. The director of the academy and technical staff of the 23s, who give nutrients to the first team. The president, the owner who makes investments he could not have done.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:54 pm oh ffs

The squad has no depth whatsoever :(

Know MB is an idealist and likes his little project players but we lack depth and quality :(
I'm just posting what Marcelo has said Cjay.

Agree we do lack quality particularly in our midfield.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Why is the squad more ready in 21/22?

Now I understand what you mean with the next step. I didn't make that reference. What I think about the evolution of a team is as time goes on and work continues there exists a possibility to polish the things that could not previously be done. If it were that way, if we managed to achieve this, we would manage to overcome the previous states Leeds have been in. The development of a style of play is not the only aspect that allows the growth of a team. After you have to maintain the enthusiasm, ambition, the desire to grow. Take on board the expectations generated by the public. There's a very special moment in the development of a team, where their recognition of what happened before disappears and the demand for what's next increases. Not all the teams have the fortitude to resolve this.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bielsa's contract resolved

"One year is habitual" :lol:
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Running a premier league club (any league club) is finding a balance in building to ensure the future and satisfying immediate needs (and wants)... Working within the financial means of the club is paramount, and as has been proved on so many occasions with player(s) a big fee does not guarentee a big return.
I personally am happy with what MB, Victor and the ownership are achieving... if They refuse to buy just for the sake of it, to fill a hole, then I support that. Better to work with what you have untill the right player for the good of the team comes along. Building depth takes time, you can do it easily with many players who are available and not suitable to the clubs ethos ergo will get no playing time...Given time we will be in a position to fork out for one or two luxury players. I firmly believe we will see at least two of our young un's start to get some game time this year a further sign we are not standing still, but moving forward.
MOT
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

1964white wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:05 pm Why is the squad more ready in 21/22?

Now I understand what you mean with the next step. I didn't make that reference. What I think about the evolution of a team is as time goes on and work continues there exists a possibility to polish the things that could not previously be done. If it were that way, if we managed to achieve this, we would manage to overcome the previous states Leeds have been in. The development of a style of play is not the only aspect that allows the growth of a team. After you have to maintain the enthusiasm, ambition, the desire to grow. Take on board the expectations generated by the public. There's a very special moment in the development of a team, where their recognition of what happened before disappears and the demand for what's next increases. Not all the teams have the fortitude to resolve this.
:tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We may be lacking in depth but we really don't know we're lacking in depth till that depth is tested...

Phillips
Dallas
Klich
Roberts
Rodrigo
Geldherdt
Greenwood
Koch
Bate

If we get the Hudds guy that looks decent depth to me... Even if we don't
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"