Today's Games

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Today's Games

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:49 pm Ipswich are a good side, they bounced back from defeats at Preston/Cardiff & the four goals they conceded against us twice, they remained strong in adversity, stayed calm mentally & physically.

Good luck to them.
Exactly Leon, they did their job when it mattered.

They will get battered in the Prem, but doesn't matter as they did what was needed to get there.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:54 pm I genuinely am really concerned about our accounts if we stay down?

I don't understand how a team that owes nearly £200mil and only stands to receive £2,3mil whilst having its income stream dropped by a reduction in parachute payments can't be absolutely screwed financially?

Not on about PSR but just cash flow? £70mil is due in June apparently.

So we have to sell £70mil worth of players just to pay the bills before we even start a rebuild?

We need promotion :(
Yeah, as I have repeatedly said, we blew a lot of money on generally very poor signings in the Prem and this has put in this hole for many years. The main reason I want us to go up is to ease our financial burden. If you spend big then you have to stay in the Prem or you're financially screwed.

We've blown our first shot at promotion, with a whimper at the end of a good season.

We now have a second chance to get promoted via the play-offs and I hope we take it. But tbh, Farke and these players have been given umpteen chances by Ipswich, Leicester and Southampton to go up automatically and not taken them.

We've failed miserably when the going got tough, and our play-off record is horrendous. Just don't see us doing anything in the play-offs. Players will need to be sold, and the better ones will be looking to advance their careers. We still have all the loan rats to sort out too.

If we stay down we won't be in a position to bargain, so expect that the likes of Summerville, Gnonto and Ampadu will go for much cheaper than what we would get if promoted. Rodon won't be coming back either, and we will likely hang on to under performing players like Meslier, Cooper and Bamford as nobody will want them.

It will be grim if we stay down, but let's not forget that this is all an outcome of the way we were mismanaged in the Prem, it's not just the failure on the pitch this season that has lead to this situation.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

You're making it sound like all the Bert haters, are getting what they wished for :roll: tut tut.

And after he fixed it all anorl, with no money.

Typical LUFC fans, bite their noses off.

On a - all too regular basis.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:22 pm I suspect we play the ball backwards more than any club in the country, boring & so frustrating!
And that's purely down to Farke
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

White Riot wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:41 am Yeah, as I have repeatedly said, we blew a lot of money on generally very poor signings in the Prem and this has put in this hole for many years. The main reason I want us to go up is to ease our financial burden. If you spend big then you have to stay in the Prem or you're financially screwed.

We've blown our first shot at promotion, with a whimper at the end of a good season.

We now have a second chance to get promoted via the play-offs and I hope we take it. But tbh, Farke and these players have been given umpteen chances by Ipswich, Leicester and Southampton to go up automatically and not taken them.

We've failed miserably when the going got tough, and our play-off record is horrendous. Just don't see us doing anything in the play-offs. Players will need to be sold, and the better ones will be looking to advance their careers. We still have all the loan rats to sort out too.

If we stay down we won't be in a position to bargain, so expect that the likes of Summerville, Gnonto and Ampadu will go for much cheaper than what we would get if promoted. Rodon won't be coming back either, and we will likely hang on to under performing players like Meslier, Cooper and Bamford as nobody will want them.

It will be grim if we stay down, but let's not forget that this is all an outcome of the way we were mismanaged in the Prem, it's not just the failure on the pitch this season that has lead to this situation.
I think the signings under Bielsa were fine in general, the issue came with Marsch who added a lot of expensive players that he couldn't coach.

Right sided CB's are fairly easy to find, left sided are rare but we have two of those. I do think Cresswell is Championship proven

If we do go up it'll be a tough bottom 5 season under Farke with a number of big defeats. We'd likely be bottom half for 2/3 years. Think we'd do fairly well in the Championship. I'd expect top 8
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:08 am And that's purely down to Farke
He needs to change our approach play, as it's predictable & bores the pants off the majority of our fans.

It far removed from being innovative as it generally puts our defenders under pressure when pressed with Meslier booting the ball up field, no point if we are going to concede the ball so easily.

