Players ratings v Coventry

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Players ratings v Coventry

Post by 1964white »

Brown -7
Connolly -8
O'Brien -7
Collins - 6
McCartney - 7
Snoddy - 9
Faye - 6
Howson - 9
Killa - 7
Gradel - 8
Becchio - 7

Hughes - 7
Johnson - 6
Somma - 6

Two class performances from Snoddy & Howson, well worked goal crafted by Snoddy who planted the ball on Howson's head, similar move occurred again a few minutes later, Snoddy cross & looked a goal all the way when Howson headed the ball just past the post. Snoddy again caused mayhem when he ran at the Coventry defenders before producing a wonderful curling shot to make it 2-0. Gradel was also giving their right back a torrid time & won the penalty himself with his endeavour, Max shot us into a 3-1 lead from the spot. Becchio surprisingly won more headers v a bigger team, worked hard & was better
Faye also improved his performance after a poor display at Scunny. Killa was neat & tidy & produced a couple of decent passes into the channels, we look a better team with Killa, playing Faye too releases Howson to play in the hole & do what Jonny does best by making great runs into the box
As for our defence, Brown did well & made a really good save near the end to keep the scoreline 3-2, really impressed with Connolly who i think is a decent RB, McCartney did well, O'Brien was steady, Collins played to combat the ariel threat of the Sky Blues frontmen, NC looked a bit shaky at times. i do feel that Grayson made the right decision though as i reckon Bruce could have been bullied by the Cov strikers.
The first goal happened when we were down to 10 men after McCartney was made to go off after having the ball smacked into his face - What a stupid rule this is where teams are asked to defend with 10 men because of an injury. Coventry scored as McCartney looked on
We always look like we have goals in us but i worry about the fact that we struggle to keep a clean sheet, the game at 2-0 & 3-1 should have been killed off :!: Hey ho we are Leeds & we always seem to make hard work of what is a simple game really. Great win, great 3 points. Bring on the Codheads :scarf1:
CardiffWhite
First Team
First Team

Re: Players ratings v Coventry

Post by CardiffWhite »

I enjoyed the first half, but the second half had my nerves in tatters. We look good attacking and I think we're quite good in that department. Seeing Howson's miss was frustrating as he was so close. Howson, Snodgrass and Gradel were all very good. I was also impressed with Faye it sounds like he is getting better? The defence was alright at times, but there were times when the game looked like a pin-ball machine to me. If we could just the improve the defence some more, we'd look morel like a complete team.

Didn't think too much of the Coventry support - so much for their plan to out-sing us. :lol:

Took my camera this time and got a few videos and a couple of photos - will compress them and upload to youtube over the few days when I get some time.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CardiffWhite wrote:I enjoyed the first half, but the second half had my nerves in tatters. We look good attacking and I think we're quite good in that department. Seeing Howson's miss was frustrating as he was so close. Howson, Snodgrass and Gradel were all very good. I was also impressed with Faye it sounds like he is getting better? The defence was alright at times, but there were times when the game looked like a pin-ball machine to me. If we could just the improve the defence some more, we'd look morel like a complete team.

Didn't think too much of the Coventry support - so much for their plan to out-sing us. :lol:

Took my camera this time and got a few videos and a couple of photos - will compress them and upload to youtube over the few days when I get some time.
Cannot understand why we bring every man back at set-pieces, leaving us no outlet when the ball is cleared.
Surely if we leave at least one player up such as Gradel the opposition have to leave one or two players to mark him, also if our players are aware where Gradel is positioned our defenders should try to clear the ball in the area where Max is positioned as oppose to hoofing it anywhere.

Faye was better today

Coventry support was poor

Get those photo's posted on here Cardiff, beware though i was on the 2nd row from the front directly behind the netting when Howson & Snoddy scored :clap: :clap2: :scarf2:
Last edited by 1964white on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

double post
joluafc4eva

Post by joluafc4eva »

1964white wrote:double post
We were on the first row directly behind the goal - so must have been just infront of you :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

joluafc4eva wrote: We were on the first row directly behind the goal - so must have been just infront of you :-D
Row B seat 2 Jo
joluafc4eva

Post by joluafc4eva »

We were Row A, seats 10 and 11
1964white

Post by 1964white »

joluafc4eva wrote:We were Row A, seats 10 and 11
To the left of me

Sorry i missed you :(
joluafc4eva

Post by joluafc4eva »

