Bates upsets more Leeds Fans

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Bates upsets more Leeds Fans

Post by weasel »

There were angry scenes all over Leeds Utd messageboards today with several Leeds fans furious after Ken Bates opened the chequebook and spent around £1m on a single player meaning they could no longer attack Bates for a lack of spending.

Wonder what these fans will come up with next to attack the bearded messiah!!!!
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Bates upsets more Leeds Fans

Post by HarryofOz »

Were you giggling really loudly as you typed that
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
joluafc4eva

Post by joluafc4eva »

:-D :-D :-D
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

HarryofOz wrote:Were you giggling really loudly as you typed that
And drinking heavily I suspect.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Johnny Utah
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Johnny Utah »

weasel wrote:There were angry scenes all over Leeds Utd messageboards today with several Leeds fans furious after Ken Bates opened the chequebook and spent around £1m on a single player meaning they could no longer attack Bates for a lack of spending.

Bates lover....
KEN BATES IS AN EVIL CROOK
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Crude United wrote: And drinking heavily I suspect.
Nope, just one of those posters who don't think that anyone should be allowed to express an opinion that differs to theirs.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

Some people are more easily impressed than others, that's all.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Not at all Harry just that lots of people attack Bates for his lack of spending in the transfer market and seem to judge the quality of a signing by the fee paid whereas probably our best signing of the summer was Schmeichel on a free (and likewise last year was Kisnorbo on a free). Will McCormack prove to be better than the free signing Paynter or Somma etc

Messageboards though are all about opinions and if we all had the same opinion then the messageboard would be redundant - just does seem though that some people will attack Bates no matter what he does which was sort of why I posted this as it was poking a bit of fun at people who will hate/attack Bates no matter what he does.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

weasel wrote:There were angry scenes all over Leeds Utd messageboards today with several Leeds fans furious after Ken Bates opened the chequebook and spent around £1m on a single player meaning they could no longer attack Bates for a lack of spending.

If you believe what the bearded douche says, Larry can get whoever he wants. So why would anyone get mad at Kenny for not spending, when he has very little to do with it, so says he?
Last edited by Crude on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I still don't trust the bearded wonder

Credit to KB for spending the dosh that the loyal supporters have imputed into our club over the last three years

I posted on here only last week that we would need a cash outlay to bring in a decent proven goalscorer

Thank God we haven't gone down the Dickov/Dickinson/Trundle road who hindered our progress & probably destroyed team morale to a certain extent :!:

Speculate to gain comes to mind :)
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

weasel wrote:Messageboards though are all about opinions and if we all had the same opinion then the messageboard would be redundant - just does seem though that some people will attack Bates no matter what he does which was sort of why I posted this as it was poking a bit of fun at people who will hate/attack Bates no matter what he does.
Ah, so it's a clever wind-up. I think your post might find more windee-upper's over at the dark side, where those type of people exist, not here. Just saying.

1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Not at all Harry just that lots of people attack Bates for his lack of spending in the transfer market and seem to judge the quality of a signing by the fee paid whereas probably our best signing of the summer was Schmeichel on a free (and likewise last year was Kisnorbo on a free). Will McCormack prove to be better than the free signing Paynter or Somma etc

Messageboards though are all about opinions and if we all had the same opinion then the messageboard would be redundant - just does seem though that some people will attack Bates no matter what he does which was sort of why I posted this as it was poking a bit of fun at people who will hate/attack Bates no matter what he does.
I take it you'll be singing in the kop 'there's only one Ken Bates' at the Swansea game :lol:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Nope I just think Bates is doing a reasonable job as chairman. The club is stable - seems to be heading in the right direction on the field too. I guess I'm just more of a realist than a dreamer in that I don't expect us to splash loads of cash on transfer fees (even at Chelsea Bates was responsible for bringing in the likes of Gullit and Vialli on free transfers) rather that we'd be running a tight ship but able to attract the best of the available free signings etc.

Bates's style is not one to throw loads of money at the manager rather to build up the stadium and facilities as they provide guaranteed revenue streams and retain their value rather than players who can easily lose their value or clutter up the reserves side whilst still taking a huge wage (i.e. Robinson and Lubo).

For me the McCormack deal is surprising as we have paid a lot of money for a player who isn't hugely proven but will trust in SG's opinion of him. It might be that this deal has been lined up for a while which is why we didn't seriously pursue other higher profile signings.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Nope I just think Bates is doing a reasonable job as chairman. The club is stable - seems to be heading in the right direction on the field too. I guess I'm just more of a realist than a dreamer in that I don't expect us to splash loads of cash on transfer fees (even at Chelsea Bates was responsible for bringing in the likes of Gullit and Vialli on free transfers) rather that we'd be running a tight ship but able to attract the best of the available free signings etc.