Surely with the pace of attacking players, we should be playing the ball down the flanks or over the top.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Just need to be more direct & aggressive in the future.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:48 pm I was wondering which accountancy period they will show up in. Not the ones published which show those huge loses.
From what I understand we pay £35M a year in wages this season, which will not rise if we stay down.
Tranfers wise we spent 2M more than we brought in on Adams. Sini will be from June.

I think our owners will have to think up some creative ways to inject some dosh into the coffers.
1st parachute payments would be 23/24 accounts so next year they'll be released?

As you say it will include the money for Adams and Sinisterra, people like Rodrigo, Aaronson, Roca etc off the wage bill.

But also the £30-35mil we spent on signings.

But I'd be amazed if our wage bill is as low as you say, £35mil?

I think people will be shocked how large a budget DF has been given this season, £35mil wage bill is less than Bielsa got 1st season.

Our wages for last year were £146mil according to the accounts.

If we assume that it was reduced by 50-60% by Radz's wage reduction clauses its about £50-60mil.

We've lost people like Rodders who will be a high earner bur also added Premier League wages from Rodon and Ampadu and Spence and Roberts and Piroe will be on a big wage as his pedigree was high when we signed him.

I expect one of the largest Championship wage bills ever which is what that £50-60mil estimate would be.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:20 am That's really baffled me all year. I think Cresswell and Joseph have each only made 2 appearances for the 21's. I don't think Gelhardt or Shackleton have played for them once.
It's a strange one.

With Bielsa you worried the players would get injured and he may need them.

But DF has players he simply refuses to use and yet he won't let them play u21 football.

So if we needed them they would be massively undercooked match fitness wise.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

White Riot wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:41 am Yeah, as I have repeatedly said, we blew a lot of money on generally very poor signings in the Prem and this has put in this hole for many years. The main reason I want us to go up is to ease our financial burden. If you spend big then you have to stay in the Prem or you're financially screwed.

I'm genuinely concerned about the finances.

It's why I've said all season It's a 1 shot deal, DF has one shot because we NEED it this season.

He is meant to be the sure thing, safe option, when it matters his experience will make the difference, its been the opposite.

Now he needs to pick the players up.

Radz managed the club badly in the Prem as you say, paying on the never never and now here we are with a transfer debt larger than most of the Premier League.

We need to win the playoffs for our own sake.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:46 am He needs to change our approach play, as it's predictable & bores the pants off the majority of our fans.

It far removed from being innovative as it generally puts our defenders under pressure when pressed with Meslier booting the ball up field, no point if we are going to concede the ball so easily.

Surely with the pace of attacking players, we should be playing the ball down the flanks or over the top.
He isn't going to change, he's stubborn like most managers and this is his style.

Without starting WW3.

You travel up and down the country watching us (credit to you).

You've just said his style is boring to watch (fully agree).

If we don't go up this season he's fundamentally failed in his primary objective.

Can talk about 90 points but ultimately without promotion its irrelevant as two other teams got more and doesn't sound as impressive when you are on 82 points after 38 games and 90 after 45.

He's going to finish on less points than MB with a much larger budget what ever happens.

You've said before it's predictable and easy to defend against unless Jimmy or Georgie does something (players who probably won't be here next season without promotion).

You've criticised our set piece which is something DF has struggled with before (so clearly a trait of his coaching).

Our lack of goals and things from midfield.

Poor subs, poor game management etc.

You've pointed out all these flaws with DF, but you give the impression if this season goes wrong you'd want him staying?

Why?

You don't enjoy the style, it won't have been ultimately successful, so genuinely why?

(Just a question a discussion let's not all overreact) :)
Signed

King Cjay

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cjay wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:21 pm 1st parachute payments would be 23/24 accounts so next year they'll be released?

As you say it will include the money for Adams and Sinisterra, people like Rodrigo, Aaronson, Roca etc off the wage bill.

But also the £30-35mil we spent on signings.

