Crawley Town v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Cooper returns as Bielsa makes seven changes

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Crawley Town v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Cooper returns as Bielsa makes seven changes

Post by Ellandback1 »

Sunday 10th January 1:30pm | Broadfield Stadium
3rd Round of the FA Cup

Leeds face a potential banana skin in the 3rd round of the FA Cup as the Whites travel down West Sussex for a Sunday lunchtime clash against Crawley Town. This is the first time that the Reds have reached the 3rd round since the 2012-13 season. Leeds on the other hand have been eliminated at this stage for the last three seasons, their worst run since 2006-07. Sunday will be the first two times the clubs have ever met!

Kiko Casilla looks set to replace Meslier between the sticks with Leif Davis and Dallas operating as wing backs. Jamie Shackleton, Ian Poveda, Pablo Hernandez and Helder Costa are all predicted to receive game time. Cody Drameh, Jack Jenkins, Joe Gelhardt and Sam Greenwood are all knocking on the door, wanting to play some part in proceedings. Captain Liam Cooper is available after almost three weeks out with an abdominal injury, could this be a chance for him to get some game time under his belt? Fellow centre-back Diego Llorente is also available but Marcelo Bielsa says they are being "cautious" with the Spaniard. Tyler Roberts is unavailable with rumours of a loan move to Derby on the cards.

Crawley will make a late decision on top scorer Max Watters who has scored `16 goals in 17 games who is said to have a hamstring injury. But the real reason he could miss out is because big money offers are expected from Championship clubs this window. Crawley manager John Yems has called for Leeds to donate their FA Cup prize money to his club. The West Sussex side cannot fully capitalise on the financial benefits of facing Premier League opposition due to the current nationwide lockdown preventing fans from attending. Winners of the televised tie at Broadfield Stadium are set to pocket £61,500 from the Football Association, while the losers will collect £20,500.

I just hope Leeds donate their money back to us, which would be a very good gesture, so we can start paying for a few things. You wouldn’t get as much as you would normally because of no crowd. But in the current climate, big clubs, it would be nice like they used to in the old days that some clubs might donate a little bit back to you. But who knows?

There are a lot of clubs that have got their backs to the wall – I’m not saying we have – but (my priority is to) make sure all the players are healthy and we’ve got a football club at the end of it all. “That’s what’s important to me.

Crawley have lost all of their FA Cup matches against Premier League opposition; in 2010-11 vs Man Utd, 2011-12 vs Stoke and 2012-13 vs Reading. Leeds have lost two of their last three third-round matches as a Premier League side, most recently against Arsenal in 2003-04. Having amassed 23 points in their first 17 games of the season, 12 points off the relegation zone, could this be a real opportunity for Leeds United to have a crack at the FA Cup?

Leeds Starting XI
Casilla, Davis, Struijk, Cooper, Alioski, Phillips, Shackleton, Hernandez, Poveda, Costa, Rodrigo

Subs: Caprile, Huggins, Jenkins, Casey, Harrison, Raphinha, Greenwood
Last edited by Ellandback1 on Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gessa

Re: Crawley Town v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by gessa »

It would be a nice gesture from the club and it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen. Let's not forget though, they'll be getting tv money aswell, which wouldn't be the case if they'd have drawn the low life of teams like Hull, Derby and Forest.

But, if we lose....sod em, let them fend for themselves
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

gessa wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:49 pm It would be a nice gesture from the club and it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen. Let's not forget though, they'll be getting tv money aswell, which wouldn't be the case if they'd have drawn the low life of teams like Hull, Derby and Forest.

:rol:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:49 pm It would be a nice gesture from the club and it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen. Let's not forget though, they'll be getting tv money aswell, which wouldn't be the case if they'd have drawn the low life of teams like Hull, Derby and Forest.

:rol: :rol:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

At least we won't be in our red kit......

8-)
gessa

Post by gessa »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:14 pm At least we won't be in our red kit......

8-)
:lol: :lol:

It's M A R O O N
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:14 pm At least we won't be in our red kit......

8-)
Its B U R G U N D Y

:lol:
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Its Red and Blue with a n emphasis on Red..... :P
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:20 pm Its B U R G U N D Y

:lol:
Its MAUVE
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

:lol: :lol:
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Agreed. 60k is chump change for us at the moment. Great gesture and more shrewdly, great publicity.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dreading this game
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dreading this game
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:16 am Dreading this game
Its live on Tv. BBC Sunday afternoon away to an inferior side in the 3RD round of the Cup.

What could possibly go wrong ? :lol:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

I think it would be wise to see what team is selected...

I’d like to see a few first teamers in there.

Meslier wouldn’t get the week off after the shocker at Spurs, consider it a punishment.

Phillips would play as he’s banned for the next league game... it would be wise to give Pablo a run out too.

Id like to see Ayling and Dallas rested, with maybe Bamford on the bench if needed.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

I think it'll be a mixture of fringe first teamers and the kids maybe:

Casilla
Drameh
Cresswell
Casey
Davis
Struijk (Good to give him a match at DCM, as he'll likely play there against BHA)
Jenkins
Shackleton
Pablo
Greenwood
Gelhardt

Don't expect Tyro getting a run out as we want him out on loan, without being injured or cup-tied.
Last thing we need from this match is any more first team injuries.

Going off our recent cup form I expect we'll get beat.
So, if the Crawley manager is looking for cash, he's gonna get the winner's money, we'll donate the loser's money, and give them a place in the 4th round. That's not a bad deal for them :)

I'm honestly not too bothered about the Cup as we should be fully focused on staying up as soon as we can achieve it and making plans for next season. If we get through great, but for me it's just a run out for the fringe players and kids.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

White Riot wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:47 pm I think it'll be a mixture of fringe first teamers and the kids maybe:

Casilla
Drameh
Cresswell
Casey
Davis
Struijk (Good to give him a match at DCM, as he'll likely play there against BHA)
Jenkins
Shackleton
Pablo
Greenwood
Gelhardt

Don't expect Tyro getting a run out as we want him out on loan, without being injured or cup-tied.
Last thing we need from this match is any more first team injuries.

Going off our recent cup form I expect we'll get beat.
So, if the Crawley manager is looking for cash, he's gonna get the winner's money, we'll donate the loser's money, and give them a place in the 4th round. That's not a bad deal for them :)

I'm honestly not too bothered about the Cup as we should be fully focused on staying up as soon as we can achieve it and making plans for next season. If we get through great, but for me it's just a run out for the fringe players and kids.
Put out that lineup and we will get beat.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:25 pm Its live on Tv. BBC Sunday afternoon away to an inferior side in the 3RD round of the Cup.

What could possibly go wrong ? :lol:
Heston !
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:03 pm Put out that lineup and we will get beat.
MB's said that he will be playing players that have played before, I expect that means first team?

But having said that it could also include players that played in the first team against Hull City in the EFL Cup :geek:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

White Riot wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:10 pm MB's said that he will be playing players that have played before, I expect that means first team?

But having said that it could also include players that played in the first team against Hull City in the EFL Cup :geek:
Line-up against Hull was:
Casilla
Shackleton
Cresswell
Davis
Douglas
Bogusz
Poveda
Casey
Roberts
Alioski
Rodrigo