Leeds United v Crystal Palace Match Thread - Unchanged starting XI, Joe Gelhardt makes the bench

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Match Thread Leeds United v Crystal Palace Match Thread - Unchanged starting XI, Joe Gelhardt makes the bench

Post by The Subhuman »

Monday 8th February 8.00pm | Elland Road

Leeds United take on Crystal Palace tonight at Elland Road. The reverse result at Selhurst Park back in November was perhaps one of the most disappointing performances of the season for Leeds United. It could have been a different story had the Video Assistant Referee not punished Patrick Bamford for daring to point where he wanted the ball played before lashing it into the back of Vicente Guaita’s goal, but it was not to be. But Leeds have moved on since that game back in November, Raphinha has become a regular in the side since then and looks more than at home in the Premier League. And whilst Leeds may have Raphinha avaialble tonight, palace are missing theirs in Wilfried Zaha.

Palace may have limped home against Newcastle last week after an early scare, but losing their top scorer Zaha with a hamstring in the process is a big blow. Palace are one dimensional without Zaha, they will try to play on the break like they usually do but, without Zaha, they just don't carry the same threat. Palace have also been without Wayne Hennessey, Nathan Ferguson and Connor Wickham for the majority of the season, with Mamadou Sakho, James Tomkins and Jeffrey Schlupp recently joining them in the physio room. Hodgson's problems were compounded last week when James McArthur and James McCarthy also sustained injuries. Leeds United duo Rodrigo and Ian Poveda will be out of action for several weeks through injury.

Crystal Palace have lost on each of their past five trips to Elland Road in all competitions. The Eagles are looking to complete a first league double over Leeds since the 1985-86 season. Leeds have won eight of the past 10 meetings in all competitions, with the other two games drawn. The Whites are in danger of losing three consecutive home league games for the first time since October 2017. They have failed to keep a clean sheet in any of their six competitive matches so far this calendar year. All three of Leeds' home wins have been against sides below them in the table. Leeds have lost both of their Monday league games this term, with both coming at home. Raphinha has contributed to four goals in his last three league games, with two goals and two assists.

Palace are looking to win three consecutive league matches for the first time since a four-game sequence last June. They have been beaten just twice in seven league fixtures, winning three times and drawing twice. Victory at Newcastle in midweek ended a four-match winless streak on the road. Palace are winless in their past eight Monday league games, drawing twice and losing on six occasions. Palace have lost 16 of the past 18 Premier League matches without Wilfried Zaha, winning the other two. Eberechi Eze has been involved in three goals in six appearances in 2021, with two goals and one assist.

Leeds United Starting XI
Meslier, Ayling, Struijk, Cooper, Alioski, Phillips, Dallas, Harrison, Klich, Raphinha, Bamford

Subs: Casilla, Creswell, Davis, Shackleton, Jenkins, Huggins, Costa, Roberts, Gelhardt
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds United v Crystal Palace Match Day Thread

Post by BobHirst »

If Zaha is not playing I feel a little more confident. Was worried about being run at by Zaha and Eze.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Zaha is without doubt their best player so its good news he isn't playing. They still have some decent players though but if we play well I'm confident we will win.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

We owe them so let's do this and jump into the top 10 and as good as cement our place in next season's PL.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Arsenal and Saints beaten today, it’s a big opportunity to steal a march and consolidate our position.

Top 10? Wee buns!
Allrounder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Allrounder »

Payback time, just like what we did to Leicester.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Allrounder wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:11 am Payback time, just like what we did to Leicester.
My thinking exactly. We know what to expect from them now and no doubt Bielsa will know exactly how to deal with them as he did with Rodgers.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:46 am My thinking exactly. We know what to expect from them now and no doubt Bielsa will know exactly how to deal with them as he did with Rodgers.
Problem is our home form Moth

Won two of our last nine games v Burnley & Newcastle at ER
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

A few teams do seem to be suffering at home this season and we are one of them. A good time to put that right with a positive home win by the lads. Another 3 points and i have to say we are all but safe imo, i just can't see where WB & Fulham's next win is coming from never mind stringing 5/6 wins together.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I think you've all got to stop worrying about going down and being safe, we are safe, not technically of course but it's doubtful that any of the bottom 3 are going to reach 30 points by the season end.
There certainly was an injustice in the reverse fixture of this, with Bamford's wonderfully taken goal and since that game this is one I really want to win, even though it wasn't Palace but VAR that was at fault.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

If we do want to finish top half this season, then we need to be winning games like this

that said, palace are a bit of a jekyll and hyde type team - either amazing or awful

will be a tough one I'm sure, but fingers crossed, we've performed well the last few games
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

We really need to win this one to put the record straight. The 4-1 loss in the 1st game was very flattering for them, it was never a 4-1 type of game!

We also need to get our home form back on track and a win would see us into the top half of the table 👍🏻
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

Snow forecast for tomorrow.
Might put the fixture at risk...
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/fo ... 2021-02-08
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

gessa wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:07 am I think you've all got to stop worrying about going down and being safe, we are safe, not technically of course but it's doubtful that any of the bottom 3 are going to reach 30 points by the season end.
There certainly was an injustice in the reverse fixture of this, with Bamford's wonderfully taken goal and since that game this is one I really want to win, even though it wasn't Palace but VAR that was at fault.
My sentiments exactly gessa...good post
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

"Rumour" has it that MB asked for Joe Gelhardt to be taken off at HT in the u23 game to ensure he can include him him the squad for Palace game...

Sommerville 3 x assists also pushing hard for that bench place ...
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Leeds v CP H2H
H2H1.jpg
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Form...
F1.jpg
F2.jpg
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:46 pm "Rumour" has it that MB asked for Joe Gelhardt to be taken off at HT in the u23 game to ensure he can include him him the squad for Palace game...

Sommerville 3 x assists also pushing hard for that bench place ...
Gelhardt and Jenkins coming off at half time pretty sure puts them on the bench or as cover. Huggins and Cresswell for sure, since they didn't play today.

Summerville got off to a slow start but has been awesome this past month. I think he'll be pushing for Poveda's spot

Can't see starting line up changing at all unless there's an injury
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Home vs Away Statistics
H v A.jpg
H v A.jpg (58.72 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

They are a big physical side palace and have a bad feeling about this game. Now with injuries we have noone we can bring in.. Bamford is going to have to be in his best form to try and get us a goal, at the moment it's raphinha the one doing the business. I would start with hernandez ahead of klich for sure klich seems burned out to me and his passing has become somewhat suspect. Hope we get 3 points tomorrow night and go above arsenal.