The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 17th June) - Roca set to be unveiled as Leeds United player

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 17th June) - Roca set to be unveiled as Leeds United player

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:14 pm Marc and his girlfriend Gala Escamilla have two dachshunds, Brodie and Louis!

Love that photo.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 17th June) - Roca set to be unveiled as Leeds United player

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:11 am Love that photo.
And they had the foresight to predict the thunderstorms!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Aussieleeds wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:53 pm Apart from Raph have any signings in the last 3 seasons even met expectations?
Rodrigo - no
Llorente - no
Koch - no
Firpo - no
James - no
JKA - not quite

€100m + and nothing more than bang average PL players … or worse.

Oh, there was Meslier … but he was one of those developmental players we don’t want Marsch to sign, right?

Marsch does not have a high bar to beat when it comes to making value for money signings.
To be fair ALL those signings apart from Llorente were Bielsa's signings.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Cumbriarents wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:09 pm If we hadnt signed them players above we definitely wouldn't have been in the Prem.

They all have been poor sometimes but had some good games also, that's got us a few points.

How much money has Everton, scum, spurs just to name a few wasted
Exactly, clubs like Villa hose money at players to stay up on a dodgy VAR decision. Brighton spent the bones of 60 million to find goals from Jakanbesh, Locadia and Maupay. Pepe cost Arsenal 70 or 80 million and took a couple of seasons to find form.

For a club that should know from our last manager that it is possible to coach players to do better, this insistence that we should write off players after a season or 2 and get out the chequebook is odd.

I don't think Roca is a superstar, but he's a Leeds player. If he replaces Phillips and they face each other at Maine Road in a few months, I hope Roca puts him through the advertising hoarding. Fairly!
Bluebucket
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Bluebucket »

Aussieleeds wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:53 pm Apart from Raph have any signings in the last 3 seasons even met expectations?
Rodrigo - no
Llorente - no
Koch - no
Firpo - no
James - no
JKA - not quite

€100m + and nothing more than bang average PL players … or worse.

Oh, there was Meslier … but he was one of those developmental players we don’t want Marsch to sign, right?

Marsch does not have a high bar to beat when it comes to making value for money signings.
Bang on, mate. Add Costa and Poveda to the list as well.
:scar1
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Bluebucket wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:50 am Bang on, mate. Add Costa and Poveda to the list as well.
It's fine as an opinion but that's all it is... I don't agree, not even close.
Cry Summerville and let slip the dogs of war

PRO Leeds ... Are You?

THE LAST REMAINING ORTA/RADS FAN
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

faaip wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:36 am It's fine as an opinion but that's all it is... I don't agree, not even close.
Given Koch, Llorente and Firpo were part of a defence that conceded 79 goals, and Rodrigo and James cost £50m plus between them, I’m interested to know which of those listed have met expectations … in your opinion?
Kennyb41
First Team
First Team

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'll stick my neck out and say Roca will be better than KP in a MF role, on paper this looks a potential cracking deal for 10m and he has pedigree.

My only concern, the clown bought him.

I wonder how many times he's seen him play.
A self-confessed lover of Bigots, Walts, Otters and Dandelions.
Young Kennyboy :roflmao:
Must dash.
8-)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Last season was an abberation for all the reasons which are well documented.

Evaluating any player on the basis of what happened last time is imo flawed.

Let's see how they do with a settled side and some proper defensive screening
'We can wait for the next game with serenity' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins

"Anyone need a hug? Jesse Marsch
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

No two defences started consecutive weeks til the final 2/3 weeks. That's huge in terms of continuity and understanding. Phillips missed a lot of games, Koch/Llorente/Struijk/Ayling/Dallas played out of position a fair bit or were constantly switched round, no continuity at the DMF position. Firpo in his first season in England clearly needs time... but he did show excellent positioning at times covering for out of position CB's. He also looked very dangerous if he got toward the by line.
Cry Summerville and let slip the dogs of war

PRO Leeds ... Are You?

THE LAST REMAINING ORTA/RADS FAN
BGwhite
Manager
Manager

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote: Love that photo.
The money he's on he should be living in a place better than that !!

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

March712
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by March712 »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:26 pm The money he's on he should be living in a place better than that !!

I think that's the lift, rather than his flat? :duno:
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:14 pm I'll stick my neck out and say Roca will be better than KP in a MF role, on paper this looks a potential cracking deal for 10m and he has pedigree.

My only concern, the clown bought him.

I wonder how many times he's seen him play.
I’m sure the clown, as you put it, has seen much more of Roca than either of us. He spends all day, every day, evaluating talent. Probably a little better than either of us at that. I’m very much looking forward to seeing all three of the new signings.
Kennyb41
First Team
First Team

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'd say 2 if not all 3 were Jesses finds.

He spends all day evaluating talent ! (best to leave that alone)

I've seen nowt of Roca, i'd be prepared to bet that's more than the clown, and no, he is not better than me, you i should imagine yes.
Must dash.
8-)
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:01 pm I'd say 2 if not all 3 were Jesses finds.

He spends all day evaluating talent ! (best to leave that alone)

I've seen nowt of Roca, i'd be prepared to bet that's more than the clown, and no, he is not better than me, you i should imagine yes.
Well that settles it for me. I know when I’m in the presence of a superior intellect.

I’m sending a letter to Radz right now demanding that you be put in charge of player acquisition and development.
Kennyb41
First Team
First Team

Post by Kennyb41 »

I haven't the time.
Must dash.
8-)
Kennyb41
First Team
First Team

Post by Kennyb41 »

H'mmm yum yum, the clown in charge of development.

Now if you actually believe that, well.
Must dash.
8-)
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

faaip wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:16 pm No two defences started consecutive weeks til the final 2/3 weeks. That's huge in terms of continuity and understanding. Phillips missed a lot of games, Koch/Llorente/Struijk/Ayling/Dallas played out of position a fair bit or were constantly switched round, no continuity at the DMF position. Firpo in his first season in England clearly needs time... but he did show excellent positioning at times covering for out of position CB's. He also looked very dangerous if he got toward the by line.
Agree entirely.

Koch and Llorente are decent players. We have four (maybe even five) center backs now that, with the new signings, ought to be able to spend the next season playing only their preferred position. I expect we concede far fewer goals next season.
BGwhite
Manager
Manager

Post by BGwhite »

March712 wrote: I think that's the lift, rather than his flat? :duno:
Splendid ! ImageImage

March712
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by March712 »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:35 pm Splendid ! ImageImage

Levity is everything...sometimes anyway. :)