Sorry I missed you too :?
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

We got three, who gives a fupp, we're Super Leeds, and we're moving up.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote: Snoddy - 9

Two class performances from Snoddy & Howson, well worked goal crafted by Snoddy who planted the ball on Howson's head, similar move occurred again a few minutes later, Snoddy cross & looked a goal all the way when Howson headed the ball just past the post. Snoddy again caused mayhem when he ran at the Coventry defenders before producing a wonderful curling shot to make it 2-0.
Good thing Grayson didn't follow my advice and drop Snoddy
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Good thing Grayson didn't follow my advice and drop Snoddy
I gave him a rating of 4 at Scunny & if other players such as Watt, Sam, McCormack had been totally fit his place may have been in jeopardy, we have to remember he had very little pre-season & needs to play to get match fit again

Yesterday particularly in the first half Snoddy was awesome, his first touch on the ball was better, he was more direct & choosed the right options & his work rate was stronger, Howson was always there as an outlet for Snoddy to exploit

Fantastic performances from Snoddy & Howson
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

My Ratings from being at the game yest :-

Brown 6 - didnt really have much chance with any of the goals
Connelly - 7 I dont think he did much wrong
Collins - 6 handled their big guy well before he went off stuggled thereafter at set plays which is where he shd dominate
O'Brien - 6 Steady game but along with Collins shd have taken more control at Cov Set pieces
McCartney - 7 - Thought he did well for the majority of the game.
Snoddy - 8 - Much more like the snoddy of old
Howson - 8 - This new role suits him just great - Even twiggs must agree ( LOL )
Killa 7 -As far as I am concerned our midfield is never as good unless he is playing
Faye - 7 - Much improved, got his foot in much more & showed strength in winning 50/50's - hopfully cos fitness is back
Gradel - 7 - I like the energy this guy brings to our team, great effort he puts in - won the pen with good trickery.
Becchio - 7 - Fought hard all thro the game - ran his socks off

All three Subs - 6 ! Didnt do much to influence game.

Firts of all I have to say, very impressed with Ricoh - lovely ground. It was fantastic seeing the leeds end jam packed and just as the song went " the ground was full of leeds fans " . I unfortunately was in the Tesco Stand and whilst I loved the game ( and final score ) I hated being stuck around moaning, whingeing Cov fans. How I wanted to tell them to shut the Fcuk up and sing MOT but decided that it probably wudnt have been the wisest of things to do LOL

Match wise, I thought we started really brightly, just like boro match and got our just rewards with the goal from Howson.
It really shd have been 2 from Johnny just after......then we kind of sat back a bit, again like boro match although they didnt have many clear cut chances, one or two goalmouth scrambles thats all. I was still grabbing a pint at HT when I heard the cheer and saw the Cov goal on the TV :-( Thank God Gradel restored order with the pen so soon after

From then on it was so nerve racking, especially when Cov got their 2nd.......never looked at my watch so much praying for time to go. We shd have sealed it with Becchio's one one one but to be fair their defender made a great interception.

Eventually the whistle game and We could all breath easily ! Was a terrific game - great for my first one this year - to me we will always be capable of scoring goals but unfortunately, we at this level with these players are always likely to concded. Gona be a rollercoaster for sure.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Eblis Presley
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Eblis Presley »

Brown - 6
Connolly - 7
O'Brien - 6.5
Collins - 6
McCartney - 7.5
Snoddy - 8
Faye - 6
Howson - 7.5
Killa - 6.5
Gradel - 8
Becchio - 7
Telepres
First Team
First Team

Post by Telepres »

Brown - 8 - Let two in, but I loved him at the end just for keeping those freekicks out.
Connolly - 8 - Solid performance. Him and Snodgrass linked up well.
O'Brien - 7 - Decent. No real complaints.
Collins - 6 - Don't recall seeing him as much....
McCartney - 8 - Felt he showed his PL class at times. When Mcsheffrey? skinned our player (can't remember who it was) and McCartney managed to get a goalkick out of it. Brilliant.
Snoddy - 9 - Brilliant performance. Only one of two to stay active while they were pressuring us in the 2nd.
Faye - 10 - Might seem an ott score, but when he was on, he was stunning. Cut out every pass, made good passes of his own, put a couple of spot on tackles in. Just a shame he went off limping. Brilliant performance.
Howson - 8 - First half, just brilliant. Great performance. 2nd half, went missing again until the last 10 minutes.
Killa - 6 - Don't really recall much of his performance. Don't know why.
Gradel - 9 - The other one to stay alive under pressure. His energy eventually gained us a crucial penalty. Great pressure on their defence.
Becchio - 7 - Very good holdup play. Made movements in the box, linked up with other players better today.

