Pascal Struijk

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Pascal Struijk - Hernia problem!

Post by DDB220 »

Madron wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:03 pm Not sure its quite as drastic as that. Kamara and Archie (not Gruev) have both played MF ,just not together. Apparently Amps has played CB before so to a player of his calibre it shouldn't be a problem. Not sure its really a case of square pegs really.....
My biggest concern is with LC. He is an accident waiting to happen and a liability, simply not good enough any more.
Who plays RB in your tactical set up ? I am assuming it is Ayling.

You will give CJAY palpitations.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Once Spence is fit and firing on all cylinders our tactical options change for the better in a number of ways.

However, the injury to Struijk is just one example of a key player who will unavailable during the course of the season. Plenty more to come.
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

DDB220 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:05 pm Who plays RB in your tactical set up ? I am assuming it is Ayling.

It would have been Shacks but apparently he's out.
Maybe the F word? :)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:46 pm Tbf 3 of those have been regulars in a defence that conceded 219 league goals in 3 seasons.

Not sure Bert had any long term positive effect on them because those numbers are shocking by any standards.

And Bielsa wasn't a coach known for his defensive skills ever.

The opposite in fact, his teams concede lots of goals.

So did he improve those players long term? No I wouldn't say so.
I'm sensing an obvious attempt to pass ammo to the Indians.

Safe to say I tended to use my eyes to judge Bert when he had his best players available and when he didn't, and not have to rely on the internet and stats, and i distinctly remember saying that players like KP etc would return to the bob standard players they once were without him, and that wasn't in hindsight, it was predicted, like i predicted our heavy defeats coming before they did.

Because i understood what he was ALL about.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

DDB220 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:01 pm The stats are undeniable about how many we conceded. But there is plenty of contradictory evidence to your uneducated assumption that defence was not a strong point of Bielsa’s.

Go back over your posts when Weasel eloquently countered the theory that Bielsa had tactical defensive issues.

The reality is what he had at his disposal in terms of players was not good enough to play his system during our second prem season. Perhaps his refusal to change tactics is a matter of debate - but this is his style - risk and reward.
Ironically, Uruguay are not doing too bad defensively of late.
Bielsa played with the players at his disposal I agree but he continued the same policy of all out attack which was suicidal in the end
He tried taking teams on like Liverpool and Man city and playing them at their own game when they had far better players common sense tells you to go with a more defensive approach games we may have only lost by a couple of goals turned in to absolute hidings it became embarrassing towards the end
The owners were to blame for the lack of investment but bielsa did not help himself trying to continue playing the same way when we did not have the players to do it

This is what is facing farke now and these issues we are having now regarding lack of cover in certain areas were obvious at the start of the season it's too late trying to sort it out later on that's why up to now the 49ers have done nothing to suggest they are any better than radrizanni and orta
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Madron wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:03 pm Not sure its quite as drastic as that. Kamara and Archie (not Gruev) have both played MF ,just not together. Apparently Amps has played CB before so to a player of his calibre it shouldn't be a problem. Not sure its really a case of square pegs really.....
My biggest concern is with LC. He is an accident waiting to happen and a liability, simply not good enough any more.
I see your point and case, but with what Elland's just put about Plymouth going on the front foot on the match thread, too many changes isn't gonna suit us.

Like you've pointed out Gray/ Kamara is untried, and neither is Rodon/ Ampadu, if Plymouth come at us through the middle all guns blazing like Soton and a few of our players in new slots, especially down the middle, i sense trouble.

I'm concerned about LC's ability to step in, especially after recent cameos, so i'd perhaps get myself ready to change it with a plan B if it's going bad. But i'd be starting LC if he's showing it in training.

Perhaps better to take this to the match thread now ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:18 pm I'm sensing an obvious attempt to pass ammo to the Indians.

Safe to say I tended to use my eyes to judge Bert when he had his best players available and when he didn't, and not have to rely on the internet and stats, and i distinctly remember saying that players like KP etc would return to the bob standard players they once were without him, and that wasn't in hindsight, it was predicted, like i predicted our heavy defeats coming before they did.

Because i understood what he was ALL about.
OK not going to argue but fact remains his reputation is as a manager whose teams concede a lot of goals.

Lille
Marseille
Us
Bilbao

All did.

And player quality isn't an excuse for all of them.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:34 pm OK not going to argue but fact remains his reputation is as a manager whose teams concede a lot of goals.

Lille
Marseille
Us
Bilbao

All did.

And player quality isn't an excuse for all of them.
It's been done to death, and Weasel did it best.

I have absolutely no doubt that Bert 100% went with the attitude of 'we'll score more than you'

Come rain or shine.

