Leicester v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leicester v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by Genghers »

theleedsmango wrote:I guess our best formation to fit in our creative/in form players is

-------------------Kenny-----------------------
--Peltier----Lees--------Pearce--Warnock--
-------------------Green----------------------
------------------Austin----------------------
-------------------Tonge---------------------
-----------------Murphy----------------------
-----------------McCormack-----------------
-------------------Poleon------------------

Leicester aren't getting through the middle that's for sure.
:lol:

You suggesting Pearce is in form?!

Just remembered I had a dream where Tom Lees got injured last night... We'd be buggered if he went - we only have Killock to fill in!
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

Genghers wrote:
Well I think those are our best four defenders currently fit and active, and that's the best line up for them. Plus Pearce appears to be improving slightly, another CB for Pearce and Lees to partner who they can learn off would be ideal. But point taken!
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Genghers wrote: :lol:

Just remembered I had a dream where Tom Lees got injured last night... We'd be buggered if he went - we only have Killock to fill in!

Peltier moves back into the middle surely?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

faaip wrote:Peltier moves back into the middle surely?
Who would go to RB? Thompson doesn't look the finished article to me. Green has played there before I suppose.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

maybe so, but I think we'd need experience in the middle first...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

Makes sense
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Starting: Kenny, Peltier, Lees, Pearce, Warnock, Green, Murphy, Austin, McCormack, Hunt, Varney.

Subs: Ashdown, Brown, Drury, White, Tonge, Smith, Poleon
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Post by drsdadsotherson »

I'm pretty sure if the ball hits the ref he's NOT supposed to then try and backheel it to the intended player....
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Martyn »

Especially when he has a touch like Carlton Palmer
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Post by drsdadsotherson »

My in depth report...

That'll do. Next.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Martyn »

Sums it up.

Clean sheet, good away point. Bring on Sheffield Wednesday
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

A very organised performance, and a well won point. I thought that the defence as a unit played very well - the central pairing of Lees and Pierce were particularly effective, ably assisted, when required, by Austin. The full backs also defended well, however only Warnock was prominent in attack, as Peltier going forward made the wrong decision on several occasions. Kenny, as a result, had very little to do, and was only troubled by an individual effort from Wood.

Murphy and Austin were a good pairing in midfield, and the former looks a very good buy. Green ran around vigorously, but his passing was not up to scratch. McCormack clearly does not like playing on the wing, and was much more effective, when moved to the head of the diamond in the second half.

Hunt and Varney were very much of a muchness. Both willing workers, but neither looked likely to score. We were slightly more dangerous when Poleon and Smith came on in the second half. However, it was plain to see where Brian needs to concentrate on recruitment. Some width and a pacy striker are what is needed the most. A top quality centre half would not go amiss, but the attacking sphere is where we lack at the moment.

So, all in all, a good point, and we could have nicked it. Brian is managing excellently with what he has, but to contend, we will need more. For Leon's benefit my mom was Tom Lees, just in front of Rudolph Austin.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Martyn »

Noticeable that when Smith came on he won every header.

We desperately need some pace on the wings to deliver dangerous crosses for him - regardless of whether that pace comes from wingers or overlapping full backs
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

This game was very much about stopping Leicester rather than creating anything ourselves and I thought we did that pretty well. Lees and Pearce looked better but Austin provided great cover in front of them. We hoofed the ball far too much for my liking missing out Murphy, Green ans McCormack in the middle, we are better when we play the ball on the ground.

Still not convinced about Varney and Hunt up front together, they don't offer anything different from each other, we were far more of a threat when Poleon came on.

Still, a decent point away from home.
ash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ash »

A good away point was disappointed how much we gave the ball away. Too much long stuff but I guess it will take time to turn around.
The original TWAT. The one and only real TWAT.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Austin made captain for the season, that kinda surprised me. Thought he did well, but wondering if he can build on this and keep that intensity up the whole season? Bit shoddy on passing he was too. We definitely need a CB, if for nothing else, in-case Pearce or Lees get an extended injury. When Lees went down hard after a nice interception, I pretty much held my breath until he got back up again and ran it off. On the post-match interview, McD said if Byram didn't respond to light training this week, then it's an operation for him. We could REALLY use him in place of Pelts. Overall, clean sheet and a decent point against a always tough team.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Pretty much agree with all the above but for me it was three points wasted i,m afraid.
As a team we played well enough but didn,t beat a very average side in leicester,anyone agree?
For me you could clearly see why they did not win play offs and probably why we might not make them.
I thought the game was all to touchy feely and poor delivery in main areas.
I am impressed with BMCD mark on this Leeds team and as a unit look hungry and willing but lacking certainly with final delivery and slow but eager to cover back on the counter.that,s
Now my summing up is a bit trashy for some readers but we,re all agreed that this squad is not to far away and two or three better players can be all that,s needed a bit of flairis one thing but a wee bit of class from one or two players and wer,e back in business.MOT.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Guildford White wrote:Noticeable that when Smith came on he won every header.

As he should do, with his height! Just wish our players would learn to head the ball DOWN, in front of goal. :roll:

Still, it was a good scrap today and the correct result, I feel. Still too much hoof from us and our attacking crosses into their box were collected too easily by son of scum. We did play a fair bit of decent passing football though :tup:
Our defence was just one big scramble, every time the crisps attacked. Nobody seemed to know who they were marking? But they kept the clean sheet, despite letting the crisps through on goal. Lees was very good tho and I had my heart in my mouth when he got injured
Kenny seemed to be in a contest with SOS as to which keeper could get most punches on the ball, but was rarely troubled. Did what he was supposed to and came out well to deny the striker through on goal, after Pearce (?) lost him. Except for that free kick that went straight out of play on the left, he was good and solid. There, I said it! :roll:
Rodi was a powerhouse and Murphy is the perfect foil for him in MF. Green runs about a lot and slips over even more (did he have boots on today, or trainers?), but put in a good shift. That one wild defensive hammer away for a corner scared the crap out of everyone tho!
Thought Varney was lazy today - not at the races at all. Was expecting more from him. Hunt and Ross huffed and puffed and never really looked like scoring. Can't fault the effort tho, as colin would say. :twisted:
Was noticeable the immediate effect Dom had when he came on. Crisps immediately on the back foot and marking him with two defenders. Idem Smith. Bullying defenders and winning every header, as mentioned above.
Can't say owt about Tonge, as he wasn't on long enough to even muss up his well groomed hair. :wink:

MaccyD will be the happier of the two managers tonight. A good, hard won away point :tup:

Our fans were bluddy excellent! That WALL in the first half must have lasted 30 mins! :shock: And did I hear WATCCOE sung at the proper speed?
Kepler
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Kepler »

Genghers wrote: :lol:

For me Austin was MOM today, with pearce just behind him. Brilliant performance from our nr. 5 today

Winning doesn't really matter as longe as you win
- Vinnie Jones
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Enough to see us go top this saturday and hopefully a good run can be on we,ll need one for sure.