Hughes - 7 - Usual performance, couple of errors, couple of decent plays, 100% effort. When Coventry were about to get the ball just outside the box, 3 on 1, and Hughes just dived in and headed it away. Brave, and got us a free kick.
Johnson - 6 - Only one point stood out. When he chased and chased McSheffrey and stopped him advancing. Just the type of effort you want to see from a Leeds player.
Somma - 8 - Just for doing a good job of holding the ball in the corner.

I said to a mate yesterday, Faye was my top player in the first half (close thing) but worried that both times he has played well, he's gone off limping. Hope that playing well doesn't always bugger him up. I also asked my mate whether we'd see that same level of performance and attitude on Tuesday. I hate to be negative, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't. Think we could get a big win against Bristol on Saturday though (if we play like yesterday).
Telepres
First Team
First Team

Post by Telepres »

Gurj wrote:Firts of all I have to say, very impressed with Ricoh - lovely ground. It was fantastic seeing the leeds end jam packed and just as the song went " the ground was full of leeds fans " . I unfortunately was in the Tesco Stand and whilst I loved the game ( and final score ) I hated being stuck around moaning, whingeing Cov fans. How I wanted to tell them to shut the flip up and sing MOT but decided that it probably wudnt have been the wisest of things to do LOL
No, that was "Yer just a town full of Leeds fans", as loads got taken from the home end and shoved in the corner. One came out a couple of minutes later with a steward running after him. Had to vault the fence haha.

I agree with your comments about the ground. Stunned me when I first walked in. Maybe the sun helped, but I thought it looked absolutely stunning. Looked bigger than 32k as well.
Eblis Presley
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Eblis Presley »

Telepres wrote:Brown - 8 - Let two in, but I loved him at the end just for keeping those freekicks out.
Connolly - 8 - Solid performance. Him and Snodgrass linked up well.
O'Brien - 7 - Decent. No real complaints.
Collins - 6 - Don't recall seeing him as much....
McCartney - 8 - Felt he showed his PL class at times. When Mcsheffrey? skinned our player (can't remember who it was) and McCartney managed to get a goalkick out of it. Brilliant.
Snoddy - 9 - Brilliant performance. Only one of two to stay active while they were pressuring us in the 2nd.
Faye - 10 - Might seem an ott score, but when he was on, he was stunning. Cut out every pass, made good passes of his own, put a couple of spot on tackles in. Just a shame he went off limping. Brilliant performance.
Howson - 8 - First half, just brilliant. Great performance. 2nd half, went missing again until the last 10 minutes.
Killa - 6 - Don't really recall much of his performance. Don't know why.
Gradel - 9 - The other one to stay alive under pressure. His energy eventually gained us a crucial penalty. Great pressure on their defence.
Becchio - 7 - Very good holdup play. Made movements in the box, linked up with other players better today.

Hughes - 7 - Usual performance, couple of errors, couple of decent plays, 100% effort. When Coventry were about to get the ball just outside the box, 3 on 1, and Hughes just dived in and headed it away. Brave, and got us a free kick.
Johnson - 6 - Only one point stood out. When he chased and chased McSheffrey and stopped him advancing. Just the type of effort you want to see from a Leeds player.
Somma - 8 - Just for doing a good job of holding the ball in the corner.

I said to a mate yesterday, Faye was my top player in the first half (close thing) but worried that both times he has played well, he's gone off limping. Hope that playing well doesn't always bugger him up. I also asked my mate whether we'd see that same level of performance and attitude on Tuesday. I hate to be negative, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't. Think we could get a big win against Bristol on Saturday though (if we play like yesterday).
Does your rating standard go all the way up to eleven (or beyond!)? :winky one:

Spot on about Snoddy and (particularly imo) Gradel.
We were under pressure at 3-2 (as we would've been had 2-1 lasted any longer) but that it never became a siege was down to the attacking threat we retained and some moments of quality from Max amongst others. Great work rate and the calming ability to retain posession and find colleagues in space. As good as i've seen him given the improved opposition this season.
Emsley
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Emsley »

Brown -7
Made some great saves, and split up play with the much needed "safe hands" On that form Kasper might have more to do! :!:
Connolly -7
Im not a big fan - but sounded like he did his job.

