Leeds Utd v Burnley Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds Utd v Burnley Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Sunday 27th December 12:00pm | Elland Road | Live on Sky Sports

Leeds skipper Liam Cooper will miss the Christmas showdown when Burnley come to Elland Road this Sunday for a lunchtime kick off. Marcelo Bielsa had delivered some good news at his press conference earlier in the week advising that Diego Llorente was fit and seemed likely to start only his second match of his short Elland Road tenure. This is not the case though, the Spaniard does not even make the bench, with Pascal Struijk coming into the side to partner Luke Ayling in defence instead.

Llorente will be a miss with both Cooper and Koch out. The Spanish International got thrown in at the deep end at Stamford Bridge after just 5 minutes when Robin Koch was injured Even though he was not match fit at the time, his stats show what a shrewd purchase the former Real Sociedad player is. Llorente completed 100% of his sliding tackles against Frank Lampard’s side and won 80% of his aerial duels. His passing success for club and Country averages 90%. Not bad for a player who wasn't fully fit!

Marcelo Bielsa has no new injury concerns but both Phillips and Klich are a yellow card away from a one game ban, both were withdrawn at half time against Manchester United. Was that an entirely tactical decision or did Bielsa think it was more important they were both available to face Burnley?

Burnley wingers Dwight McNeil and Robbie Brady both face late fitness tests after picking up respective groin and hamstring knocks though Brady is expected to recover. Former Leeds target Matej Vydra, will miss the trip to Elland Road with a back injury, whilst long term absentee's Johann Berg Gudmundsson and Jack Cork remain side-lined.

Burnley started the season poorly but are currently on a good run, with two draws and two wins in their past four games. Leeds have lost five of their previous eight league games, winning twice and drawing once. There have been 22 goals scored in Leeds' past four fixtures - over five per game. Leeds know their strength is going forward, though, and they are not going to change. Leeds are unbeaten against sides currently below them in the table, winning twice and drawing once.

Chris Wood scored 24 goals in 44 appearances for Leeds prior to joining Burnley in 2017. Leeds' top scorer Patrick Bamford made six Premier League substitute appearances for Burnley in 2016-17. The Whites have conceded a league-high 30 goals. Games involved Burnley have produced a league-low 27 goals, with their tally of eight goals the division's joint lowest.

Leeds Starting XI
Meslier, Dallas, Ayling, Struijk, Alioski, Phillips, Raphinha, Rodrigo, Klich, Harrison, Bamford

Subs: Poveda, Roberts, Casilla, Costa, Hernandez, Davis, Shackleton, Jenkins, Casey
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds Utd v Burnley Match Thread

Post by mothbanquet »

Llorente's tackles v. Chelsea were indeed superb, showcasing a natural defending ability that will only get better as he grows into the system and develops a partnership. I'd prefer no unnecessary risks be taken but at the same time, if we can handle Burnley's all too familiar attacking threat I'm confident we can score against them. Three points here would see us halfway to guaranteed safety far as I'm concerned so maybe the risk is worth the reward?

Till matchday folks, have a great Christmas and I'll see you all when my stomach's been pumped.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:15 pm Llorente's tackles v. Chelsea were indeed superb, showcasing a natural defending ability that will only get better as he grows into the system and develops a partnership. I'd prefer no unnecessary risks be taken but at the same time, if we can handle Burnley's all too familiar attacking threat I'm confident we can score against them. Three points here would see us halfway to guaranteed safety far as I'm concerned so maybe the risk is worth the reward?

Till matchday folks, have a great Christmas and I'll see you all when my stomach's been pumped.
Merry Christmas Moth

See you on Boxing Day :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dyche

"Leeds have problems with set-pieces, we are good at set-pieces"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The more we worry about set pieces the more set pieces will become a problem...At least Wood can't jump higher than 6 inches and is too slow to cause us problems

There that's jinxed it
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Based on that, Burnley to win 2-0 and Wood with both
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Am i getting the wrong presser? I have got Wigan in the Championship? :)

I know its Christmas and all, but i'm still struggling to make a case for Leeds with our defence. Llorente would be a big plus, i just can't see it happening so early after what happened against Chelski. Don't get me wrong we should be right in this one, its Burnley not Beyern.

Dyche has been a bit crafty there for me in highlighting the situation He will know it will play on the players minds. You never know it may inspire them and backfire.

We have a team full of attackers. If its a case of we have to score more than you, then that's what we have to do. The players will have to be more clinical knowing the situation. When i look around our team i still don't see that many roll your sleeves up and get stuck in type of player. Phillips obviously. Ayling at a push.

Keep possession, take our chances. We have got the worst attack, against the worst defence.... something will have to give.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Would love to see Davis get 90 mins at LB
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Can see us being vulnerable from set pieces and so being a bit cagey and struggle to break them down. Can see its being a relatively low scoring games 1 nil or 2 1 either way
1964white

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:08 pm Can see us being vulnerable from set pieces and so being a bit cagey and struggle to break them down. Can see its being a relatively low scoring games 1 nil or 2 1 either way
They'll definitely park the bus & play for set-pieces

A match that will need Pablo to break them down if he gets a opportunity
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Fridge wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:57 pm Would love to see Davis get 90 mins at LB
Me too Fridge, here's hoping :strong:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

I'm hoping that MB and the players are angry after last week's drubbing at the hands of our bitter enemies.

They should use that as motivation and make a statement to all the clubs in the Prem to say that we're here to stay and prepared to fight tooth and nail for out place at the top table.

It would be good to get a few hard tackles in and stay tight on the players we're marking, that's something I expected against Scum, but for some reason it didn't happen. I really felt that Man U wanted it more than us, first to loose balls and physical in the tackles, that kind of surprised me from what I've seen of them this season.

If we can pass the ball well and retain possession well we have more than enough to beat Sean Dyche and his anti-football brigade.

Good to impose ourselves on them and take the game by the scruff of the neck, rather than worrying about set-pieces.

Get into them :strong:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:14 pm They'll definitely park the bus & play for set-pieces

A match that will need Pablo to break them down if he gets a opportunity
I would love to see El Magic waving his wand and making us purr 64 :)
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

White Riot wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:03 pm I would love to see El Magic waving his wand and making us purr 64 :)
Bound to get some game time with 2 matches in a 72hr period!
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Fridge wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:35 pm Bound to get some game time with 2 matches in a 72hr period!
I'm hoping so mate, along with Leif ;-)
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

faaip wrote:Based on that, Burnley to win 2-0 and Wood with both
Supplied by Taylor Image

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

BGwhite wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:10 am Supplied by Taylor Image

And BPF makes 10 saves :sick:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BGwhite wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:10 am Supplied by Taylor Image

That would rub it in ..
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

BGwhite wrote:Supplied by Taylor Image

And BPF playing a blinder in goalImage

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

Recent fixtures show Burnley managing just the odd away goal, so two goals for Leeds should be enough.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.