Illan Meslier 

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:55 am Maybe I was a bit harsh, DDB

Although, if he stands on his feet & makes himself big as he usually does, he saves that shot.

You make a good point on the third goal.

Meslier was jittery at a couple of crosses, dropped a simple catch that could have been costly.

The whole defensive set-up except for Pascal was a mess which obviously didn't help Meslier's cause.

Those who I rated 2/10 were totally ineffective & contributed to our defeat

Please enlighten me, why Dan James deserved a higher rating than 2/10

4 decent passes & 1 cross in 80 minutes :shock: :roll:

Every time he was on the ball our attacking moves broke down, he is so inconsistent & frustrating, it's unbelievable, we might as well be playing with ten men, Dan should be used as a bench player only, against tired legs late in a game. If we continue to use passengers, expect more performances/defeats similar to Saturday's shambles.
Just what I think, what is it with wingers !!!!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

1964white wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:55 am Maybe I was a bit harsh, DDB

Although, if he stands on his feet & makes himself big as he usually does, he saves that shot.

You make a good point on the third goal.

Meslier was jittery at a couple of crosses, dropped a simple catch that could have been costly.

The whole defensive set-up except for Pascal was a mess which obviously didn't help Meslier's cause.

Those who I rated 2/10 were totally ineffective & contributed to our defeat

Please enlighten me, why Dan James deserved a higher rating than 2/10

4 decent passes & 1 cross in 80 minutes :shock: :roll:

Every time he was on the ball our attacking moves broke down, he is so inconsistent & frustrating, it's unbelievable, we might as well be playing with ten men, Dan should be used as a bench player only, against tired legs late in a game. If we continue to use passengers, expect more performances/defeats similar to Saturday's shambles.
I know this is a Meslier thread, but Dan James couldn’t even control the ball at his feet last weekend.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Orange Box wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:35 am I know this is a Meslier thread, but Dan James couldn’t even control the ball at his feet last weekend.
Pretty poor when a footballer can't control the ball.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Mes's favorite moments:
Source: https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1714735 ... eds-united
In Farke we trust...
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

The Matchstick Hologram!!!! :)
Attachments
098474a2147c10e222f04eca6ecccf99.jpg
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Musicman1965 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:41 pm The Matchstick Hologram!!!! :)
But I must admit, the stubble is a nice 80s, Miami Vice type touch on his baby face :lol:
In Farke we trust...
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

Watching Chelsea Arsenal at the moment

Both keepers awful and both have conceded howlers

Mes must be on Jan shopping lists.

Don’t know how high up the lists …. But on a few lists methinks
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

Has he ever played behind a decent defence
airedale
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by airedale »

Good keeper ,but he is so thin they have to play him in high vis kit .Protein shakes and big weights required young man .
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Pullhard wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:10 pm Watching Chelsea Arsenal at the moment

Both keepers awful and both have conceded howlers

Mes must be on Jan shopping lists.

Don’t know how high up the lists …. But on a few lists methinks
Massively overrated for me mate.

Decent enough young keeper, but a million miles away from a Top 6 club for me.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norwich City (a)

Good
3 saves
2 strong punches
1 catch

Bad

Summary
Much more efficient & alert awareness from Illan.

8/10
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

Rant and Concerns
Leeds United 4 v Huddersfield Town. 1

Absolute pathetic mistake from a goalkeeper that has had nothing to do throughout the game.
Now we are talking about the basics here, Meslier is going to cost the team dear if we do not make the change.
If you look at the season so far Leeds are heading at worst for a playoff position, this is of course is on current form.
With the championship being a marathon of games that finds out the teams with weaknesses and exploits everything to gain the advantage. Confidence in the defence is massive advantage, this has been enhanced with the new additions of Rodon and Byram, but
Meslier is a weakness, love him or hate him Big Sam recognised the problem straight away and replaced him with a more stable option.
We can not dismiss this as a new manager change, there has to be a substance in every decision and Big Sam is qualified. I say it now that we have a piece of dental floss occupying the space between our goal and until we realise that this needs to be addressed more goals will leak through the French holligram. FFS its Huddersfield, they scored a goal against us from absolutely nothing. Now ask yourself the question. its the payoff final and Meslier is in goal, do you feel confident????
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

I’ve said it several times here, and elsewhere, Meslier is a decent enough young keeper, but nothing more.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:11 pm I’ve said it several times here, and elsewhere, Meslier is a decent enough young keeper, but nothing more.
His save percentage is 64.9% the 5th lowest in the league.

He plays for the side who concede the fewest shots per game in the league.

The Leicester goalie is top of the save percentage with 83% and Ipswich goalie is 4th with 75%.

Meslier is an obvious weakness imo.

If he had a similar save percentage to the Leicester goalie we probably have atleast 3 or 4 more points.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

An error right out of the Gary Sprake scrapbook :roll:
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Cjay wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:37 pm His save percentage is 64.9% the 5th lowest in the league.

He plays for the side who concede the fewest shots per game in the league.

The Leicester goalie is top of the save percentage with 83% and Ipswich goalie is 4th with 75%.

Meslier is an obvious weakness imo.

If he had a similar save percentage to the Leicester goalie we probably have atleast 3 or 4 more points.
Backs up what I’m saying Cjay, he’s decent enough but overrated by many.

That said, he’s made a few one on one saves, which is his strength for me, which has earned us points in the past.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:32 pm Backs up what I’m saying Cjay, he’s decent enough but overrated by many.

That said, he’s made a few one on one saves, which is his strength for me, which has earned us points in the past.
Think he's a passable young keeper who may become a decent one.

Nothing more, he's not a strength in the sense Krul was for Farke at Norwich for example.

Think he benefits from crappy predecessor syndrome.

BPF had it for a while after replacing Wiedwald, he was less awful than his predecessor so people put up with him.

Think Meslier has that with Casilla.

A could be worse sort of protection
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

That is a filthy save

Brilliant from Meslier

Nothing to do all game till Bill came on

Great save
Signed

King Cjay

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Excellent save, earned us all 3 points, concentration right till the end.
Would've been robbed had that gone in though.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

If we weren't playing the style and formation we are i'd want a different keeper than Les Mes, we all know he can be 'flimsy' we all know he's not as commanding in the air as he should be, and we all know there's a mistake in him.

That goal v Hudds i don't panic about, that ball was struck well and i'm pretty sure i saw some wavering movement in it coz of the power, yes he should've done better, but keepers have mistakes in them.

But for LUFC atm Mes is ok, he's comfortable with his feet, thinking and passing, which is the vast majority of our and his play, he also has that top save from last night in him, he has bags of potential under some good coaching from a keeper, he's not too bad when he comes out to spread himself on the ground against an attacker.

He hasn't got it all, but he'll do for the present, and if we carry on in this style, we should make decent money on him coz there's not many out there good with their distribution and feet.

And he will improve, but we'll just have to live with his mistakes and hope like Hudds they're not costly.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)