;@)
geronimo
First Team
First Team

Post by geronimo »

DDB220 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:08 pm Once Spence is fit and firing on all cylinders our tactical options change for the better in a number of ways.

However, the injury to Struijk is just one example of a key player who will unavailable during the course of the season. Plenty more to come.
But spence is a stopgap same as rodon the bottom line is the whole back four needs a complete overhaul we are relying on luck on players not getting injuries instead of having adequate cover in place
If this lot went up this season three quarters of the team would need replacing
geronimo
First Team
First Team

Post by geronimo »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:39 pm It's been done to death, and Weasel did it best.

I have absolutely no doubt that Bert 100% went with the attitude of 'we'll score more than you'

Come rain or shine.
All out attack only works if you have the players to do it and the money to invest in players like city and Liverpool
Bielsa got away with it in the championship because the opposition were a lower standard once we went up the cracks started to appear if we had a board who had backed him financially it might have worked out differently
That's why unless the yanks seriously invest in this club the same thing will happen all over again only this time it will be farke facing the chop
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

DDB220 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:05 pm Who plays RB in your tactical set up ? I am assuming it is Ayling.

giphy-3.gif
giphy-3.gif (4.67 MiB) Viewed 361 times
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jeez,

Bert, money, and a good scout.

Sends a shiver.

;@)
geronimo
First Team
First Team

Post by geronimo »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:12 pm Jeez,

Bert, money, and a good scout.

Sends a shiver.

a tactician without his tools is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard
Success is judged on winning trophies not playing pretty football fella
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Pascal Struijk

Post by John in Louisiana »

1964white wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:47 pm
That's a major blow!
Forgive my rudeness, but that could be what caused the hernia.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: Pascal Struijk

Post by lufc1304 »

John in Louisiana wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:37 am Forgive my rudeness, but that could be what caused the hernia.
:lol: :lol: :clap:
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

geronimo wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:42 pm But spence is a stopgap same as rodon the bottom line is the whole back four needs a complete overhaul we are relying on luck on players not getting injuries instead of having adequate cover in place
If this lot went up this season three quarters of the team would need replacing
Why are you worried about what needs to happen IF we go up. You were convinced and repetitively stated that we won’t go up and to even consider the possibility was delusional. You did write some other guff but my eyes tended to glaze over reading some of your posts.

Is it the case now that you have contracted this delusion. A delusion you claimed so many posters on this forum to suffer from.

Here’s the trick, it never was delusion it was an assessment based on how the squad has shaped up and the quality of the opposition.

But do not be down hearted - if we do go up you can ramble on about how we will sell all our best players, not buy any quality players and will be favourites to get relegated next season.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

For your inbformation, Gruev played in defence las time out for Bulgeria and got slated by the press for his performance.

Why do I have the feeling Firpo will start at LB and Byram will move to RB
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
geronimo
First Team
First Team

Post by geronimo »

DDB220 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:24 am Why are you worried about what needs to happen IF we go up. You were convinced and repetitively stated that we won’t go up and to even consider the possibility was delusional. You did write some other guff but my eyes tended to glaze over reading some of your posts.

Is it the case now that you have contracted this delusion. A delusion you claimed so many posters on this forum to suffer from.

Here’s the trick, it never was delusion it was an assessment based on how the squad has shaped up and the quality of the opposition.

But do not be down hearted - if we do go up you can ramble on about how we will sell all our best players, not buy any quality players and will be favourites to get relegated next season.
Whether we go up or stay put the fact remains we are using temporary players or using players that are not good enough in that position
What part of that don't you understand exactly ? 😁
I said we won't go up and I stand by that now nothing as happened to change my mind so how is that delusional
The delusion rests with fans like yourself who think we can go up on a wing and a prayer without having strength in depth in The squad and without spending any money apart from what we make on selling players
Come back when you know what your talking about its like shelling peas on here 😆
Last edited by geronimo on Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

whiteinfrance wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:27 am For your inbformation, Gruev played in defence las time out for Bulgeria and got slated by the press for his performance.

Why do I have the feeling Firpo will start at LB and Byram will move to RB
Is Archie also out ?

I think Ayling is way ahead of Firpo in DF’s options whatever the situation.

He did say Firpo after the Int break. I think Firpo will be ok against some of the teams in games where we dominate possession. He has always looked pretty good going forwards and he is very decent on the ball. He just isn’t a defender. I always think of the old classic film ‘Mean Machine’ when he has to defend.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

geronimo wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:30 am Whether we go up or stay put the fact remains we are using temporary players or using players that are not good enough in that position
What part of that don't you understand exactly ? 😁
I give up - carry on Pike.

(Jay do not get excited this is a Dad’s Army reference only)