O'Brien -7

What can I say? Since he has come into the squad we have won twice in a row!

Collins - 6

I prefer Bruce over this guy

McCartney - 7

This guy is improving slowly - I heard a few "sneak" attacks come at him on the radio and he held firm and did a tidy job.

Snoddy - 9

About time!

Faye - 6

Whatever he is doing it working - heard him split up play a few times, the guy could still be a match winner but think this could be his last season as a top player...

Howson - 9

You are my sunshine - my only sunshine.
Killa - 7

Captain sensible.

Gradel - 8

Good work rate as usual, sent my nuts when he put the penalty in!

Becchio - 7

Doing well and coping well with his lone sticker role - nearly bagged a killer goal.

Hughes - 6
Johnson - 6
Somma - 6
WE''RE LEEDS UNITED, WE''LL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.
Sniffer72
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Sniffer72 »

Emsley wrote:Brown -7
Made some great saves, and split up play with the much needed "safe hands" On that form Kasper might have more to do! :!:
Connolly -7
Im not a big fan - but sounded like he did his job.

O'Brien -7

What can I say? Since he has come into the squad we have won twice in a row!

Collins - 6

I prefer Bruce over this guy

McCartney - 7

This guy is improving slowly - I heard a few "sneak" attacks come at him on the radio and he held firm and did a tidy job.

Snoddy - 9

About time!

Faye - 6

Whatever he is doing it working - heard him split up play a few times, the guy could still be a match winner but think this could be his last season as a top player...

Howson - 9

You are my sunshine - my only sunshine.
Killa - 7

Captain sensible.

Gradel - 8

Good work rate as usual, sent my nuts when he put the penalty in!

Becchio - 7

Doing well and coping well with his lone sticker role - nearly bagged a killer goal.

Hughes - 6
Johnson - 6
Somma - 6
That digital radio must be amazing :roll:
Sniffer72
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Sniffer72 »

My ratings (from inside the Ricoh ;-) ).

Brown -7 - not blame for either goal, but Schmeichel might have stopped both. Love his old man timewasting.
Connolly -7 - Solid performance, the Carl Dickinson figure we needed at right back
O'Brien -5 - disappointing, didn't win his header for both goals, same as Scunthorpe. Slower than Naylor.
Collins - 6 - Didn't close down for 2nd goal. But never stops with the effort.
McCartney - 7 - Solid performance. Better than Ben Parker.
Snoddy - 8 - Much better, his best game of the season so far. Great goal
Faye - 7 Average (just didn't see Telepres's 10), a bit too slow and lacks fitness
Howson - 8 Another great performance. Unlucky not have 2 goals. Loving his new role
Killa - 8 - We play better when Killa plays well (just like we did with Viduka). Another good performance
Gradel - 8 - Game and sparky all match. Would still play Sam before him but had two good starts now
Becchio - 6 - Not strong enough or fast enough. We need the ball to stick up front and Becchio much as I love him isn't capable of doing that at this level. Paynter probably can do.

Hughes - 5 - Gave the ball away virtually every time. All as expected.
Johnson - 6 - Didn't have as much impact as previous games, gave a silly foul away outside box near the end
Somma - 5 - If you come on for the last 10 minutes you run your arse off, needs to watch how Gradel plays supersub. Stop being a pretty boy and start fighting for your place.

Grayson -7 - Big win. Well done, great to see us kill the 5 minutes injury time....BUT find a way to put fire in the bellies at half time. We've come out slow too many times this season.

Fans - 8 - Dominated another ground. Record attendance. Nuff said

Overall: We were easily better than this lot, I can't see them finishing top 6. I can see us doing that if we cut out the silly errors. Again the centre backs were letting the ball bounce instead of heading. Schmeichel, Kisnorbo, Sam, Paynter would improve the starting eleven. Roll on Barmby's Boys