Bates's style is not one to throw loads of money at the manager rather to build up the stadium and facilities as they provide guaranteed revenue streams and retain their value rather than players who can easily lose their value or clutter up the reserves side whilst still taking a huge wage (i.e. Robinson and Lubo).

For me the McCormack deal is surprising as we have paid a lot of money for a player who isn't hugely proven but will trust in SG's opinion of him. It might be that this deal has been lined up for a while which is why we didn't seriously pursue other higher profile signings.
I agree with most of your post weasel although you cannot build a decent team without investing some monies. I think even KB/Grayson realised we would need to spend on a transfer fee to replace Beckford

As i posted earlier credit to KB & Larry for injecting more quality players with pace too into our squad

Btw Ken sanctioned the Robbo/Lubo deals :(
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It may be a case that Paynter's injury is gonna take longer than expected to heal. I think there is a fine balance though between sensible investment and gambling (obviously not talking Ridsdale levels) and Ken duties are to provide his investors with the best return and whilst getting the club to the premiership is the best moneymaker even chucking £10m at the squad wouldn't guarantee anything. If you look at all the signings made by the championship sides I would argue that Schmeichel could be te best signing made.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Becchio sold though - just a feeling I have.
scuudz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by scuudz »

I think we have done some smart business in the transfer market this summer. I'm not sure if that has to do with the reputation of SG, LUFC, KB doing some shady stuff or some combination of all three.

Either way, from an 'outsider's' perspective (in that I don't live in England and don't get to watch many games), what I see is that we have finally arrested our fall down the football league and are finally moving in the right direction, and it has happened without spending a boat-load of money.

Whether KB cares about LUFC or not (I personally think he doesn't give a rat's a$$), the fact is he was chairman when we started moving in the right direction, and for that I will give him SOME credit.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:It may be a case that Paynter's injury is gonna take longer than expected to heal. I think there is a fine balance though between sensible investment and gambling (obviously not talking Ridsdale levels) and Ken duties are to provide his investors with the best return and whilst getting the club to the premiership is the best moneymaker even chucking £10m at the squad wouldn't guarantee anything. If you look at all the signings made by the championship sides I would argue that Schmeichel could be te best signing made.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Becchio sold though - just a feeling I have.
Kasper is a unbelievable signing, fantastic acquistion for us
CSA
First Team
First Team

Post by CSA »

Crude United wrote: Ah, so it's a clever wind-up. I think your post might find more windee-upper's over at the dark side, where those type of people exist, not here. Just saying.
There will never ever never be a reasoned debate about the merit's or shortcomings of Bates (if you show support for him you would be torn apart and accused of taking part in all sorts of sexual acts upon his person). Its gone too far now, it's like some 'supporters' would prefer to display their hatred for Man U more than their love for Leeds, i for one find it sickening and personally couldn't give a flying f*ck at a rolling doughnut if i was the only one sat down during a 'stand up if you hate Man U' rendition.(BTW i am not a flask and blanket supporter either have followed LUFC the length and breadth of the country for many years and got into some right old scrapes in the past)It is now the same with Bates no matter what he does in the future to move the club forward, for some he will always be a hate figure and reviled, i find it pathetic, and all because he wont run the club like Ridsdale and buy us loads of lovely new players for millions and millions of pounds all on tens of thousands a week, in all honesty he probably is a shady mister who does sail too close to the rocks at times and i would love for some sugar daddy to come in and give us a big bag of spending money but we all know it aint gonna happen any time soon, so we will have to make do with our 8 or 9 shrewd signings and move on.

BTW been poorly all week and on Tramadol but still beleive i am thinking straight
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CSA wrote: There will never ever never be a reasoned debate about the merit's or shortcomings of Bates (if you show support for him you would be torn apart and accused of taking part in all sorts of sexual acts upon his person). Its gone too far now, it's like some 'supporters' would prefer to display their hatred for Man U more than their love for Leeds, i for one find it sickening and personally couldn't give a flying f*ck at a rolling doughnut if i was the only one sat down during a 'stand up if you hate Man U' rendition.(BTW i am not a flask and blanket supporter either have followed LUFC the length and breadth of the country for many years and got into some right old scrapes in the past)It is now the same with Bates no matter what he does in the future to move the club forward, for some he will always be a hate figure and reviled, i find it pathetic, and all because he wont run the club like Ridsdale and buy us loads of lovely new players for millions and millions of pounds all on tens of thousands a week, in all honesty he probably is a shady mister who does sail too close to the rocks at times and i would love for some sugar daddy to come in and give us a big bag of spending money but we all know it aint gonna happen any time soon, so we will have to make do with our 8 or 9 shrewd signings and move on.

BTW been poorly all week and on Tramadol but still beleive i am thinking straight
Get well soon CSA
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

CSA wrote:BTW been poorly all week and on Tramadol but still beleive i am thinking straight
Take of yourself CSA, hope you are feeling better soon.