Leeds United v Southampton - Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds United v Southampton - Match Thread

Post by weasel »

Chilli D wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:35 am Before our last game of the season against Southampton I said I would be amazed if Martin risked Adam Armstrong and Adams in a nothing game for them.
Boy has that decision bitten him on the arse.
I think Martin Russell wanted to beat us to lay down a amrker for the play-offs and get in our heads. Hopefully, like you said, it backfires. Also hopefully it has given Farke more of an idea of what doesn't work v Southampton and what might work.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

My Leeds beer glass was smashed TO SMITHEREENS no less the other day when I was drying it off.

Last season I got a hole in my Leeds socks and my bottle opener stopped playing MOT.

We know what happened then.

Doomed now.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

weasel wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:00 am I think Martin Russell wanted to beat us to lay down a amrker for the play-offs and get in our heads. Hopefully, like you said, it backfires. Also hopefully it has given Farke more of an idea of what doesn't work v Southampton and what might work.
Possibly although there was no guarantee we would both make the final.
The two regular season results does give them a slight psychological edge I suppose, although the game at St Mary's was very early in the season and the one at ER was virtually a dead rubber.
As you say, hopefully DF has studied both games and his tactics on Sunday work.
From our perspective, Geo looked back to his absolute best against Norwich which is a massive plus for us.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

The recieved wisdom seems to point to pressing SH high in an attempt to force them into chaos.

That being the case do we bring back Bamford?
He does love a cone back from injury goal.

Asking for a friend
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Straight from the players mouths....

Source: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d_1oIXGSTK8
In Farke we trust...
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

From the presser, no Bamford on Sunday.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:04 pm From the presser, no Bamford on Sunday.
No Bamford no cry :)
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Ross Stewart and Che Adams are fit for Sunday confirms Russell Martin.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Leeds United manager Daniel Farke has been speaking to the media before Sunday's Championship play-off final against Southampton at Wembley (15:00 BST kick-off).

Here are the key lines from his news conference:

Striker Patrick Bamford definitely misses the match because of injury, but defender Sam Byram will hopefully be declared fit after Saturday's training session. The rest of the squad is available bar long-term injured duo Pascal Struijk and Stuart Dallas, who was forced to retire recently.

On the mood of the squad: "We're pretty focused and concentrated. We know it's a decisive game, but it's important to stay calm and stay balanced. We're highly motivated, exactly like our opponent. It's a 50-50 game."

On Southampton: "They're one of the best sides in the Championship. They've got experienced players and a classy coach. The club is not nervous. It's difficult to beat them. This was proven in the first two games."

Farke said he always sensed Saints boss Russell Martin, who played under him at Norwich City, would become a head coach: “He was my captain at Norwich and always looked at things through a manager's eyes."

On the prospect of taking Leeds to the Premier League: "I signed a contract because I believed the club and community were ready and deserved to be in the Premier League. I want to work at the top level. The Premier League is the best league in the world. I am highly motivated."

Asked if they will visit Wembley before the game, Farke said they might do early on Sunday but that is still to be decided, adding: "Rituals are always good so we'll stick to our usual processes. It'll be normal preparation, nothing too special."

Farke said he is glad not to have seen his face splashed all over the Trinity Centre in Leeds: "I’m too old for that. It should be players like Georginio Rutter, Crysencio Summerville, Joel Piroe and Illan Meslier in the spotlight."
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Go on Junior have the game of your life......for all our sakes :

Junior Firpo insists Leeds United did not buckle under the pressure of the Championship and that their players' mindset has never changed during the season.

Speaking to the PA news agency he said: "It was difficult, but for me I think it's more about a lot of players having played a lot of games.

"Players played 50 games - that's a lot. Especially at the end of the season, when you need players as fresh as possible. People were tired with knocks, with little injuries or whatever.

"So I think the most important thing that we did was recover from the physical side, because our mindset did not change - if it's not automatic promotion, we'll go up through the play-offs."

Ahead of Sunday's play-off final against Southampton, the defender who has played 28 Championship games this season, said: "It's not every day you can play in a final. It doesn't matter if it's a play-off final or whatever.

"It's a final. It's 90 minutes. It will be a nervy game, a difficult game I think, but if I have to pick one team in the final, I pick us."
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

The hope and the worry
published at 17:46 23 May
17:46 23 May
Adam Blackmore
BBC Radio Solent sports editor

Southampton expert view banner
Our BBC Radio Solent team - who you'll no doubt be following on the Goin' Home with Adam and Jo podcast - are considering their points of hope and worry before the play-off final against Leeds.

Blackmore's hope

What gives me hope is that Saints have beaten Leeds twice this season, so they go into the game knowing they can win. They have steeled themselves since the end of April and I feel there is a toughness and determination to them currently which means they won’t lose their heads at Wembley.

Blackmore's worry

Simply the talent at Leeds' disposal and the occasion. If Gnonto and Summerville thrive in the atmosphere of a full house at Wembley they’ll be tough to slow down.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Former Southampton defender Francis Benali has been discussing Sunday's Championship play-off final against Leeds on the Football Daily 72+ podcast:

"When you look at the league positions, third against fourth, you can have no arguments. It's a game I'm so excited for, I'm so pumped.

"I think it will be a very tough game for Southampton because, although we have beaten them home and away in the league I think a game like this is a complete one-off.

"There may be a little bit of a psychological element from winning those two games through the season but this is something unique and the prize we know is a huge one for both teams.

"It's going to be a game anyone would like to sit and watch. I don't expect it to be anything other than a game of high quality, full of excitement. We could be in for a real classic."

Leeds qualified for the play-off final by thrashing Norwich 4-0 at Elland Road while Southampton saw off West Brom at St Mary's.

