Patrick Bamford

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Patrick Bamford

Post by billysboots »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:11 am For the life of me, I can’t understand how anyone thinks Paddy is not a PL striker. He’s the sixth- leading scorer in the league, plus he does a world of things no other striker is called upon to do.

There isn’t another striker on the planet who would do everything Bielsa demands as enthusiastically as Paddy.

I always thought he’d be better in the EPL as he’d have more room in which to operate, but he’s delivered beyond anything we could have hoped for.

We could use a backup for him, but why on earth would we want to spend the money required to bring in someone who might get us four or five more goals over 40 games but could never do all the other things Bamford does?
👍
There Is Only One United.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:11 am For the life of me, I can’t understand how anyone thinks Paddy is not a PL striker. He’s the sixth- leading scorer in the league, plus he does a world of things no other striker is called upon to do.
This is the Bielsaball phenomenon. It's difficult to compare one players to those in the same positions in other teams on a 1 v. 1 basis because ours are expected to do more than one role and play in more than one position. You can argue others are better at finishing than Bamford but at the same time, stone cold facts force you to concede that they don't have the legs, stamina, work rate, communication, closing down, pressing or all of the above to match him in the rest of those arenas.

Could the mighty Sergio Aguero run and press for 90+ minutes these days? I have my doubts. And in this team, his lethality as a no9 won't matter one bit if he's not working in tandem with everyone else in the system.

In Bielsaball all players are cogs in the glorious machine. If those cogs aren't built to precise specification then the machine begins to fall apart. Generally speaking, if he's not scoring enough then it's not actually his fault, rather it's other cogs not turning well enough for him to operate smoothly. The more I look back the more I realise that.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

There isn’t another striker on the planet who would do everything Bielsa demands as enthusiastically as Paddy.

I always thought he’d be better in the EPL as he’d have more room in which to operate, but he’s delivered beyond anything we could have hoped for.

We could use a backup for him, but why on earth would we want to spend the money required to bring in someone who might get us four or five more goals over 40 games but could never do all the other things Bamford does?
Spot on John...it is baffling...
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

The Year of the Bamford
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

I enjoyed that, some of the opposition players look very surprised as the ball goes in. 🙂
There Is Only One United.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

billysboots wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:44 am I enjoyed that, some of the opposition players look very surprised as the ball goes in. 🙂
I won't lie, I had the same look at times. Gradually grown less shocked as the season's gone on. :)

Well done, Paddy.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I really need to stop reading this thread ...or my paranoia is kicking in...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Bagged a few this season , wonder if he has proved his worth beyond the running around and hold up play.
Hats of to Mr Bamford
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Lord Patrick Bamford - Should Paddy Be Selected in Southgate's Euro Squad?

Post by Smudge3920 »

Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Lord Patrick Bamford...

Post by Smudge3920 »

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: Lord Patrick Bamford...

Post by mothbanquet »

Brilliant stuff :clap: :clap: :clap:

But I wouldn't wish Southgate upon him, no way.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Lord Patrick Bamford - Should Paddy Be Selected in Southgate's Euro Squad?

Post by HarryofOz »

He deserves it, but I don't think England's style of football will bring out the best that he has to offer. Still hope he makes it though.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Hope not. Last thing we need is Southgate ruining more of our players and given Kalvin's treatment from England fans, I would want Paddy to play for a team that appreciates him.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Id like him to get a Cap just because he deserves it for this season.

I dont think he is International class, i dont think his finishing is that level and England fans would tear him to bits (look at KP).

Southgate would play him left wing or something
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

SG90 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:43 am I would want Paddy to play for a team that appreciates him.
US, US, US, US, US...

Says everyone here in Ireland (well, the lower bit of the island!).

He played for us underage, his Mum is Irish, his sisters are named something like Ciara and Sinead and afaik the family did the whole Irish dancing thing growing up.

Oh and he'd be about 10 times better than any other player togging out at the moment...
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Mountain wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:23 am US, US, US, US, US...

Says everyone here in Ireland (well, the lower bit of the island!).

He played for us underage, his Mum is Irish, his sisters are named something like Ciara and Sinead and afaik the family did the whole Irish dancing thing growing up.

Oh and he'd be about 10 times better than any other player togging out at the moment...
Honestly? I think he'd be appreciated a lot more for it too, and he'd be a damn fine ambassador between nations, like a Jack Charlton 2.0 in that regard. He does rely heavily on quality of service though, except when he's playing Villa.
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Would totally deserve it- but from a Leeds United supporters point of view would personally hate it.
Southgate would ruin him and he would probably become a scapegoat for England's lack of goals and creativity at the Euros.
Let him have a well deserved summer break to come back refreshed and ready to bang in the goals for us next season.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I see where everyone is coming from with the Southgate/England fans factor.

Paddy still deserves his chance to play for England, apart from Kane which English striker is better & more deserving than Bamford?
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:29 am Honestly? I think he'd be appreciated a lot more for it too, and he'd be a damn fine ambassador between nations, like a Jack Charlton 2.0 in that regard. He does rely heavily on quality of service though, except when he's playing Villa.
I think he'd be carried shoulder high from the airport!

Grealish and Rice also played for Ireland underage and went on to declare for, and play for, England. They'd be fairly despised here for that, they both left Ireland waiting for ages and clearly were guided by agents looking at their transfer value. Bamford is different, he is intelligent enough to explain that he was born in England and so that was his first choice, and I think everyone here would accept that. No one really minds a player who would have played for England first, Andy Townsend has pretty much said that about his career, it was the messing around by Grealish and Rice that really upset Irish fans.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I see where everyone is coming from with the Southgate/England fans factor.

Paddy still deserves his chance to play for England, apart from Kane which English striker is better & more deserving than Bamford?