But I'd be amazed if our wage bill is as low as you say, £35mil?

I think people will be shocked how large a budget DF has been given this season, £35mil wage bill is less than Bielsa got 1st season.

Our wages for last year were £146mil according to the accounts.

If we assume that it was reduced by 50-60% by Radz's wage reduction clauses its about £50-60mil.

We've lost people like Rodders who will be a high earner bur also added Premier League wages from Rodon and Ampadu and Spence and Roberts and Piroe will be on a big wage as his pedigree was high when we signed him.

I expect one of the largest Championship wage bills ever which is what that £50-60mil estimate would be.
This was the source I used.

https://salarysport.com/football/champi ... ds-united/

I wouldn't swear by it but it seems reasonable
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:14 pm This was the source I used.

https://salarysport.com/football/champi ... ds-united/

I wouldn't swear by it but it seems reasonable
That would be an average wage bill based on thay of under 9000 a week.
We had the 11th highest average wage bill in the Premier League last season according to the official accounts.

Even halving that is £73mil.

We know from court documents they were going to pay JKA over £90k a week.

I'd imagine people like Rutter and Bamford will have been paid similar so even halved thats £5mil between them.
Signed

King Cjay

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cjay wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:10 pm That would be an average wage bill based on thay of under 9000 a week.
We had the 11th highest average wage bill in the Premier League last season according to the official accounts.

Even halving that is £73mil.

We know from court documents they were going to pay JKA over £90k a week.

I'd imagine people like Rutter and Bamford will have been paid similar so even halved thats £5mil between them.
That list was for the players currently at the club. Apart from those who left in January
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:28 pm That list was for the players currently at the club. Apart from those who left in January
Well hopefully it's right for our sake.

Just be extremely surprised.

Thats less than Farke had 1st season at Norwich or Bielsa 1st season here.

If we managed to trim over £100mil off our wage bill I'd be amazed.

I'm expecting in the £50-60mil mark or even more.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:37 pm He isn't going to change, he's stubborn like most managers and this is his style.

Without starting WW3.

You travel up and down the country watching us (credit to you).

You've just said his style is boring to watch (fully agree).

If we don't go up this season he's fundamentally failed in his primary objective.

Can talk about 90 points but ultimately without promotion its irrelevant as two other teams got more and doesn't sound as impressive when you are on 82 points after 38 games and 90 after 45.

He's going to finish on less points than MB with a much larger budget what ever happens.

You've said before it's predictable and easy to defend against unless Jimmy or Georgie does something (players who probably won't be here next season without promotion).

You've criticised our set piece which is something DF has struggled with before (so clearly a trait of his coaching).

Our lack of goals and things from midfield.

Poor subs, poor game management etc.

You've pointed out all these flaws with DF, but you give the impression if this season goes wrong you'd want him staying?

Why?

You don't enjoy the style, it won't have been ultimately successful, so genuinely why?

(Just a question a discussion let's not all overreact) :)
Farke has his faults, I believe changing managers is not always beneficial.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Villa 2-0 down and getting carved up like a Christmas turkey.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

White Riot wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:31 pm Villa 2-0 down and getting carved up like a Christmas turkey.
Did really well Olympiakos.

Really smart game plan.

Good coach Mendilibar.

Been around a long time.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:31 am Farke has his faults, I believe changing managers is not always beneficial.
Fair enough.

Thanks for the response.
Signed

King Cjay

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:20 pm Did really well Olympiakos.

Really smart game plan.

Good coach Mendilibar.

Been around a long time.
Yeah, pretty easy win for them and everything came to fruition.

I think British teams generally struggle against coaches and technically gifted players that take a different approach to football.

Things are not so predictable and you can clearly see that foreign players are not just these athletic machines like Rice and Gallagher who just run and tackle. We churn out players like that by the dozen and any talented ones have their ability trained out of them.

Emery is usually a craft operator, and I know the Villa fans adore him, but he got caught out last night.

Nice to see Xabi Alonso doing so well and proof that you don't need to have Megabucks to succeed, it's exciting and refreshing.