Over the full season, Saints scored more goals 87 to 81 but also conceded 20 more than their Wembley opponents (63 to 43).

"I think Leeds have real threat about them - they're dangerous," said Benali. "We saw what they did to Norwich and they can blow teams away.

"Saints will have to be at their best to beat them on Sunday.

"That mindset and ability as a player and manager to handle the occasion is going to have a huge impact on the outcome."

"I think Russell Martin has done an outstanding job. There is a real identity to how they play and it's been so entertaining to watch them. That connection he has with the supporters, the players, the staff - there is a real positive down here on the South Coast.

"Hopefully he will be here for many years."

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live's 72+ podcast, former Reading midfielder Jobi McAnuff said of the prospect of playing at Wembley: "Particularly for a Championship final in terms of 80-odd thousand people, Wembley cut in half, your fans on one side of it and theirs on the other - it's just the scale of it.

"We're fortunate enough to go there and watch games and it just takes your breath away. It doesn't matter how many times you have done it or what capacity you are in, you just know you are the one out there who has to go and perform.

"It's all about how quickly you can start and how quick you can settle. Then you can go and play the game rather than letting everything around you distract you, which it can do. We saw over the weekend it happen with Bolton and it can be quite a daunting place at times."

Ex-Bolton defender and current manager of Kidderminster Harriers Phil Brown added: "Even when you have gone into the stadium or the same size of stadium, when you are a captain you are walking along and introducing your team-mates you sometimes forget their names.

"If you're a manager you are stood next to all that heat that comes bursting out with flames and all your thinking is to try to get the first thing you do be a positive thing for your club or for your game or team that day, and if it comes off it can win a game."

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Adam Pope
BBC Radio Leeds reporter

Expert view banner
Our BBC Radio Leeds team - who you'll no doubt be following on the Don't Go To Bed Just Yet podcast - are considering their points of hope and worry before the play-off final against Southampton.

Pope's hope

The annihilation of Norwich City in the semi-final and the vibes coming off the players in its aftermath. It was United’s best performance of the season considering the pressure they were under to deliver. Speaking to several of the squad on Monday I could sense a steely and quiet confidence about winning promotion at Wembley and changing the club’s play-off history.

Pope's worry

Southampton’s midfield of Flynn Downes, Will Smallbone and Joe Aribo is powerful and full of running. United have to dominate this area because I feel in the other departments they are already stronger.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Southampton manager Russell Martin has confirmed that Che Adams and Ross Stewart will be available for this Sunday's Championship play-off final. Southampton travel to Wembley to compete with Leeds United for a spot in next season's Premier League line-up and they'll be boosted by the availability of two of their most potent front men.

Adams has been missing since picking up a calf injury in the win over Leeds earlier this month and consequently missed both legs of the club's play-off semi-final with West Bromwich Albion. However, Martin was confident last week that the forward, who has bagged 16 Championship goals this season, would be fit enough to play some part at the national stadium and he has now confirmed the attackers availability.

There had also been some uncertainty around the fitness of Ross Stewart, who made the £10 million switch from Sunderland to Southampton last summer. Injuries have prevented the Scot from making more than four appearances this season for the south coast club and after picking up a slight knock in training, he wasn't risked in the club's semi-final second leg against the Baggies as he watched the entirety of the game from the bench.

However, while it remains to be seen if he is in a position to start the contest, Martin has confirmed the attacker is fit enough to travel. With no other fresh injury concerns emerging, the news means Southampton will be without just three players, Gavin Bazunu, Stuart Armstrong and Juan Larios, when they take on Wembley.

“Che’s back, Ross Stewart is back, so it’s only Stu Armstrong and Gavin Bazunu that are out, and Juan Larios, but they’ve all been long-term injuries," Martin said, per the Southampton website.

Get a personalised Leeds United news round-up when you sign up for our free Leeds United newsletter email.

“We’re really delighted to have Che back and have Ross back training properly as well. He took a knock last week so it’s exciting for us and really great for Che.

“Probably would’ve been easy for Che being out of contract with the EUROs around the corner to make himself unavailable, but he did everything he could to make himself available and come through training really well these last two days.”

The news won't necessarily please Daniel Farke, who will be without Patrick Bamford for the fifth straight game due to a knee issue.

;@)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:04 pm From the presser, no Bamford on Sunday.
What a shocker that is :shock:

Still nursing his bruised knee?

Good news is that it means we'll have a finisher on the pitch :tup:

And another chomping at the bit on the bench :love:
ddapp
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ddapp »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:24 am Best advice i can offer you ddapp - Feckin get out while you still can, but it may already be too late.

Other than that, welcome to the rest of your life in the trials, tribulations, false hopes, expectations, let downs, sheer feckin heartache, mental anguish, suicidal tendencies etc etc etc of a LUFC fan and supporter.

On the + side, always remember, there's a fckin mad group of us in your hour of need, but some, might be that little push you need to tilt you off the edge.

I'm 60yo this time, first found LUFC aged 5, and in those 55 years i've had about 5 happy ones old enough to remember, gone thru umpteen relations, and could've done time for murder.

Btw, i can't wait for Sunday and my annual ritual of self flagellation :tup:

On the morning of Sunday, you may well find me in church.
Sunday evening, the morgue.
Love it! Great advice. Too late for me, it’s in my blood now. I’m locked in for life and have committed to seeing a game at ER before I die!!
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Could’ve done time for murder 🤔
Have you buried someone under the patio.
Geronimo maybe?
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Weasel, how we gonna win this ?

;@)
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:38 pm Weasel, how we gonna win this ?
Score more goals than Southampton !
Keeping The Faith